U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 06:49 PM

10,818 posts, read 6,934,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yeah, times are changing and I already told you why. It's not a natural or lawful process. Illegal immigration and unassimilating "immigrants" is something we should all fight against. Never before have we ever had so many here both legally and illegally from mostly one ethnic group so they aren't going to assimilate they are colonizing. Why there there so many Spanish channels? That wasn't the case decades ago. Just more proof that Spanish speakers aren't assimilating. Remain in denial if you wish.
Nearly every single child from immigrant families learns English and assimilates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 07:05 PM

31,886 posts, read 14,678,159 times
t
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
So this is not a great start to this post. 1st: if you have to lead with "I do not mean this to be racist," then you should probably just stop and keep it to yourself. 2nd: Hispanics are not one culture. Hispanic encompasses the Spanish-speaking peoples of the Americas, covering dozens of countries and hundreds of millions of people.

North America, as others have pointed out, includes Canada (official languages French & English), Mexico (official language Spanish) and the United States (no official language).

Is that really a hardship for you?

Businesses want to appeal to Spanish-speaking customers. 2nd generation immigrants from Spanish-speaking countries, almost always speak English. Learning Spanish provides a valuable job skill.

Is that a problem?

We have no official language. Dozens of languages are spoken in the United States.

This is a candidate for one of the dumbest posts I've seen in a long time.

Indeed. Parts of the present day US used to be parts of Mexico, and Spanish holdings before that.

Hot flash for you. Mexico does not have an official language either. We do have a national de facto language and it's English, not Spanish or any other language. Your clue is parts of the U.S.
"use" to be Mexico a long, long time ago and is irrelevant anyway.

Businesses are appealing to illegal alien Spanish speakers, period. That's also the reason that learning Spanish is being pushed in this country so no, it's not valuable. Most Hispanic-Americans and legal immigrants speak English.

Having to press 1 for English and 2 for Spanish only reminds us of how many illegals aliens are in our country. So no, it's not a hardship but an irritating reminder.

Bringing up the whole North American continent is irrelevant also. We are speaking of the U.S. only and like it or not our language is English.

Last edited by Oldglory; 09-26-2018 at 07:13 PM..

Old 09-26-2018, 07:07 PM

12,249 posts, read 3,369,829 times
Quote:
Old white folks? That says a lot about you to make that kind of remark. How do you know it doesn't irritate other races to hear loud conversations (not private and quiet) in a foreign language? Why should I learn Spanish when Hispanic-Americans are usually bi-lingual and we have our nation's common language of English to communicate in? I eat a lot of ethnic foods that doesn't mean I should embrace too much immigration and certainly I should not embrace illegal immigration.
I had Tex-Mex and Mexican food available where I live many years before there was any noticeable Hispanic presence. Sure there are now more Hispanic owned, operated and patronaged restaurants here now, but they are unwelcoming, not very good and I seem to feel ill after eating at them. Since when did you have to be a certain ethnic to cook a certain cuisine or recipe lol?

Old 09-26-2018, 07:08 PM

31,886 posts, read 14,678,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Again, it is not rude to have a conversation in any language in public, given the setting does not require silence. Yelling is rude. Speaking to another person in a normal tone of voice using Spanish, Swahili, Uzbek or any other language is not rude. That you personally find it annoying does not make it rude.

Merely your opinion. You don't have the right to say your opinion is right and mine is wrong. It is rude to talk loudly in any language disturbing others. Most Spanish speakers in particular are loud/yelling and obnoxious. So then we actually agree it is rude.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Again, it is not rude to have a conversation in any language in public, given the setting does not require silence. Yelling is rude. Speaking to another person in a normal tone of voice using Spanish, Swahili, Uzbek or any other language is not rude. That you personally find it annoying does not make it rude.
Being annoying and ignorant of it, just makes you rude and ignorant. The way Spanish and other foreign languages are spoken in public is annoying to many Americans. if some foreign nations would tend to find English speaking and American rednecks annoying, I wouldn't automatically put the onus on the natives.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Merely your opinion. You don't have the right to say your opinion is right and mine is wrong. It is rude to talk loudly in any language disturbing others. Most Spanish speakers in particular are loud/yelling and obnoxious. So then we actually agree it is rude.
A lot of it is intentional. Some of the foreigners act even humble and aren't so loud (that's not an excuse for illegally immigrating and not learning English though) but many of them are arrogant and proud and even aggressive or suspicious acting.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:34 PM

465 posts, read 145,578 times
How is it possible for a U.S. citizen to not speak English? Even the illegal kids get ESL instruction in public schools, 100% free, all on the backs of taxpayers. Same for the anchor babies. Did these non-English speaking U.S. citizens drop out of the 3rd grade?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:11 PM

3,496 posts, read 1,435,344 times
Default A separate peace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
How is it possible for a U.S. citizen to not speak English? Even the illegal kids get ESL instruction in public schools, 100% free, all on the backs of taxpayers. Same for the anchor babies. Did these non-English speaking U.S. citizens drop out of the 3rd grade?
In the US, most public schooling K-12 is not free, it's typically based on property taxes - which most people pay, one way or another, as part of renting or part of a mortgage. In that sense, the taxpayers are usually on the hook for education, & other goods & services, which vary from state to state.

Federal law requires that all children who present themselves for education K-12 must be served, in the most appropriate way possible. & surely you wouldn't want children left out of the education system - we have quite enough problems with kids joining up with gangs & petty theft & general delinquency. The whole point of education is to make options available to incoming generations - prepare them for life as citizens & taxpayers.

Unless you'd prefer the alternative?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:14 PM

My property taxes are going to supporting and teaching illegal aliens' kids English, then they annoy me in public speaking in Spanish . How is this right?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:19 PM

465 posts, read 145,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
In the US, most public schooling K-12 is not free, it's typically based on property taxes - which most people pay, one way or another, as part of renting or part of a mortgage. In that sense, the taxpayers are usually on the hook for education, & other goods & services, which vary from state to state.

Federal law requires that all children who present themselves for education K-12 must be served, in the most appropriate way possible. & surely you wouldn't want children left out of the education system - we have quite enough problems with kids joining up with gangs & petty theft & general delinquency. The whole point of education is to make options available to incoming generations - prepare them for life as citizens & taxpayers.

Unless you'd prefer the alternative?

The alternative to educating illegal kids at our cost is to deport them. I welcome the alternative... the law, actually, it would be nice it were enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or