U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2018, 01:25 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,151 posts, read 38,236,149 times
Reputation: 26647

Advertisements

I believe a better question would be why are so many conservatives unconcerned with a man who lies for sport as Trump does? I was flipping thru the channels one day and saw him being interviewed, they were talking about Russia and Trump claimed they lost 50,000,000 in WW II, that number's not remotely close to factual. He just makes stuff up and his supporters don't give a rat's ass. WHY is that? WHAT's so attractive about a compulsive liar?


And what he has said of Mexicans is: “They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”


Saying "some, I ASSume, are good people" isn't far removed from saying they're all rapists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2018, 02:28 PM
 
15,851 posts, read 8,434,313 times
Reputation: 6279
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I agree with you, Politifact for the win, and I'll be sure to bring it up to you when you defend the President after he makes a misstep.



He (the President) has some of the oddest speech patterns ever. If you look at what he says literally, it's often complete nonsense or phrased in such a way that what he clearly means is deniable. Yet there IS a clear meaning to it that is relatively easy to understand, and in many cases that meaning is cruel, obviously misleading, or needlessly inflammatory.



I would like our President to be Presidential, and that means diplomatic, measured, and adult-even when he's delivering bad news or doing unpopular things that he, as our leader, feels are necessary.
If you can comprehend my simple argument you would already understand that I freely admit that Trump says BS/offensive things regularly.

Which is why I am stunned that so many liberals feel the need to lie to attack Trump. Why the persistence with the lie on this? Why should anyone accept the lie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 02:32 PM
 
15,851 posts, read 8,434,313 times
Reputation: 6279
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I believe a better question would be why are so many conservatives unconcerned with a man who lies for sport as Trump does?
Since Trump lies often, why not just focus on the real lies - instead of lying about what Trump says???

Don't you think some conservatives dig in their heels to defend Trump when they see so many liberal lies against him?

A lot of Obama supporters constantly overlooked/justified/lied about his lies and sometimes when confronted they would make an excuse of defending him from previous unfair attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Woodlands, TX
1,170 posts, read 595,416 times
Reputation: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
I remember him saying" Mexico doesn't send us their finest...they re all rapists and criminals."
Oh and also he s always saying that "democrats want open borders" ...which is funny because his top econ guy Cohn told Trump open borders are important to big business .

Trump is lyin up a storm to hold onto 29 percent when if he would just "go with the experts" he d hit upwards of 70 80 percent popularity.
But no, he listens to Hope Hicks tell him the press has oppositional defiance disorder and is out to get him...and hangs onto " Hillary is much worse...lock her up" two years and running.

What he does daily is shoot himSELF in the foot.

I highlighted the error for you.

I don't ever recall hearing the word "All".

Pull up all the word for word quotes and show me where he ever said "All".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
2,633 posts, read 4,394,862 times
Reputation: 4213
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If you can comprehend my simple argument you would already understand that I freely admit that Trump says BS/offensive things regularly.

Which is why I am stunned that so many liberals feel the need to lie to attack Trump. Why the persistence with the lie on this? Why should anyone accept the lie?
If YOU could comprehend MY simple point, I acknowledge he didn’t say ‘all’ Mexicans are rapists. In his clumsy and strangely worded way, he dang sure implied it, and you know it-regardless of what PolitiFact says.

If you don’t know it, you’re simply ignoring the context or playing stupid. Those two characteristics appear to be common among his defenders. I’m not calling those supporters by the term ‘conservatives’, because to me, Reagan was conservative. President Trump’s supporters call themselves conservative but are something different entirely than Reagan conservatives-and that thing isn’t necessarily wholesome or good for our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
11,051 posts, read 11,460,740 times
Reputation: 17209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Trump never sald 'all Mexicans are rapists' and I dare anyone to prove that he did.
Nobody said all Republicans are rapists, but a lot of them are. Some, I assume, are good people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 06:35 PM
 
15,287 posts, read 16,839,007 times
Reputation: 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I went to a film and panel discussion about Trump canceling DACA. The film brought up valuable points in favor of continuing DACA.

The film however lied about Trump calling all Mexican immigrants rapists. The guy who made the film, a professor at Michigan State University, lied during the panel discussion repeating the claim. One of the DACA recipients in the film repeated the lie. Audience members during the Q and A were also repeating the lie.

The New York Times, the Washington Post, Time Magazine, the Associated Press, CBS News, and many other media sources have all published false information on what Trump said.

Trump has lots of offensive comments, why not just stick to the real ones instead of lying so much? Is the lie intended to get out more Hispanic voters in 2018 and 2020?

Bernie Sanders said "we have to pass a constitutional amendment that everyone in America who is 18 years old or older is registered to vote." Would liberals be fine with conservatives and FoxNews thus claiming that Bernie supports even tourists voting? It is the same pathetic logic that they make with Trump said all Mexicans are rapists.

https://www.salon.com/2015/12/21/the...value_honesty/
In his own words:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ng_border.html

Quote:
When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Nevada side of Lake Tahoe
4,902 posts, read 2,958,608 times
Reputation: 3171
The left defends illegal immigrants because they want to protect their voting base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 10:15 PM
 
5,108 posts, read 1,543,281 times
Reputation: 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I notice that you name the Times, Post, AP, but you don't list their actual quotes. I've seen the quotes, and I've seen the videos, and it doesn't appear to me that the media is lying. You can't start blaming individual citizens, though, for not quoting accurately, as the students may have done.

I checked and found two statements from around the same time:
“What can be simpler or more accurately stated? The Mexican Government is forcing their most unwanted people into the United States. They are, in many cases, criminals, drug dealers, rapists, etc.”
"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

I've never seen an actual reporter claim Trump said "all." Despite their AP example as wrong, it is correct to say that “Trump called Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals.”

In any case, it really wouldn't be a lie. The idea is that he repeatedly has implied that the bulk of the group are criminal. That's the objection. I hope you understand that there is a difference between what a Washington Post reporter writes at his desk, where he can check everything, versus what someone says in public in an unscripted comment.
You're wrong. It IS incorrect to say that, because first of all he was not referring to immigrants. He was referring to illegal aliens.

So that's the first lie the MSM tells; they lie about who he was even talking about.
Secondly, he was obviously referring only to a percentage. That some are good people is his assumption. He doesn't state how many. He is focused in this comment on the portion that are NOT, demonstrably, good people, because they are criminals.

Technically ALL illegals are criminals...but he's not even talking about that - he's giving the entire criminality underlying every single "undocumented immigrant" (which the MSM is now lying even more about and has just started calling "immigrants"), a total pass. He was only talking about crimes against persons and non-immigration related federal crimes in that comment, which are of course, the two most serious categories of crimes, and the categories on which the deportations have been the most focused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 10:20 PM
 
5,108 posts, read 1,543,281 times
Reputation: 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Nobody said all Republicans are rapists, but a lot of them are. Some, I assume, are good people.
Unfounded...because "a lot" implies a significant number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top