U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 11:51 AM

11,635 posts, read 3,253,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
1. That has nothing to do with my statement, which was that Hispanics come from a myriad of cultures.
2. The OP said North America and what you are trying to say is the United States of America.
3. And?
4. And again, it is a good thing to be bilingual. Itís only wrong to those who dislike putting effort into learning.
1. They are mostly coming from Mexico and Central America not a myriad of cultures, but a myriad of foreign cultures is still foreign and hardly any better.
2. Everyone here is talking about the USA.
3. And your wrong
4. The only people who need to be bilingual and are not putting in the effort are the ones who speak a language other than English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 12:25 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes. With multiple languages. But it doesn't matter if we make English the Official Language or The USA and I know this because English is the Official Language of California.

It makes a difference as we would no longer have to print government documents on the federal level in several different languages as it's costly to do so. No more taxpayer paid for translators either. These two things would force immigrants to learn English. Most importantly English should take it's rightful place officially as part of our identifying heritage and culture.

States the don't stop this pandering in foreign languages should follow suit for the same reasons.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:06 PM

446 posts, read 83,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It makes a difference as we would no longer have to print government documents on the federal level in several different languages as it's costly to do so. No more taxpayer paid for translators either. These two things would force immigrants to learn English. Most importantly English should take it's rightful place officially as part of our identifying heritage and culture.

States the don't stop this pandering in foreign languages should follow suit for the same reasons.
The expense of printing government documents in other languages is just one cost. What about well educated, talented, and qualified Americans who are rejected for federal government positions because they don't speak Spanish?

I was a manager at a non-profit, and my job was to develop consumer materials (brochures, web content, newsletters, etc.) explaining the benefits of a specific federally subsidized program, when a great opportunity arose: A six-figure job with the government! They were looking for someone to develop consumer materials (brochures, web content, newsletters, etc.) for that same federally subsidized program.

The posting was perfect: They wanted someone with experience developing consumer materials and, ideally, at least some familiarity with the program. I was more than that: I had expert-level knowledge, and had actually received national recognition for it, with more than 15 years' experience developing the same consumer materials they needed done.

The catch: They wanted someone who could also explain these taxpayer-funded benefits to people who only knew Spanish.

My opinion: If you immigrate to this country, and then take advantage of programs paid for by Americans, the least you can do is learn to speak English.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The expense of printing government documents in other languages is just one cost. What about well educated, talented, and qualified Americans who are rejected for federal government positions because they don't speak Spanish?

I was a manager at a non-profit, and my job was to develop consumer materials (brochures, web content, newsletters, etc.) explaining the benefits of a specific federally subsidized program, when a great opportunity arose: A six-figure job with the government! They were looking for someone to develop consumer materials (brochures, web content, newsletters, etc.) for that same federally subsidized program.

The posting was perfect: They wanted someone with experience developing consumer materials and, ideally, at least some familiarity with the program. I was more than that: I had expert-level knowledge, and had actually received national recognition for it, with more than 15 years' experience developing the same consumer materials they needed done.

The catch: They wanted someone who could also explain these taxpayer-funded benefits to people who only knew Spanish.

My opinion: If you immigrate to this country, and then take advantage of programs paid for by Americans, the least you can do is learn to speak English.
It should be against the law to discriminate in employment against a real American because they can't speak a language other than English .

I don't like how my metropolitan parks used bond and tax money to put up signs in English and Spanish, and also to build Pinata stands that the Hispanics never use even though they use the parks.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:26 PM

26,486 posts, read 24,220,986 times
Quote:
Why? Most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual so why would you need to learn Spanish to communicate with them?
I enjoy languages in general, and it's great fun to use a new language. I'm also considering living in Tijuana and working in San Diego, so knowing Spanish would be incredibly useful.

Quote:
There are far more Spanish speaking parents who are passing that language onto their kids than the other way around.
What is that opinion based on? Certainly not fact.

"Use of Spanish declines among Latinos in major U.S. metros"

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...or-u-s-metros/

Hopefully you're not one of those people who dismisses data unless it comports with what your gut tells you.

Quote:
They form enclaves where they don't have to learn English. I have also noted that even when they do know English they only speak it when they have to. They are very arrogant about speaking Spanish everywhere they go.
Oh, okay, now that I've read a few more of your comments, I see that you are, indeed, one of those people.

Have you ever heard of freedom? As American citizens, we all have a right to live among whomever we choose. And no one is going to start speaking English just because you're angry about it.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 09-22-2018 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 03:38 PM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 6 days ago)

17,357 posts, read 8,542,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It should be against the law to discriminate in employment against a real American because they can't speak a language other than English .

I don't like how my metropolitan parks used bond and tax money to put up signs in English and Spanish, and also to build Pinata stands that the Hispanics never use even though they use the parks.
Immigrants who have become citizens are real Americans.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Immigrants who have become citizens are real Americans.
They're citizens but that alone just makes them American on paper. But yeah it should be illegal to discriminate against any American citizen because they don't communicate in a language other than English.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:45 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
We have greatly underestimated the presence and influence Mexico has had on America
The backbone of American service industry, industrial , law enforcement and to some extent military is Mexican
I feel for many Americans this fact has not sunk in

Old 09-22-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Have you ever heard of freedom? As American citizens, we all have a right to live among whomever we choose. And no one is going to start speaking English just because you're angry about it.
That's just it. I was living among people of my choice, English speaking Americans, then all these foreign people speaking a foreign language just show up that I didn't choose to live with. It's imposition.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:00 PM

4,563 posts, read 1,138,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't think they can at the same rate as Asian Americans even if they wanted to and tried and are being boosted by affirmative action. And if they intellectual can but don't then that still impugns their character traits, decision making and judgement.
I agree, it’s just not going to happen. But I guess it doesn’t hurt to be optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
This is about Hispanics, not people of color in general.

There are more than enough successful people of African origin and Hispanic background to model after. There is no need to look at Asians and not all Asian groups are successful.

The U.S. has also done far too much to cater to whites over its history. Yet rather than take the actions above, many of them depend on the government while criticizing non-whites who do.

At the end of the day, there are simpy a good number of lazy individuals in the U.S. that need to get their acts together.
Hispanics and people of color in general are in the exact same boat: is America doing too much to accommodate them?

There is not nearly enough successful people of African and Hispanic descent in which both communities can follow and the statistics reflect it. Cultural changes involve millions of people over several generations not just a few bright stars. For every Obama, there’s a dozen knuckle heads in Chicago shooting up their community.

The catering of white people happens because they’re the majority. Let’s give them some slack, they’re the ones who created America. Hell I’d be born in Africa if it wasn’t for America’s tragic past.

At the end of the day, the percentage of lazy people who need to get their act together is disproportionate among people of color and there is no excuse for it. America has done MORE than enough to accommodate Hispanics and every other person of color in this country as evidence by the statistics that reflect Asian Americans being the top median household income demographic ahead of whites.

Everyday Hispanics and people of color immigrate to this country legally and illegally because they know the government will accommodate and cater to them. (see birthright citizenship)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or