Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 03:02 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times

Advertisements

I ask,"why do you want it?" If you don't want to give it, don't. I don't think one is compelled to do so. A few times I have been asked and politely refused. Police person laughed and that was the end of it.

Still trying to determine the correct/legal answer to this. And still believe one should support the ACLU.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Common sense is not allowed here.

So the OP spoke with the police about a crime, wants them to write a report but won't give his wife's name or his? Lol. Ok.
I gave names and phone numbers what I am talking about is asking for her date of birth that was unusual. I had my own truck broken into and called the police myself they took a report I wasn't asked for my ID or DOB.

When they ask for DOB they are trying to run your name against their database

Old 09-20-2018, 03:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
He only wanted the information for his report that he has to make. They need this type of information to forward their investigation. It doesn't mean that they are investigating her personally, at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Common sense is not allowed here.

So the OP spoke with the police about a crime, wants them to write a report but won't give his wife's name or his? Lol. Ok.

if the wife is not part of the crime, either as a witness, victim, or perpetrator, then the office has no reason to identify her. it like if you are a passenger in a car, and the driver gets stopped for lets say speeding, the cop can identify the driver, but since the passengers are just that, they can refuse to identify themselves since they are not part of the violation. the cop can try to identify them, but they dont have to tell the cop anything.

you also have fifth amendment rights as well. if a cop stops you for any reason, you have the right not to talk to them. but you have to establish your right to remain silent by telling the cop you refuse to answer questions.

you might think telling the cop you are coming from home and heading to work are innocent questions, but they have nothing to do with the stop, its none of the cops business where you are coming from or going to. in fact if the cop gets everyone out of the car on a traffic stop, and you told him you are going to work coming from home, and someone else says you are heading over to a friends house and coming from the store, and someone else says something else, then you are giving the cop a reason to dig further, because now he might be suspecting you of a crime.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:10 PM

I also have issue with when pulled over for an infraction like speeding asked where I'm coming from and where I'm going I don't have to provide that information. I just tell them I'm going East or west if where I'm coming from.

If your pulled over for speeding you have to provide a DL or you can be arrested that is lawful you don't have to say anything else other then handing your papers over to him and accepting the ticket.

There was a case in NJ where officer pulled over an attorney who was asked if she knew she was speeding. She refused to answer his questions other the handing over required papers and DL. She was arrested and even told that she had the right to remain silent she filed lawsuit settled for 30k. https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...ts-settlement/

Old 09-20-2018, 03:11 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I haven't made the lifestyle choices which have made it necessary for me to be dealing with the police.

So it's not an issue.
You never walk? I went for a walk one evening and was stopped by a cop who called for backup because of my cane. I had done nothing and they were not looking for anyone. I actually was nice and polite and gave him my ID and he was still rude and hateful.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Police can ask for ID for any reason. They especially check for outstanding warrants because there are a lot of them out there and people lie all the time. Cop doesn't know who you are.

Wrong. This ain't NAZI Germany 1930's.
I'm I being detained?
I'm I suspected of a crime ocifer?
No... Well see you later and have a nice day.

We are free with liberties with a right to life, liberty and property.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
He asked for your wifes info, didn't ask for yours correct?
Didnt even ask for the wife's ID.

She was a witness to a crime. Of course they wanted her name. I can't imagine being so paranoid in life to think the police asking for a witness' name means they' re out to get you.

If they catch the guy and it goes to trial, they might need people to testify. They can't just say "a neighbor" will testifying. They want a name. And the trial might not happen right away, so a name, birth date, and previous address might help to track down any witnesses that have moved away.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Didnt even ask for the wife's ID.

She was a witness to a crime. Of course they wanted her name. I can't imagine being so paranoid in life to think the police asking for a witness' name means they' re out to get you.

If they catch the guy and it goes to trial, they might need people to testify. They can't just say "a neighbor" will testifying. They want a name. And the trial might not happen right away, so a name, birth date, and previous address might help to track down any witnesses that have moved away.
As I state again and again names and phone numbers were giving he wanted DOB which I have never been asked that before ever even when reporting a theft of my own property. I'm not paranoid, but it was not something I think should be asked. He had our home address he could have just sent detectives or called us have us come down to police station to ID someone. This officer wanted her DOB so he could run her name possible warrant. The police never even lift a finger to find a thief breaking into homes all they say is call your insurance company.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I also have issue with when pulled over for an infraction like speeding asked where I'm coming from and where I'm going I don't have to provide that information. I just tell them I'm going East or west if where I'm coming from.

dont tell them anything at all. in fact your best bet is to just say i am sorry officer but i dont answer ANY questions. where you are going to where you are coming from, even in general terms, is just none of their business. if they ask you why you were pulled over, or how fast you were going, again sorry officer i dont answer questions.

if we dont stand up for our rights, then they are going to go away completely, and we will become nazi germany or soviet russia. we already have secret police forces in this country, they are part of the alphabet soup "intelligence" agencies.

and if you do decide to video public buildings, and the cops try the old, "well in this day in age of terrorism and such", tell them that is bull crap because google earth can give you more information than standing outside the federal building on public property can.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:23 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Have you noticed that police seem to always want an ID when ever you come into contact with them. Most states only allow them to do that if you are suspected of a crime. When you get pulled over for speeding I get that they can ask for ID. I'm seeing so many videos now online where people are constantly asked for ID. Personal example was wife went home for lunch saw a man standing on my neighbors lawn didn't know him she called me asked what to do. I thought it was someone putting fliers on doors, so we didn't do anything. Later that day his alarm goes off someone was trying to break into the home.

When I get home I go over there and tell the officer who is taking a report what my wife say he asks for her name and Date of birth. I asked him why do you need that if you want to talk to her I can call her outside I can give you her phone number. He didn't want that at all I gave it to him even though I shouldn't have. What I suspect he wanted to run her name see if she had warrants had nothing to do with her being a witness. People in this country who are law abiding should not have be subjected to constant background checks what happend to the presumption of innocence.
How else are the police officers going to ascertain your identity and the credibility of your status? It's a tool in the steps to find out what the truth is. The problem is that people lie for stupid reasons and hinder investigation so just help the police take care of you instead of making their job harder. I can just see you complaining to them about it when it was at your request they are there to help you. Don't be so sensitive.
You don't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies