U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 06:54 PM

16,154 posts, read 7,089,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
lol, so you think those two women were conversing in Spanish just so I wouldn't listen in? They were already speaking Spanish when I entered the same area. I couldn't care less the gist of their conversation anyway but listening to foreign babble for 20 minutes was irritating when I was trying to focus on what I was buying.

I still don't see the beauty of switching languages on the fly. For what purpose?

No, why would native Spanish speakers automatically speak to one another in Spanish when they were out in public and were fluent in English? Does comfort include rudeness?
Apparently, you have a different definition of rudeness than most people do.

I simply can't imagine walking up to a pair of strangers and insinuating that you have the right to eavesdrop, so would they please speak a language you understand.

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-21-2018 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 06:55 PM

11,656 posts, read 3,242,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
In the US, that's a sentence dripping with irony. The Spanish & Portuguese were (& are) Caucasian, to my knowledge. The Spanish certainly intermarried with the Native Peoples, once they arrived in the Americas - they didn't typically bring their wife & family with them from the old country. The Portuguese (& French, for that matter) did much the same.

There's a lot of history being ignored there.
No irony or history being ignored at all. Earlier I posted how the mestizos ancestors and allies colonized latin America and are now colonizing or invading America but wouldn't stand for that today in latin America.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:10 PM

3,480 posts, read 1,419,774 times
Default It's a kind of numbers game

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No irony or history being ignored at all. Earlier I posted how the mestizos ancestors and allies colonized latin America and are now colonizing or invading America but wouldn't stand for that today in latin America.
No, a couple of the Latin American countries either had relatively few Native People to begin with, or high immigration rates from Europe (Spain, Italy, etc.), or some combination (political & military upheaval, overwork & disease & Native People fleeing the country are also factors), resulting in a high proportion of Caucasians in the population in the here & now.

Just look @ the demographics & trends in Latin America since the European incursion.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:29 PM

Location: I'm out searching for me... If you see me, let me know... ;--)
3,277 posts, read 1,703,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The reason why consumer goods packaging features more than one language is because consumer goods are sold in more than one country.

You’d think this would be obvious, but I guess not. Some people apparently still believe that Walmart, Target, and Home Depot only occur in English-speaking countries. Or that Amazon only sells products in English-speaking countries.

It’s a big world out there, fOlks.
Jacqueg is right! The USA is 4.4 % of the world pop.

The United States population was 319 million as of July 4, 2014, according to the U.S. Census. That accounts for about 4.4 percent of the approximately 7.1 billion world population...

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...obile&ie=UTF-8

Old 09-21-2018, 08:37 PM

11,656 posts, read 3,242,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Jacqueg is right! The USA is 4.4 % of the world pop.

The United States population was 319 million as of July 4, 2014, according to the U.S. Census. That accounts for about 4.4 percent of the approximately 7.1 billion world population...

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...obile&ie=UTF-8
That's just why I want to conserve the US population as the world minority that it is and not be diluted and overpopulated by global mass immigration..

Old 09-21-2018, 10:17 PM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 6 days ago)

17,357 posts, read 8,536,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I am referring to your inference that "they aren't interested in learning English". Your stats doesn't say anything about that, nor can it be measured from that.
This is what I posted:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This is based on census data, however, and illegals are very reluctant to fill out the census.

I don't think this is the most accurate information. But given that no English is spoken in a high number of households and 10 - 21% of children do not speak English when starting school in 8 states, it begs the question of how interested they are in learning English. They're not all new arrivals.

Jesus H. Christ, Kris, do you know how to tell the difference between rhetorical questions and opinions versus things stated as fact, requiring source data to prove what's being posted?

It appears not.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:26 PM

8,283 posts, read 5,831,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This is what I posted:

Jesus H. Christ, Kris, do you know how to tell the difference between rhetorical questions and opinions versus things stated as fact, requiring source data to prove what's being posted?

It appears not.
OK - then your opinion isn't supported by fact and is just a conjecture. Happy now?

Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 PM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 6 days ago)

17,357 posts, read 8,536,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
OK - then your opinion isn't supported by fact and is just a conjecture. Happy now?
LMAO, please look up the definition of "begging the question".

Next time you post something like, 'You have to wonder if our politicians are working as hard as they say they are' I'll ask you for proof of your wonderment.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:51 PM

11,484 posts, read 5,504,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Nothing irritates me more than seeing American products labeled in Spanish. Call a bean, a bean, the picture is on the can All this Spanish accommodation is typical liberal thinking. It is harm in the guise of helping. How is hindering Spanish speaking people from learning English helpful? It isnít. It is keeping them from learning the language sooner.

The only time I feel accommodation should be necessary is for school children who have not been exposed to English. They canít be expected to learn, if they canít understand, so they should get extra help, along with learning English.
^^^^Well said!

Spanish was my Dad's first language. He started school not knowing a word of English back in the 20s. Living in NYC at the time, he had plenty of company in his class as there were other kids (who spoke different languages) that were in the same boat as he was. There was no bilingual education then. As my Dad put it, we all knew that if we were to survive, we all had to learn English --- and learn they did!

No one ever provided items printed in Spanish to my grandparents. Everything was in English, yet somehow they survived.

He was against hearing, when calling a business, "para Espanol, oprime dos" because, as he put it, this has no place in our country. He never used that option.

By providing signage in Spanish and the "oprime dos" option, it actually encourages not learning English. Plus, many seem to forget that illegals from Mexico and the banana republics are, for the most part, functionally illiterate---meaning that they can't even read anything written in Spanish. Even worse, some don't even speak Spanish but instead they speak obscure indigenous languages.

The best way to learn a new language is total immersion and by providing everything in Spanish, it discourages learning. I speak from experience. When I was in HS, my family lived in Puerto Rico for a time. The school we went to, we were taught in English. I wanted to learn Spanish but in day-to-day life there wasn't full immersion. Often, I wished that I lived up in the mountains where few spoke English.

Ponder this --- why aren't we catering this extensively to immigrants who speak other languages? Why are they expected to learn English while Spanish speakers get special treatment? Sometimes, there is pressure on them to learn Spanish on top of English. For example, there is a convenience store near where I live that is run by East Indians. A large number of their customers are Hispanic illegal aliens. I've seen the staff at the store feeling that they now have to learn Spanish.

Anyone who wants to live in the US needs to learn English. It's the language that binds us all.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:15 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
Yes. With multiple languages. But it doesn't matter if we make English the Official Language or The USA and I know this because English is the Official Language of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or