U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-24-2018, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Reno, NV
459 posts, read 142,672 times
Reputation: 1561

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Maybe it's because there's an audience for it and the ads sell. So what? It's called the free market. Capitalism. Basic Economics 101.

I used to work in satellte communications, and the digitalization of broadcasts over the past decades has expanded the quantity of bandwidth available for media. If you don't like it, don't watch! Watch what you like. What others consume is their own business. Capish?

Go lose your head over Univision and Telemundo, then. As long as there's an audience for it, there will be one. In any case, trying to be the culture police is a losing proposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Commercial TV & radio is about ad revenue. If Hispanic families are larger on average than non-Hispanic families, then Hispanic families buy more groceries, personal care items, clothes, furniture, media, fast food, & on & on. If the choice is pursuing a growing market or a shrinking market, the people with product to move will always pursue the growing market.


It's nothing personal. It's just straightforward statistical analysis - & pursuing the biggest bang for the buck.

I understand that. What I don't like is the fact that they crowd out English stations. They are regulated by the FCC (which is why I said "over the air"). I should not have to flip past one Spanish station after another in my own country! LEARN ENGLISH!!!


I am tired of this country turning into Mexico!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2018, 11:08 PM
 
Location: The analog world
15,572 posts, read 8,749,121 times
Reputation: 20900
What are you talking about? Cable TV offers hundreds of stations, the vast majority of which broadcast in English. Is it really that much of a burden to click by Univision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2018, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Reno, NV
459 posts, read 142,672 times
Reputation: 1561
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What are you talking about? Cable TV offers hundreds of stations, the vast majority of which broadcast in English. Is it really that much of a burden to click by Univision?

I said OVER THE AIR


I am frugal and do not pay for cable TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2018, 11:14 PM
 
Location: The analog world
15,572 posts, read 8,749,121 times
Reputation: 20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
I said OVER THE AIR


I am frugal and do not pay for cable TV.
You are not being deprived of over-the-air stations that broadcast in English because a Spanish station has been added to the line up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2018, 11:15 PM
 
11,682 posts, read 3,261,930 times
Reputation: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
I said OVER THE AIR


I am frugal and do not pay for cable TV.
I know what you mean. Democrats are helping turn America into latin America with their open borders policies that are contrary to our laws. Broadcast stations are limited in quantity. I have cable but it's the principle of the thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2018, 11:50 PM
 
3,883 posts, read 2,505,765 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
I understand that. What I don't like is the fact that they crowd out English stations. They are regulated by the FCC (which is why I said "over the air"). I should not have to flip past one Spanish station after another in my own country! LEARN ENGLISH!!!


I am tired of this country turning into Mexico!

oof! First world problems eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 06:56 AM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8354
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Commercial TV & radio is about ad revenue. If Hispanic families are larger on average than non-Hispanic families, then Hispanic families buy more groceries, personal care items, clothes, furniture, media, fast food, & on & on. If the choice is pursuing a growing market or a shrinking market, the people with product to move will always pursue the growing market.


It's nothing personal. It's just straightforward statistical analysis - & pursuing the biggest bang for the buck.

I reiterate that there are far more whites and blacks in this country than there are Hispanics. I also reiterate that most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual so just who are they actually pandering to? I'll leave you to fill in the blanks. You know darned well where this growing market is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 07:02 AM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8354
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It was a hypothetical situation, but I'd do it because speaking 100% of the time in a foreign language builds fluency quickly. The goal is to stop translating in your head and begin thinking in the language you're seeking to master. The way to do that is complete immersion.

I must ask, though; do you also consider it rude when English speakers use loud voices in public, or is it just foreign language speakers that offend you?

That complete immersion can happen at home also. Yes, it is rude for English speakers to talk real loud out in public also. Going to dinner comes to mind. You can't enjoy it when some groups don't keep their voices down. However, when it's in a foreign language it is more offensive as it sounds like babble to those who don't understand that language and as I said unless you are a tourist and don't know English there is no reason to converse in a foreign language in that type of setting.


I rarely hear a foreign language other than Spanish being spoken and it's nearly always real loud and seems to go on forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 07:15 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,665 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Reputation: 11164
We should not pander to any foreign-language speaking population in the United States.

I can speak a foreign language fluently myself. But I don't expect anybody to "pander" to me because of it. That would be ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 07:54 AM
 
Location: The analog world
15,572 posts, read 8,749,121 times
Reputation: 20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That complete immersion can happen at home also. Yes, it is rude for English speakers to talk real loud out in public also. Going to dinner comes to mind. You can't enjoy it when some groups don't keep their voices down. However, when it's in a foreign language it is more offensive as it sounds like babble to those who don't understand that language and as I said unless you are a tourist and don't know English there is no reason to converse in a foreign language in that type of setting.


I rarely hear a foreign language other than Spanish being spoken and it's nearly always real loud and seems to go on forever.
Clearly, you have not traveled much in your life because in any major city you're likely to hear all sorts of languages when out and about in public. I really don't know what your deal is, but perhaps it's you who should consider staying home all day. It's more than obvious that the kind of tolerance required for coexisting peacefully with other people is not your strong suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top