Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:20 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times

Advertisements

They lie a lot . They hope that if they repeat the lies people will believe them . It often does work.
Many are waking up and walking away from the left because they realize they’ve been liked to for years .

The liberal narrative is that people come here illegally are good people in search of a better life here in America , but that isn’t the reality for many . What Trump said is true there are negative repercussions of having a weak border and weak immigration laws . It is a fact that American people have been killed by people that never should of been in the country . The left always wants to drown out that reality .

It is a fact a large amount of drugs come across the border and those drugs end up killing Americans .

It is a fact people are brought in and trafficked .

It is a fact that illegal aliens commit massive ID fraud .

The list goes on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 07:43 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
MSM is not perfect but in general, it just reports what's going on. If you don't like what's going on, its not the medias fault. If some one kills someone else, and the media reports it, who is responsible for the death, the killer or the media? Quit blaming the media for everything you don't like. Don't kill the messenger.
oh really?

Quote:
MSM is not perfect but in general, it just reports what's going on.
Unless the news does not fit their narrative. They seem to pick and chose what to "report". If there is news that could paint Trump in a bad light, they will trip over themselves to report it, If its ANYTHING the least bit positive, then you will never hear about it.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:45 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,775 times
It was recorded.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:52 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
What the President said, specifically, was that “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best [...] They’re sending people that have lots of problems [...] They’re rapists.” I don’t interpret that as saying all Mexicans are rapists, but the clear implication is that he is saying all (or most) of Mexican immigrants and/or illegal aliens in the US ARE rapists. Did the sources you are railing against give a different interpretation?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ng_border.html
Very interesting snipping going on there. For the purposes of this discussion it might be beneficial to see the entire quote.

"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Old 09-21-2018, 08:10 AM

1,874 posts, read 817,950 times
because they are pathological liars

Old 09-21-2018, 08:25 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
It’s not a lie when he literally says, Mexico sends ... rapists. Unless we are supposed to know the act of sending is illegal immigration. So did Ireland send their illegal immigrants to Boston. The problem here is people are saying recorded fact. Playing it in totality and liberals are suddenly supposed to believe he meant illegals, were nowhere in a whole paragraph of information did Trump mention illegals once. It’s the same as saying Obama says their 57 states he literally said that out loud and Trump literally said that Mexico is sending Rapists allowed. Of course the Mexican government doesn’t send anyone out of their country in the first place, but to pretend that Trump didn’t literally say Mexico is sending rapists and saying liberals are trying to lie on him when it is recorded him saying Mexico sends rapists is you purposely ignoring his own words. Now you can argue whether it’s a mistake or not just like y’all argued about Obama, but that doesn’t change what they literally said. It’s like Obama saying that all white people are racists, and then the liberal excuse being he meant slave owners or Neo-nazis...

Old 09-21-2018, 09:23 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Very interesting snipping going on there. For the purposes of this discussion it might be beneficial to see the entire quote.

"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."
The construction [...] is commonly understood to mean ‘something was cut here.’ Since I was quoting on a phone, my ability to insert the whole quote was limited. I think I accurately represented the President’s most contentious point, and linked a page with both the transcript and a video showing he DID say something that could be fairly interpreted as ‘Mexican immigrants are rapists.’

Or should I not believe my lying ears?

Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
The construction [...] is commonly understood to mean ‘something was cut here.’ Since I was quoting on a phone, my ability to insert the whole quote was limited. I think I accurately represented the President’s most contentious point, and linked a page with both the transcript and a video showing he DID say something that could be fairly interpreted as ‘Mexican immigrants are rapists.’

Or should I not believe my lying ears?

So now, using your incomplete quote, we are at a point where he didn't actually say what he is accused of saying, he said something that "could be fairly interpreted as" something that sounds more negative than what he actually said. "Fairly" being a rather subjective term in this case.

I think I'm going to have a beer.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:09 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
Quote:

In the Democrats' defense, there are many decent immigrants. Other than being here illegally, there are immigrants that are otherwise decent people.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:18 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:

It's about context, Pogue. Hell, your bolded quote even starts out with

Quote:
They (Mexico) are not sending their best.
So, context would state that the following statements are about the types of people Mexico is sending:

- Mexican people with lots of problems with them
- Mexican people bringing drugs
- Mexican people bringing crime
- Mexican people that commit rape
- Oh, and last but not least, some that are good people.

Imagine if someone here said:

- City-Data posters are real idiots.
- CD posters don't back up anything with facts
- CD posters are ill-informed
- CD posters are probably all fat people stuffing their mouths with cookies while commenting on life
- Well, maybe some aren't so bad

I think the valid conclusion would be that CD posters are mostly less-than-savory people, but maybe just a few aren't so bad.

That's pretty much what Trump said. I have no idea how you can dissect his statement and NOT conclude that he is saying that Mexicans are simply bringing bad things (drugs and crime) and bad behavior (rape) into the country.

There really isn't any reading between the lines here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies