U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 08:12 PM

10,394 posts, read 10,003,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I never had to listen to foreigners speaking a foreign language until recent years after open borders policies and catering to illegals so they can live here. I don't like Hispanics speaking Spanish because it's awful.

You are creating a strawman argument that Americans would all be yammering in foreign languages for the sake of liberty. It was always intended for Americans to assimilate and speak English and that's what happened until very recently.
Again, allowing illegal aliens into the US has nothing to do with language. It has to do with allowing bodies into the US that are not supposed to be here.

I've heard foreign languages (yeah, mostly Spanish) since I was a kid back in the 60s. It's nothing new. There has always been lots of activities (churches, clubs, etc) conducted in foreign languages since the colonial days. Read some history. You guys are making mountains out of molehills. Second generation immigrants know English. They always have. My great grandmother spoke Norwegian. All her eleven children were able to speak English.

Most people I know who speak Spanish also speak English. Unless you are in an area that hires a lot of illegal immigrants, you are not hearing people speaking Spanish who cannot speak English. And which of the two they decide to speak on their own time is not your call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:13 PM

2,649 posts, read 684,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Hispanics will eventually be the majority in America the way things are going. Already they are the majority or near majority in CA, NM, TX.
True, and the advertisers are on it!! The biggest market is Latinos.

In California, the Spanish News station is the most popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcCudotri0E

Old 09-24-2018, 08:20 PM

31,704 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
True, and the advertisers are on it!! The biggest market is Latinos.

In California, the Spanish News station is the most popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcCudotri0E

Whoopee! Businesses are pandering to illegal alien Spanish speakers and the other Hispanics who want to feel all warm and fuzzy being catered to in Spanish even though they know English. Anything for a buck, right? Yes, there are several Spanish channels I have to sift through to get to an English station now. Their biggest market isn't even Latinos. White and black Americans combined way outnumber the Hispanics in this country. I guess English speakers are just chopped liver to them now.

There was a large department store in a decent area near where I live that catered to Spanish speakers alone. All of their ads over the intercom were in Spanish only. WTH? They went out of business and good riddance I say.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:20 PM

906 posts, read 815,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Only a handful of federal laws mandate the use of languages other than English:

Immigration procedures: interpreters must be available during the physical and mental examination of foreigners seeking entry to the United States 8 U.S.C. 1224.

Due process: court interpreters must be provided in federal civil and criminal trials that involve parties or witnesses who are not proficient in English 28 U.S.C. 1827.

Migrant health care: bilingual personnel must be provided in federally funded migrant health centers and alcohol abuse programs that serve a significant non-English-speaking population 42 U.S.C. 254b(f)(3)(J), 245c, 4577b.

Voting rights: bilingual ballots and voter information must be provided in jurisdictions where speakers of Spanish, Native American, and Asian American languages exceed 5 percent of the population or number more than 10,000 and have below average rates of voter turnout and English proficiency 42 U.S.C. 1973aa-1a.

Less than 1/2 of one percent of Federal documents are printed in languages other than English.

Motor Vehicle departments offer the drivers test in many other languages (depending on the state). Yes, it costs the government money. And i never quite got that, since THE SIGNS ARE IN ENGLISH....

Old 09-24-2018, 08:24 PM

31,704 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Why on earth would it be rude for me to sit at a table at a restaurant or on a bench in the park and speak a language other than English? Maybe you should consider how rude it is to eavesdrop on other people's conversations.

I don't eavesdrop on anyone's private conversations nor do I want to, duh. I couldn't care less what they are discussing. What I object to is loud talking in a foreign language within everyone else's earshot. That's different than a quiet private conversation that no one can hear anyway.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 PM

12,015 posts, read 3,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Again, allowing illegal aliens into the US has nothing to do with language. It has to do with allowing bodies into the US that are not supposed to be here.
It has everything to do with Spanish language and everything else under the sun. There were no foreign speakers let alone Spanish speakers or any Hispanics to speak of in many cities like mine till recent years. Not even in the historic districts like say German village has anyone heard foreign languages being spoken in their lifetime.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:31 PM

15,701 posts, read 8,787,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't eavesdrop on anyone's private conversations nor do I want to, duh. I couldn't care less what they are discussing. What I object to is loud talking in a foreign language within everyone else's earshot. That's different than a quiet private conversation that no one can hear anyway.
Oh, don't backtrack now, Oldglory. You made it quite clear that I would be in the wrong to speak French with my daughter outside of our home, even though we are native born U.S. citizens with English as a first language because, apparently, it's rude. But why is it rude?

Old 09-24-2018, 08:34 PM

15,701 posts, read 8,787,561 times
Quote:
It has everything to do with Spanish language and everything else under the sun. There were no foreign speakers let alone Spanish speakers or any Hispanics to speak of in many cities like mine till recent years. Not even in the historic districts like say German village has anyone heard foreign languages being spoken in their lifetime.
Where on earth do you live that it's never had speakers of any language other than English within its borders? Oh nevermind, I looked it up. Columbus, is it? As another born and bred Ohioan, I call you on your complete and utter nonsense! Ohio has a long history of immigrant communities, many of whom hung onto their native language and culture for generations after they settled in the Midwest, and if you had no contact with them, then you must have hidden yourself away in a cave.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:40 PM

5,238 posts, read 1,573,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
It is ironic how so many countries (with France being a big exception) are willing to accommodate English speakers who don't speak their language.

What does it cost for us to be more like them.

It is just plain ridiculous how we are the only country that prides itself in being monolingual.
That's because English is the universal language of commerce, and English speaking peoples are traditionally familiar as tourists, as liberators, or benefactors of various things. The English language was also spread via the British colonials into countries all over the planet, thus creating a long-standing familiarity not just with the language but also law and other customs. That is why English is the international language and not, say, Swahili.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It most certainly IS the point if you believe in the principles on which this nation was founded.

Your opinion of what sounds good and bad or how it makes you feel is not addressed in our code of laws. There are ordinances for maximum sound decibel levels in most cities, but unless they are talking at about 90 decibels over an extended time, you really have no legal recourse.

That has nothing to do with language. It has to do with a government that either will not enforce its immigration laws or will not enact appropriate laws.

Point of view (opinion) has nothing to do with legality. I hate rap. I hate tattoos. I hate bloomer shorts. I hate loud diesel trucks. I hate long stringy hair on women. Etc. Because I hate these things, should my point of view hold any water at all, legally speaking? Should there be some ordinance to suit my tastes and opinions and whether I think rap is rude or a woman's hair color is offensive to me?

Answer: NO. Because I believe in individual liberty. That includes your hairstyle or which language you speak on your own time.

If we spoke a language that "made sense," we would all be speaking Esperanto. Incredibly easy to learn and incredibly consistent grammatically. There is nothing logical about English. It just happens to be what we speak. We didn't choose it because it "made sense," because it doesn't.
Individual liberty has nothing to do with immigration dude. What is your point?

Quote:
Correct.

The other issue of foreigners speaking foreign language in public is that it is a security risk. People could be communicating to evade/deceive police or to plan an attack, and the American citizens would be unaware of the threatening nature of their communications.

When everyone is speaking the same language, that can't happen.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:41 PM

12,015 posts, read 3,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Where on earth do you live that it's never had speakers of any language other than English within its borders?
I didn't quite say that. There are many places in America that had been entirely white English speaking and a percentage black American for over a century and no one for most of a century were expose to foreign speakers until recently. I'm sure there were some European immigrants way in the past who were say German speakers but they were discrete and picked up English quick as did their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or