U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:14 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,185,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Hispanics will eventually be the majority in America the way things are going. Already they are the majority or near majority in CA, NM, TX.

yes they are the majority in Ca. Whites are 3rd...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 12:16 PM

601 posts, read 88,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Personally, I don't understand the resistance in learning English. My grandparents were so proud to be here, so proud to be Americans they couldn't wait to learn to speak, read, and write the language of their new home. The only time they spoke Italian at home was when they didn't want us (their grandchildren) to understand what they were talking about, which was rare.
Not everyone learns new languages easily. Do you know any children born in the USA who don't speak English or are your observations based on FOB immigrants?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:21 PM

1,024 posts, read 386,942 times
Do your panties get in a bunch if you open up your electronics user manual and find Japanese? Or do you assume that manufacturers, rather than going to the trouble and expense of multiple prints just put them all in the same booklet so they can go to any of the places where their goods are sold? I mean, it's not hard to not read other languages. You can do it!

The only items I've EVER seen in only one foreign language at the big boxes here are the ones in the aisle labeled "World Marketplace" or something.

At any rate, OP, learn what countries are in North America, 'kay?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:25 PM

18,357 posts, read 11,640,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I do not mean this to be racist. Hispanics are a great culture of hardworking people. I do not have an issue with their immigration to the US. They have brought new diversity and skills to the US.

My pet peeve is speaking English. English is the language of North America.

It has gotten to the point that virtually every set of instructions that come with anything you buy are in English and Spanish. Every time you call a telephone number you have a choice to press something for English or Spanish. I swear, I items for sale in Walmart and the box does not have one word of English on it, its all in Spanish.

I understand accommodation. However, I do believe immigrants to the US should learn English but the level of accommodation has gotten to the point that Hispanics do not have to learn English. Virtually everything is in Spanish. Sometimes to the point English speaking people are having to learn Spanish.

The whole Hispanic speaking accommodation is now a steam roller because businesses want to sell products so they target their audience.

It appears we are going to become a bi-lingual country.
Where in Walmart are there boxes with printing only in Spanish? And do you have a disability that prevents you from pressing a button on your phone?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:26 PM

4,916 posts, read 3,494,608 times
Quote:
I do not mean this to be racist. Hispanics are a great culture of hardworking people. I do not have an issue with their immigration to the US. They have brought new diversity and skills to the US.

The orderly process of documented, vetted legal immigration and those walking across the border of their own accord (completely disregarding the sovereignty of this nation) are two different things. Don't conflate the two. It makes you look uninformed.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 738,052 times
Quote:
No. Never going to happen. There is no inter-generational transfer of the Spanish Language in the United States. You can look at all current statistics. Spanish speaking immigrants don't replace themselves with Spanish-speaking children and grandchildren.

They aren't different from any immigrant group to come before them. Soon the majority of the "hispanic" demographic (which is actually political fabrication) won't speak any Spanish.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:31 PM

3,165 posts, read 1,970,337 times
Quote:

My pet peeve is speaking English. English is the language of North America.

It has gotten to the point that virtually every set of instructions that come with anything you buy are in English and Spanish. Every time you call a telephone number you have a choice to press something for English or Spanish. I swear, I items for sale in Walmart and the box does not have one word of English on it, its all in Spanish.

I understand accommodation. However, I do believe immigrants to the US should learn English but the level of accommodation has gotten to the point that Hispanics do not have to learn English. Virtually everything is in Spanish. Sometimes to the point English speaking people are having to learn Spanish.

The whole Hispanic speaking accommodation is now a steam roller because businesses want to sell products so they target their audience.

Except it's not. Not for the US and certainly not for North America.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM

34,679 posts, read 42,823,353 times
Nothing irritates me more than seeing American products labeled in Spanish. Call a bean, a bean, the picture is on the can All this Spanish accommodation is typical liberal thinking. It is harm in the guise of helping. How is hindering Spanish speaking people from learning English helpful? It isnít. It is keeping them from learning the language sooner.

The only time I feel accommodation should be necessary is for school children who have not been exposed to English. They canít be expected to learn, if they canít understand, so they should get extra help, along with learning English.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:36 PM

3,165 posts, read 1,970,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Nothing irritates me more than seeing American products labeled in Spanish. Call a bean, a bean, the picture is on the can All this Spanish accommodation is typical liberal thinking. It is harm in the guise of helping. How is hindering Spanish speaking people from learning English helpful? It isnít. It is keeping them from learning the language sooner.

The only time I feel accommodation should be necessary is for school children who have not been exposed to English. They canít be expected to learn, if they canít understand, so they should get extra help, along with learning English.
Somehow I feel this was intentional.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 PM

27,662 posts, read 17,711,469 times
All my instructions come with about 7 different languages, and I don't really care about.

I DO think we should have English be the official language. It would save governments all kinds of money on printing and interpretation, it would enhance immigrant integration in general society, and it would increase their opportunities with employment.

Communication is a vital element in just about everything.

I don't care what private companies do in order to appeal to the population. Heck, a HUGE percentage of food here is in Japanese, I'll live.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or