Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 12:24 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,237 times

Advertisements

Hilarious you'll mad because you'll not bilingual........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 12:25 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
And, how do you know it doesn't involve someone who is nearby? For all they know, they could be mocking a person right in front of them.

People who speak a foreign language in front of non-speakers of that language often develop a false sense of confidence---meaning they assume no one else around understands them so they say vile things about others.

For example, a few years back we were eating at a restaurant. At this place, you place your order with the cashier, take a number and place it on your table. While we were waiting for our food, the workers in the open kitchen were speaking Spanish loudly enough for us to hear. What they were doing was calling the cashier, who was black, a word that means w*ore in Spanish. They would look at her, say the word, then laugh. Meanwhile, the manager, who didn't speak Spanish, was in earshot.

You better believe that I got in touch with HQ about the incident. The manager called me and had a hard time believing that his workers behaved that way because he trained them so well When I told him that he should require them to speak English while on duty, he uttered some nonsense about the first amendment. Then he said he would "discipline" the workers. If I had to guess, I'm sure he still allowed them to continue speaking Spanish and no doubt, they were saying some choice things about him within earshot. Needless to say, we never returned to that particular restaurant.
I'm sure that does happen, but I fail to understand why it's relevant. Two people could be messaging vile things about each other on cell phones or whispering together in a corner and accomplish the same thing.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:27 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Okay, so do as they did and move. They don't have to go anywhere. They aren't the ones who are miserable.
There's no place you can move where illegals and foreigners can't move to the general area thanks to open borders. This isn't even about just me. A lot of Americans don't like it, and don't have the means to move or are elderly. Classist much?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:28 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
That's interesting. Where does that median IQ come from? Do you have a source for that?
https://www.politico.com/story/2013/...ichwine-095353

In the link below, scroll to page 60 and 61:

https://www.gwern.net/docs/iq/2009-richwine.pdf

Old 09-24-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm sure that does happen, but I fail to understand why it's relevant. Two people could be messaging vile things about each other on cell phones or whispering together in a corner and accomplish the same thing.
It is, indeed, relevant.

Someone texting is doing so quietly. Unless you are standing there looking over their shoulder, you won't know what they are texting.

Someone speaking loud enough to be heard takes the chance that the person they are disparaging won't understand a word. If the insulted person is a supervisor who knows that language, imagine the consequences. You know---like getting fired from their job? Or in my case, understanding what had been said and reporting it. How about the worst case scenario? The person being insulted has violent tendencies and attacks those who were disparaging him/her.

Do you think those kitchen workers should have gotten away with impunity for repeating denigrating the cashier? Can you imagine the hostile work environment that was creating?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:37 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Hilarious you'll mad because you'll not bilingual........
no idea who you're addressing, but would you mind trying that one more time, in English?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
It is, indeed, relevant.

Someone texting is doing so quietly. Unless you are standing there looking over their shoulder, you won't know what they are texting.

Someone speaking loud enough to be heard takes the chance that the person they are disparaging won't understand a word. If the insulted person is a supervisor who knows that language, imagine the consequences. You know---like getting fired from their job? Or in my case, understanding what had been said and reporting it. How about the worst case scenario? The person being insulted has violent tendencies and attacks those who were disparaging him/her.

Do you think those kitchen workers should have gotten away with impunity for repeating denigrating the cashier? Can you imagine the hostile work environment that was creating?
I don't know what's so hard for some people to understand. The foreign language speakers, are loud and auditory annoying and speaking incoherently, usually not very bright, ethnocentric and ornery, and the show stopper most were never authorized to live here to begin with. What's there to like about this? If we or liberals would stop accommodating them in every way under the sun, they'd leave and stop coming here.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's not a question of fairness. You're talking about a woman who lied because she decided she didn't want to serve the customer and she was fired for it.

To me, it's stupid to move to a country and then not learn the language. Not every cop or firefighter or EMT worker is going to speak Spanish. It puts people at a great disadvantage in those encounters alone.
Per the bolded ---that is spot on

By putting up signage in Spanish, it actually enables some---functionally illiterate illegal aliens---to not learn English. As a result, they become complacent and assume that, in an emergency, all the responders will know English.

The best way to learn a foreign language is full immersion. Those who support bilingual signage are not doing anyone any favors.

If I decided to move to a country where English wasn't the dominant language, I would certainly, before my move, start taking classes in the new language. It would be arrogant to not do so.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:41 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
And, how do you know it doesn't involve someone who is nearby? For all they know, they could be mocking a person right in front of them.

People who speak a foreign language in front of non-speakers of that language often develop a false sense of confidence---meaning they assume no one else around understands them so they say vile things about others.

For example, a few years back we were eating at a restaurant. At this place, you place your order with the cashier, take a number and place it on your table. While we were waiting for our food, the workers in the open kitchen were speaking Spanish loudly enough for us to hear. What they were doing was calling the cashier, who was black, a word that means w*ore in Spanish. They would look at her, say the word, then laugh. Meanwhile, the manager, who didn't speak Spanish, was in earshot.

You better believe that I got in touch with HQ about the incident. The manager called me and had a hard time believing that his workers behaved that way because he trained them so well When I told him that he should require them to speak English while on duty, he uttered some nonsense about the first amendment. Then he said he would "discipline" the workers. If I had to guess, I'm sure he still allowed them to continue speaking Spanish and no doubt, they were saying some choice things about him within earshot. Needless to say, we never returned to that particular restaurant.
LOL. If you only dine in restaurants where back of the house speaks English exclusively.......you aren't eating out in too many major American cities.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:42 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't know what's so hard for some people to understand. The foreign language speakers, are loud and auditory annoying and speaking incoherently, usually not very bright, ethnocentric and ornery, and the show stopper most were never authorized to live here to begin with. What's there to like about this? If we or liberals would stop accommodating them in every way under the sun, they'd leave and stop coming here.

I truly hope you aren't on the board of tourism wherever you live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies