U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 05:00 PM

4,334 posts, read 2,292,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I do not mean this to be racist. Hispanics are a great culture of hardworking people. I do not have an issue with their immigration to the US. They have brought new diversity and skills to the US.

My pet peeve is speaking English. English is the language of North America.

It has gotten to the point that virtually every set of instructions that come with anything you buy are in English and Spanish. Every time you call a telephone number you have a choice to press something for English or Spanish. I swear, I items for sale in Walmart and the box does not have one word of English on it, its all in Spanish.

I understand accommodation. However, I do believe immigrants to the US should learn English but the level of accommodation has gotten to the point that Hispanics do not have to learn English. Virtually everything is in Spanish. Sometimes to the point English speaking people are having to learn Spanish.

The whole Hispanic speaking accommodation is now a steam roller because businesses want to sell products so they target their audience.

It appears we are going to become a bi-lingual country.
No it’s not. English is A language of North America. So is Spanish (Mexico, Caribbean and Central America), French (Quebec and Caribbean), etc. So your statement is patently false.

How about this? When someone wants to communicate with you, they should speak English. Otherwise, let people have the freedom of speech to communicate however they want.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 05:21 PM

31,463 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Some of those people who speak Spanish in public are U.S. citizens.

Still we should not be obligated to accommodate them in Spanish as most who are U.S. citizens are bi-lingual.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcot View Post
Racist? No

Realist? Yes

It simply does no good to get angry about things you can't control or change. The ship has sailed on immigration. The immigrants in the US now are not going to leave, more are coming daily and their children are being born in the US and are US citizens from birth.

Why continue to get angry and upset about something that is never going away? Does throwing a tantrum make you feel better or change anything at all?

What do you mean we can't stop illegal aliens from coming here? Are you serious? Implementing e-verify, building the wall and ending benefits to them and their kids would go a long ways in stopping them from coming here illegally and illegal immigration isn't "immigration", duh. Their anchors are only deemed citizens by virtue of a PC policy not at all in our Constitution. That needs to end also.

Temper tantrum? It's only illegal aliens and their supporters such as you that are throwing temper tantrums at any attempt to stop this madness.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Because it's a free country..? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, you are free to be rude if you want to but why be rude unless you're an arrogant a**!

Old 09-26-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcot View Post
You can stomp your feet and whine all you want but the change is inevitable and there is nothing you or anyone can do to stop or reverse it. The US is quickly becoming a 'minority majority' country. The old white folks are just going to have to deal with it. Why not learn a little Spanish, try some new foods and expand your horizons a little bit?

It is actually creepy to learn that some old white people are sitting in public places seething with anger simply because others are speaking to each other in a foreign language. I honestly can't even understand how someone could get angry about private conversations going on around them. I hear people talking to each other every day, I don't know or care what they are saying. It is all just part of the background noise of life.

Old white folks? That says a lot about you to make that kind of remark. How do you know it doesn't irritate other races to hear loud conversations (not private and quiet) in a foreign language? Why should I learn Spanish when Hispanic-Americans are usually bi-lingual and we have our nation's common language of English to communicate in? I eat a lot of ethnic foods that doesn't mean I should embrace too much immigration and certainly I should not embrace illegal immigration.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Also the women. Don’t forget the women..

We have plenty of Hispanic women here who are citizens of our country and they aren't any better looking than any other ethic/racial group. We certainly don't need more and especially for them to come here illegally.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:40 PM

8,280 posts, read 5,831,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Oh so you DON'T like diversity? Ok got it.
To twist the definition of diversity in a way to make like Anglos are threatened in North America is a pretty strange way I'll say.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:41 PM

8,280 posts, read 5,831,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
If illegals came here from an English-speaking country and took up all the affordable housing, overcrowded the schools, overcrowded the emergency rooms, and competed with Americans for work, I would have the same problem with them... get out!
Ah, when you've been rebutted on language usage, just change the topic to immigration. Not a sign of a winning hand or sound argument.

Particularly when all of what you said is rubbish and nativist paranoia that isn't supported by facts.

Last edited by silverkris; 09-26-2018 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-26-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Some will, and some won't. It just doesn't change it. Might as well pick your battles.

I doubt Spanish will continue generation after generation but advertising to Latinos and what they prefer to buy, eat and wear most certainly will. It's already happening. Hulu gives me half my commercials in Spanish and half in English without a choice. At first, I thought I accidentally ask for it but naw, they just do that now. Times are changing.

Yeah, times are changing and I already told you why. It's not a natural or lawful process. Illegal immigration and unassimilating "immigrants" is something we should all fight against. Never before have we ever had so many here both legally and illegally from mostly one ethnic group so they aren't going to assimilate they are colonizing. Why are there so many Spanish channels? That wasn't the case decades ago. Just more proof that Spanish speakers aren't assimilating. Remain in denial if you wish.

Last edited by Oldglory; 09-26-2018 at 05:55 PM..

Old 09-26-2018, 05:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yeah, you are free to be rude if you want to but why be rude unless you're an arrogant a**!
Again, it is not rude to have a conversation in any language in public, given the setting does not require silence. Yelling is rude. Speaking to another person in a normal tone of voice using Spanish, Swahili, Uzbek or any other language is not rude. That you personally find it annoying does not make it rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or