Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 05:41 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as i said, go ahead and roll over for your government masters, and let them abrogate you constitutional rights. forget that the constitution was put in place to LIMIT government, and limit government abuse of power.
I don't care what you said. They are not my government masters. You sound brain-washed like some anti-government conspiracy theorist. It takes 1 minute to show them ID. If you feel compelled after the fact, then make a complaint/law suit/whatever.

If you have done nothing wrong, how hard is it to show ID? It's not like anyone will be asked to show ID from a police officer everyday. The scenario probably happens once in a blue moon, so what is the big deal about 1 minute of inconvenience?

Many of these issues with IDs and police, particularly among black people, escalate into something much worse because of pride. People like you and your "government masters" attitude are making a mountain out of a molehill, and are why these incidents blow up into something that could have easily been avoided!

Old 09-21-2018, 05:49 AM

27,127 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Have you noticed that police seem to always want an ID when ever you come into contact with them. Most states only allow them to do that if you are suspected of a crime. When you get pulled over for speeding I get that they can ask for ID. I'm seeing so many videos now online where people are constantly asked for ID. Personal example was wife went home for lunch saw a man standing on my neighbors lawn didn't know him she called me asked what to do. I thought it was someone putting fliers on doors, so we didn't do anything. Later that day his alarm goes off someone was trying to break into the home.

When I get home I go over there and tell the officer who is taking a report what my wife say he asks for her name and Date of birth. I asked him why do you need that if you want to talk to her I can call her outside I can give you her phone number. He didn't want that at all I gave it to him even though I shouldn't have. What I suspect he wanted to run her name see if she had warrants had nothing to do with her being a witness. People in this country who are law abiding should not have be subjected to constant background checks what happend to the presumption of innocence.
This is not jut an American issue, its an issue in other countries as well.

The Law in most countries is that the police can only request your name if your suspected of a crime and they are supposed to inform you of what you are suspected of, otherwise you don't have to tell them anything and can simply walk away. There must also be reasonable suspicion in relation to any stop and search and these grounds should be fully explained to you.

In England & Wales the police use lots of often irrelevant legislation to try and get names and addresses from Anti-Social Behaviour Legislation under Section 50 of the Police Reform Act 2002 as well as Section 1 Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 right through to Terrorism Act 2000 and numerous other such legislation There are sadly numerous youtube videos of innocent people such as photographers and others who have been the subject to the police making the law up as they go along.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-21-2018 at 06:34 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 05:58 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
Just show your damn ID and or give the necessary info and be over with it! If you’re clean, it should only take a minute, SMH 🤦*♂️

TBH, I’m glad law enforcement ID people randomly without reason.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Just show your damn ID and or give the necessary info and be over with it! If you’re clean, it should only take a minute, SMH 🤦*♂️

TBH, I’m glad law enforcement ID people randomly without reason.
I don't agree.

Unless they have reasonable grounds the police should not be just randomly asking people to account for themselves.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:44 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I don't agree.

Unless they have reasonable grounds the police should not be just randomly asking people to account for themselves.

Well, it goes both ways.

On one hand, there is being proactive and safe guarding the location by being inquisitive. After all, why does one think that hijacking El Al flights is not an often item?

On the other hand, if one doesn't like it, then change the laws so it isn't done.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:50 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,978,302 times
Quote:
Have you noticed that police seem to always want an ID when ever you come into contact with them. Most states only allow them to do that if you are suspected of a crime. When you get pulled over for speeding I get that they can ask for ID. I'm seeing so many videos now online where people are constantly asked for ID. Personal example was wife went home for lunch saw a man standing on my neighbors lawn didn't know him she called me asked what to do. I thought it was someone putting fliers on doors, so we didn't do anything. Later that day his alarm goes off someone was trying to break into the home.

When I get home I go over there and tell the officer who is taking a report what my wife say he asks for her name and Date of birth. I asked him why do you need that if you want to talk to her I can call her outside I can give you her phone number. He didn't want that at all I gave it to him even though I shouldn't have. What I suspect he wanted to run her name see if she had warrants had nothing to do with her being a witness. People in this country who are law abiding should not have be subjected to constant background checks what happend to the presumption of innocence.
To check for warrants.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, it goes both ways.

On one hand, there is being proactive and safe guarding the location by being inquisitive. After all, why does one think that hijacking El Al flights is not an often item?

On the other hand, if one doesn't like it, then change the laws so it isn't done.
I am talking about a general stop and account or stop and search on a public street rather than an airport or some other critical infrastructure or secure location such as a military base.

In terms of someone going about their business on a normal public street, the police must have a good reason to stop them or to make them account for themselves, take their details or even stop and search them.

This is what seperates an accountable police service from secret police who monitor peoples activities without reason and who can request papers and details at will, and who can even ask you to account for your movements at will.

It's also the reason that there must be a reasonable grounds and suspicion in most countries as well as oversight of the police.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:06 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I always wondered when sitting in traffic or at lights if cops run your plate just for something to do.
Where I live I think plates are run automatically to check registration and insurance.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 AM

27,537 posts, read 28,625,446 times
People who criticize the police usually do questionable things themselves. They are just pissed that they can't get away with it.

Funny how that works.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:25 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
I gave names and phone numbers what I am talking about is asking for her date of birth that was unusual. I had my own truck broken into and called the police myself they took a report I wasn't asked for my ID or DOB.

When they ask for DOB they are trying to run your name against their database

OR, they want to make sure they'll have the RIGHT "Debbie Smith" or "Mary Jones" etc. Does your wife have a somewhat common name?

Plus...people steal I.D.s There's a lot of stories out there about the crack head uncle or aunt who uses their baby niece's or nephew's I.D. and SS#.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.