U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 04:49 PM

10,275 posts, read 9,970,295 times

Advertisements

Looks as though we have a few of the Language Police here.

As for government business and public interaction with government, it needs to be done in English. Any individual who expects to reside here or become a citizen needs a basic proficiency in English.

BUT, as far as individual conversations both public and private and private business interactions, it is nobody's business which language is being used besides the people using it. This nation is based, in part, on freedom of speech. There was no mention about which languages were included in that freedom.

If you don't like hearing others speaking in another language, tough. It's not your business UNLESS you are a government official communicating officially with someone. At that point, you should expect to hold your conversation in English.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 04:52 PM

988 posts, read 435,593 times
I'm supposed to respond to something in this post. Not sure what. Looks like a lot of nonsense. But, have a nice day!

Old 09-24-2018, 05:47 PM

31,463 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I hope that all these people who believe that foreign visitors or residents of the United States must always speak English are just as careful to speak the native language of any country they visit. So if you're lucky enough to visit someplace like say, China, you had better darn well be speaking Mandarin or Cantonese every time you open your mouth.

There should be no requirement or expectations for visitors to speak the language of the country they are visiting. Although, knowing a few words and sentences would make their visit more pleasant.

IMO, if you become a resident of a country though you should learn and speak their language in public whenever possible. So yes, if I took up residence in China I would learn and speak their languages in public. I'm no hypocrite!

Old 09-24-2018, 05:54 PM

11,607 posts, read 3,242,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There should be no requirement or expectations for visitors to speak the language of the country they are visiting. Although, knowing a few words and sentences would make their visit more pleasant.

IMO, if you become a resident of a country though you should learn and speak their language in public whenever possible. So yes, if I took up residence in China I would learn and speak their languages in public. I'm no hypocrite!
Agree. Speaking a foreign language in public is not assimilating. I seriously question these Spanish speakers here are legal, but if they are then we need to stop issuing so many immigrant visas to latin America on the grounds they're not assimilating.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Serious question: As a natural born American citizen whose first language is American English, if I choose to speak French with my daughter, who is also a natural born American citizen whose first language is American English, at all times to improve our fluency, is that a problem?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Hilarious you'll mad because you'll not bilingual........

That makes no sense. If one wanted to be bi-lingual what would stop them?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 PM

11,607 posts, read 3,242,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Serious question: As a natural born American citizen whose first language is American English, if I choose to speak French with my daughter, who is also a natural born American citizen whose first language is American English, at all times to improve our fluency, is that a problem?
Probably not. French is usually pleasant sounding and there wouldn't be a boatload of people speaking it loudly to each other in a public setting.

To tell you the truth and it happens almost never so it's not a real problem, but if I pass by a white European and they're speaking some Eastern European language I don't recognize I assume they're foreigners of unknown status too.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:15 PM

482 posts, read 428,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
My pet peeve is speaking English. English is the language of North America.

My pet peeve is people who are bad at geography :-P

There are 23 countries in North America, Spanish is the dominant language in 9 of them, and French in one of them and a large portion of a second country. There are also 22 territories in North America where Spanish, French, Dutch, and English are all spoken (as well as various creoles and patois and some pre-columbian languages).

Old 09-24-2018, 06:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Probably not. French is usually pleasant sounding and there wouldn't be a boatload of people speaking it loudly to each other in a public setting.

To tell you the truth and it happens almost never so it's not a real problem, but if I pass by a white European and they're speaking some Eastern European language I don't recognize I assume they're foreigners of unknown status too.
So it would be different if we were speaking Spanish or Uzbek? Are you saying that it's all about the comfort of your ears? That's interesting.

As an aside, one of my daughter's high school boyfriends spoke Uzbek. His father was VP of an American mining company with interests there, and he picked it up while traveling with his parents.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's none of your business. Just like it's nobody's business what you're talking to people about when you're out in public.

Your neighborhood is changing. Either live with it or move. Those are your choices. Staying there and complaining about your neighbors and your community isn't going to change things.

But know this. No matter where you go you'll be miserable because being miserable is a choice you made when you became so committed to your narrow view of what your world should look like.

It may not be our business and there's no law against speaking a foreign language in public but that's not the point. IMO, if you know English it is rude and arrogant to not speak it in public. It's usually quite loud also and makes one feel like they are living in a foreign country. Our neighborhoods are changing due to too much legal and illegal immigration in a short period of time. Should we just embrace that as "change"? I don't consider that as being narrow minded. There are some very valid points to be made. Unfortunately, liberals can never see or understand anyone else's point of view but their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or