U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 04:40 PM

7,530 posts, read 4,022,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
What's a "southern draw"?
I found an expert:

Larry the Cable Guy: My fake southern accent

Teach Me Redneck: Larry The Cable Guy Teaches Larry The King How To Talk Like A Redneck

Close enough and he's funny to boot ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 04:41 PM

1,800 posts, read 731,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I remember them as "Mexicans" in 1980s Texas and not all that numerous.

Today up north, most all the Hispanics I see recently popping up are very mestizos and very brown and I can't imagine anyone here thinks they fall under white.
Well, They certainly thought they were white:

Quote:
Mexican Americans did not object to the segregation of Blacks or challenge the assumptions of White supremacy. On the contrary, they supported strict segregation of Whites and Blacks in the schools and in public facilities. The basis for their claim for social equality was that they were also white...

A group of Mexican Americans, mostly urban and middle class, founded their own organization in 1929 in Corpus Cristi, the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)...LULAC sought to set the racial record strait. In a 1932 article in the LULAC News titled "Are Texas-Mexicans 'Americans'?" the author asserted that Mexican Americans were "the first white race to inhabit this vast empire of ours." Another member of LULAC boasted that Mexican Americans were "not only a part and parcel but as well the sum and substance of the white race."

As self-constituted Whites, LULAC members considered it "an insult" to be associated with Blacks or other "colored" races. In 1936 a LULAC official deplored the practice of hiring "Negro musicians" to play at Mexican bailes because it led to "illicit relations" between Black men and "ill-informed Mexican girls." He urged fellow LULAC memebers to "tell these Negroes that we are not going to permit our manhood and womanhood to mingle with them on an equal social basis"

When Mexicans Were White: "The Sum and the Substance of the White Race"
And to think we have people today asking "why are hispanics identifying as white?", as if that were something new. That is how they traditionally identified before they became "hispanics".

Old 09-21-2018, 04:44 PM

8,283 posts, read 5,835,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Who said I didn't have sources to back up what I posted? And who said I wanted to deny children of limited English proficiency?

We can disagree, but no need to make things up.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=96

I am referring to your inference that "they aren't interested in learning English". Your stats doesn't say anything about that, nor can it be measured from that.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Meaning the US, right? We didn't directly ask for people to immigrate to the US, true enough. But when we export lots of grain, meat, manufactured goods, we displace a number of workers who can't compete with industrialized farming, nor our scale of manufacturing. We also import lots of raw materials, oil, rare earths, & so on.

When our economic activity disrupts or replaces existing economic flows, workers are displaced. They may travel to their cities to look for work, & if they're within reasonable reach of the US, they may decide to come to the source. We're (the US) not the sole source of work & capital in the World anymore (certainly not like in the immediate post-WWII period) - but old habits die hard.
Yep. As an immigrant from a displaced land might say, "We're over here because you're over there."

Old 09-21-2018, 04:47 PM

11,635 posts, read 3,253,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Well, They certainly thought they were white:

And to think we have people today asking "why are hispanics identifying as white?", as if that were something new. That is how they traditionally identified before they became "hispanics".
Yeah they identify as white for the purposes of segregation or crime offenders but Hispanic for affirmative action and crime victims. Must be nice to play it both ways to your advantage.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:50 PM

11,635 posts, read 3,253,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Then that's a personal issue you have and should probably seek help for letting something so minuscule bothering you..
It's a huge political and national issue. I don't have to like or accept mass immigration especially illegal and have the right to demand it comes to a stop.

3,480 posts, read 1,420,746 times
Default The Communists studied the "problem" extensively

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Spanish is the language of an immigrant underclass in America.

English is the language of mainstream American society.
A Marxist analysis of language in the US?

I don't think that generalization is particularly true - if you want to tag immigrants as an underclass, you'd do better to tag the non-Spanish speaking from Central America, Mexico, & some parts of South America (non-Portuguese speakers in Brazil). As a bonus, some of the non-Spanish speakers may be illiterate in their own language.

The irony of applying Marx that way is that the late unlamented USSR took language & cultural studies very seriously. Even though they were aiming for a new Soviet man & woman & culture universally, the USSR organs were very careful to study the local languages & cultures thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I was speaking about our state government, and I'm sure those vary.
So tell us about how much your state government spends on such materials, and the cost benefit analysis that goes along with it.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:54 PM

1,022 posts, read 383,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah they identify as white for the purposes of segregation or crime offenders but Hispanic for affirmative action and crime victims. Must be nice to play it both ways to your advantage.

Your bitterness says so much.

"Hispanic" is a term that doesn't mean "non-white." It only refers to those who come from a place/culture that is tied to the Spanish language or culture. You are imbuing the word with much, much more, I think.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:55 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
Doesn't matter, Hispanics have their own communities..........many times those communities encompass whole cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or