U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2018, 09:46 AM
 
Location: San Diego
4,015 posts, read 966,522 times
Reputation: 2813

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Capital punishment has never been a deterrent.
Has anyone who got capital punishment, ever committed another crime?

Recidivism rate is zero. And for the most horrible crimes, that is a very positive result. And far better than the record for any other punishment.

Where on earth did you get the notion that someone who considered shooting the guy who got the job he was trying to get (happens hundreds of times daily in this country), was NOT deterred by the prospect of the death penalty for premeditated murder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Sandy Springs)
3,545 posts, read 2,306,391 times
Reputation: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Has anyone who got capital punishment, ever committed another crime?
That's a red herring and a statement that does not support your argument that more capital punishment as opposed to other sentences is needed, considering that recidivism for life without parole is also zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 09:59 AM
 
6,243 posts, read 1,515,119 times
Reputation: 4521
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I'll have to disagree with this. The Ds have put legalization of marijuana as part of their official platform, and it has gained traction much more rapidly in blue states.

Now I will grant you neither party supports it to the extent libertarians do.
It was under Obamas presidency, when Govt cracked down on opiate prescription drugs!!!! So I dont think the dems are the 'legalization party' some assume they are. these were the toughest drug laws to be created in many years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Status: "Praise Be" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Trumpville
7,258 posts, read 3,284,579 times
Reputation: 6305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It was under Obamas presidency, when Govt cracked down on opiate prescription drugs!!!! So I dont think the dems are the 'legalization party' some assume they are. these were the toughest drug laws to be created in many years!
Opiates are not marijuana. There is a legitimate argument for tough laws against them given their addictive nature and the physical toll they take on the body and potential to overdose.

On marijuana, there's absolutely no way Colorado could have successfully legalized it under a Republican President. Any GOP President would have cracked down almost immediately if it would have been tried. However, Obama took a hands off approach and let it happen. I wish he would have went a step further and decriminalized nationally but the public opinion wasn't quite there yet. One thing about Obama is he typically went with the majority public opinion on most controversial issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 10:21 AM
 
6,243 posts, read 1,515,119 times
Reputation: 4521
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Opiates are not marijuana. There is a legitimate argument for tough laws against them given their addictive nature and the physical toll they take on the body and potential to overdose.

On marijuana, there's absolutely no way Colorado could have successfully legalized it under a Republican President. Any GOP President would have cracked down almost immediately if it would have been tried. However, Obama took a hands off approach and let it happen. I wish he would have went a step further and decriminalized nationally but the public opinion wasn't quite there yet. One thing about Obama is he typically went with the majority public opinion on most controversial issues.
The thing is though, the opiate related overdoses, deaths, ER visits, etc were not even close to statistics involving alcohol, or tobacco. It was a very small percentage of the overall number that were taking opiates.

From what I saw during this time firsthand, IMO, this was DEA colluding with drug cartels, getting rid of the competition in other words. There was SO much heroin around at the exact same time these laws took effect, it was almost to the point of being overkill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Clown School
9,999 posts, read 4,225,663 times
Reputation: 11552
Solution:

Fewer trivial laws that land people in jail for victimless crimes. People should not be considered a danger to society just because they bought pot, engaged in voluntary sex work, or missed jury duty.

But serious crimes like murder, attempted murder, torture, or child rape should result in a swift death sentence. Do it however Singapore or Japan does it, since they're the remaining developed countries that still employ capital punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 10:54 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,116 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Reputation: 40582
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Why #Walkaway from the party that supports cannabis legalization, which will go a long way towards fixing this problem? The GOP "solution" is to continue to lock up more black Americans for simple cannabis possession while their donors in the private prison industry get rich.
Yet the numbers, from Vox of all places contradict you:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ration-boehner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 02:00 PM
 
Location: USA
18,553 posts, read 13,692,189 times
Reputation: 12136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Solution:

Fewer trivial laws that land people in jail for victimless crimes. People should not be considered a danger to society just because they bought pot, engaged in voluntary sex work, or missed jury duty.

But serious crimes like murder, attempted murder, torture, or child rape should result in a swift death sentence. Do it however Singapore or Japan does it, since they're the remaining developed countries that still employ capital punishment.
While on the surface im for capital punishment in severe cases, I believe it is very costly compared to life imprisonment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 02:01 PM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
11,230 posts, read 7,245,413 times
Reputation: 8043
Release all non-violent drug using offenders.

#Walkaway is a fake movement made up by the extreme right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Clown School
9,999 posts, read 4,225,663 times
Reputation: 11552
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
While on the surface im for capital punishment in severe cases, I believe it is very costly compared to life imprisonment.
That's because of endless appeals and the expense of the injection. I think other countries do hanging and limit the number of appeals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top