U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 01:36 PM

1,022 posts, read 383,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
When you move to another country (not visit) it's important that you adopt their language out of respect to the natives and speak it in public. I don't know of anyone who enjoys listening to a bunch of loud babble in public which makes you feel like you are living in a foreign country. It's a non-assimilating, arrogant attitude IMO if they also know how to speak English. I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home.

I was in a department store a few days ago and two women and a child were all speaking Spanish to each other. It went on for awhile and I was curious if they just didn't know how to speak English so I asked them in Spanish. They said yes they both did and they answered me very fluently and in full sentences. I just walked away puzzled.

Is this weird? It seems weird. Why would I care what someone is speaking? And how do YOU know that they weren't visitors?

I recently visited Iceland. Most people speak English fluently, but I LOVED the sound of the Icelandic language. It's beautiful! We asked how to pronounce things all the time. I wouldn't mind if people spoke it around me all day long. And, truthfully, where I am sitting right now, there are two different couples speaking non-English in my vicinity. It's not harming me in any way, shape, or form. I happen to know they all speak fluent English, because I am in a service position, and have spoken to or witnessed interactions in English. They owe me nothing--why would I expect them to speak English together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 01:37 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,302,170 times
It should be noted for this thread that Congress considered making English the official language of the US as recently as 2011. Ultimately they declined to do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englis...uage_Unity_Act

The same bill was considered in 2007. So under both recent D and R presidents there has been no consensus that English should be our official language.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:38 PM

11,635 posts, read 3,253,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
And I'm puzzled why you would feel the need to listen to strangers' conversation in a department store.

Now two of us are puzzled. That's not good. I'd rather one of us weren't puzzled, at least.
There is no way to not listen to their usually yelling even indoors in unpleasantly spoken Spanish in public. You'd have to be deaf to not notice it.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:39 PM

31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I just think it expands the mind alot more. Plus it's a good look on your overall character.
There are many other things that expand your mind and that are far more useful than learning a foreign language in your own country. So your character doesn't look as good unless you're bi-lingual? WTH?

Old 09-21-2018, 01:41 PM

4,807 posts, read 2,211,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yes, Hispanics are acting as unassimilating colonizers and invaders and liberals are treating them all as US citizens or better. It's suppose to be against the law to aid and abet someone breaking the law.

Everywhere I turn I see or hear a creepy looking Hispanic person, where just recently none were before.
Wow !
Where are you located?
How do you know they are hispanic? or even creepy for that matter?

Old 09-21-2018, 01:41 PM

19,650 posts, read 8,221,517 times
Talk to corporations.

They are driving the push to accommodate Spanish speakers, so they may sell them things. It's not about 'accommodating' Spanish speakers. It's about money, like everything else in this country.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...eaking-country

Old 09-21-2018, 01:42 PM

988 posts, read 436,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
There is no way to not listen to their usually yelling even indoors in unpleasantly spoken Spanish in public. You'd have to be deaf to not notice it.
And yet, I'm not deaf, and I don't notice it.

I'm sure you've exhausted all other alternatives, but consider the possibilities one more time.

Maybe I'm not a busybody, don't eavesdrop on other people, and don't get nervous when a foreign language is spoken.

No. That couldn't be true, because it's on my mental list of invalid possibilities. I'll wait for your analysis.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It went on for awhile and I was curious if they just didn't know how to speak English so I asked them in Spanish. They said yes they both did and they answered me very fluently and in full sentences. I just walked away puzzled.
It's like they're intentional being annoying and inconsiderate. Not knowing English is no excuse to live in America and speak a foreign language in public either.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:45 PM

31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
See there's nothing wrong with that. Especially if your in a big city. People have the right to converse with one another in any language they want.

Hell, you can speak Klingon in a public setting and you have every right to.

That's the beauty of being bilingual.

I never said they didn't have the right. What I am saying is if you know English why not speak it in public since it's our national de facto language and most Americans speak it? it's a non-assimilation issue to me and borders on rudeness and arrogance, IMO.

How is that beauty just to be able to speak more than one language? The word beauty isn't a word that comes to mind here.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
And yet, I'm not deaf, and I don't notice it.

I'm sure you've exhausted all other alternatives, but consider the possibilities one more time.

Maybe I'm not a busybody, don't eavesdrop on other people, and don't get nervous when a foreign language is spoken.

No. That couldn't be true, because it's on my mental list of invalid possibilities. I'll wait for your analysis.
Well maybe if your town was all English speaking forever and suddenly became a foreign country almost overnight, you'd notice it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or