U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 12:43 PM

459 posts, read 142,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm sure that does happen, but I fail to understand why it's relevant. Two people could be messaging vile things about each other on cell phones or whispering together in a corner and accomplish the same thing.

Nope, you can talk out loud and work at the same time. You can't play with your cell phone or whisper in a corner and work at the same time.

Rude people like the Spanish-speaking employees in that place need to either shut up or speak English and just do their jobs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 12:50 PM

11,607 posts, read 3,242,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I truly hope you aren't on the board of tourism wherever you live!
I'm not talking about tourist with visas who spend money and leave. There's no foreign tourism near me, just foreign welfare leeches. How many strawman arguments can we make?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:53 PM

33,299 posts, read 14,535,567 times
" Are we going 'overboard' to accomodate the Hispanic population?"

Not only yes but HELL YES.

In order to became a citizen you HAVE TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND ENGLISH.

"For English, dial 1, for Spanish, dual 2.

So, why do have so much gov't material in Spanish?

Why do we supply interpreters in gov't offices to help them fill out the forms.

I recently saw a sign at a voter site directing people where to go in English AND Spanish. If they are REQUIRED to understand and speak English, why have addition signs in Spanish?

Old 09-24-2018, 01:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
Do you guys get upset when people order quesadillas? Would you freak out if you were in New Orleans and saw a sign for beignets, or heard of someone doing an Omakase at a sushi place in Vegas?

Just curious as to how far this odd behavior extends.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:10 PM

3,479 posts, read 1,419,774 times
Default Looking for clues @ the scene ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88
That's interesting. Where does that median IQ come from? Do you have a source for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yah. MediaBias doesn't think much of Unz (see https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-unz-report/ ). I'll look around myself, & see what else is out there. & the source article is from June 2005 - a while ago.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:12 PM

807 posts, read 309,110 times
To ditchoc, the OP: You lost me at hello.....

Any sentence that starts with the words "I'm not racist, but" or similar formations is likely to contradict itself very rapidly.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:38 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,215,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't know what's so hard for some people to understand. The foreign language speakers, are loud and auditory annoying and speaking incoherently, usually not very bright, ethnocentric and ornery, and the show stopper most were never authorized to live here to begin with. What's there to like about this? If we or liberals would stop accommodating them in every way under the sun, they'd leave and stop coming here.
This is purely observational and different languages, but I have quite a few Brazilian friends and they very rarely speak Portuguese in public among each other. I have some Hispanic co-worker friends, and they definitely slip into Spanish amongst each other much more. I was just out at dinner with a friend who is Brazilian and another brazilian friend meeting for the first tine, and even upon first meeting, they introduced themselves in English (and only spoke English). Some of it is cultural I am guessing.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:44 PM

11,607 posts, read 3,242,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is purely observational and different languages, but I have quite a few Brazilian friends and they very rarely speak Portuguese in public among each other. I have some Hispanic co-worker friends, and they definitely slip into Spanish amongst each other much more. I was just out at dinner with a friend who is Brazilian and another brazilian friend meeting for the first tine, and even upon first meeting, they introduced themselves in English (and only spoke English). Some of it is cultural I am guessing.
Agree, taking up permanent or long term residence and not speaking English in public is generally a sign of rudeness and ignorance even arrogance, and of probably being an illegal alien. Most decent foreigners in America can and do speak English in public.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:06 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
I ordered a latte this morning....I must be an arrogant illegal!

Old 09-24-2018, 02:18 PM

15,546 posts, read 8,734,436 times
I hope that all these people who believe that foreign visitors or residents of the United States must always speak English are just as careful to speak the native language of any country they visit. So if you're lucky enough to visit someplace like say, China, you had better darn well be speaking Mandarin or Cantonese every time you open your mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or