U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2018, 05:35 AM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Are they "immigrants" or illegal aliens? There is a difference you know. That's the problem with Joe Cheapskate he only thinks of himself and not the American worker or taxpayer.

I say BS to your last comment! I know plenty of whites and some blacks that do manual labor jobs. America has always had a large blue-collared workforce. They have been the backbone of this country. I don't have to look hard to see white and black fast food workers either. They are usually our American youth getting a start in the workforce. Whenever I see an e-verify sign at a fast food place all you see are white and black workers. Illegal aliens have chased off American construction workers by working for less and that's a manual labor job that used to pay a fair wage. You don't know what you are talking about.
I’m not saying that there are no working class whites in America. I’m well aware that there are.

However, I live in a sanctuary jurisdiction in which illegal immigrants have many kinds of protection, receive aid from the government and even get drivers licenses. The schools know that they have illegal immigrants. But they are not required to report them. They have specific anti-bullying policies regarding the children of illegal immigrants. I know a principal who learned Spanish to communicate better with the students in his school.

The working class whites that used to be here have left the area. I saw it happen over a number of years. There still are lots of whites who live here. But nearly all of them are middle class or affluent. Very few of them do low-skilled or menial jobs.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-29-2018 at 05:43 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 07:25 AM

31,463 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Iím not saying that there are no working class whites in America. Iím well aware that there are.

However, I live in a sanctuary jurisdiction in which illegal immigrants have many kinds of protection, receive aid from the government and even get drivers licenses. The schools know that they have illegal immigrants. But they are not required to report them. They have specific anti-bullying policies regarding the children of illegal immigrants. I know a principal who learned Spanish to communicate better with the students in his school.

The working class whites that used to be here have left the area. I saw it happen over a number of years. There still are lots of whites who live here. But nearly all of them are middle class or affluent. Very few of them do low-skilled or menial jobs.

I see you live on the east coast. You have no idea what it's like out here in the southwest and northwest. You probably aren't experiencing it to the full extent as we are out here. Illegal aliens have flooded the blue-collared industries out here and specifically the construction industry. This whole mess needs to be cleaned up and illegal aliens deported and in keeping with the topic at hand yes, they are mostly Spanish speaking Hispanics and are being pandered to in Spanish and in every other way. Never in my lifetime did I ever think that we would come to this. It's truly heartbreaking seeing this happen.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Hardly overboard. We had far greater pressures during the immigration rush after the Civil War.

Immigrants tend to be great entrepreneurs, and if they are a drain on public funds in the first generation, their kids seem to be good net contributors.

I'm for more immigration because in the long run, it breeds more creativity, innovation, acceptance, and profits. Think about how many tech firms rely on Asian immigrants, as a crude example.

The topic is about going overboard to accommodate the Hispanic population and the fact is that it's so because we have so many here illegally and those here legally who refuse to assimilate linguistically. We never had so many illegal aliens here at one time ever! That's the reason for this topic heading.

Illegal aliens aren't "immigrants" either. I also disagree that we need a lot of legal immigrants for innovation, etc. We have plenty of our own citizens who fit all the flowering descriptions that you mentioned. Our own American IT workers have been ran off their jobs by cheap workers from India, etc.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:01 AM

15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I do not mean this to be racist. Hispanics are a great culture of hardworking people. I do not have an issue with their immigration to the US. They have brought new diversity and skills to the US.

My pet peeve is speaking English. English is the language of North America.

It has gotten to the point that virtually every set of instructions that come with anything you buy are in English and Spanish. Every time you call a telephone number you have a choice to press something for English or Spanish. I swear, I items for sale in Walmart and the box does not have one word of English on it, its all in Spanish.

I understand accommodation. However, I do believe immigrants to the US should learn English but the level of accommodation has gotten to the point that Hispanics do not have to learn English. Virtually everything is in Spanish. Sometimes to the point English speaking people are having to learn Spanish.

The whole Hispanic speaking accommodation is now a steam roller because businesses want to sell products so they target their audience.

It appears we are going to become a bi-lingual country.
Roflmao! Mexico is in North America, as are Haiti, Cuba, and a bunch of other non-English speaking nations. Meanwhile, French is one of the two national languages of Canada which means all of their governmental policies, products, etc. are also in French. As for the US, there is no official national language and some states like Hawaii, have two official languages.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:22 AM

4,513 posts, read 1,940,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Roflmao! Mexico is in North America, as are Haiti, Cuba, and a bunch of other non-English speaking nations. Meanwhile, French is one of the two national languages of Canada which means all of their governmental policies, products, etc. are also in French. As for the US, there is no official national language and some states like Hawaii, have two official languages.
Actually over half the states in the U.S. recognize English as their official language.

The majority of the Americas are Spanish-speaking, so I can't figure out why anyone would feel threatened or get upset by English, the minority language of the hemisphere, being declared the official language of the United States.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:29 AM

3,861 posts, read 2,500,154 times
Quote:
If you don't know what our culture and values are then you're not an American. Look it up yourself. I'm not here to do your homework for you. Did you even bother to read the link I provided? The points were very valid.
Sry for the delayed reply.

One thing I'll give you, is your right about the illegal immigration is a problem. I don't hate them because I don't blame them. But if they are deported it's all fair game(IMO a wall is overboard but that's another subject all together).

Always figured, American values are working hard, and taking care of your family and community..

Most immigrants have that covered. Capitalism is another with immigrants starting their own restaurants and stores that sell food unique to their culture.

About language and their culture, their kids and their kid's kids are gonna be more Americanized as time passes. My brothers are way more Americanized than me. I still know Spanish, and they know very little of it. Their kids won't know it, and they might not even marry the same race. My brother is dating a white girl, my sister dates a guy who seems Hispanic but knows no Spanish.

As generations pass, things pretty much buff themselves out..

Old 09-29-2018, 11:55 AM

15,832 posts, read 5,390,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Personally, I don't understand the resistance in learning English. My grandparents were so proud to be here, so proud to be Americans they couldn't wait to learn to speak, read, and write the language of their new home. The only time they spoke Italian at home was when they didn't want us (their grandchildren) to understand what they were talking about, which was rare.
My great grandparents only spoke Slovak until the day they died, my grandparents were bilingual, and my dad and aunts only spoke English. The way it usually works

Old 09-29-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Sry for the delayed reply.

One thing I'll give you, is your right about the illegal immigration is a problem. I don't hate them because I don't blame them. But if they are deported it's all fair game(IMO a wall is overboard but that's another subject all together).

Always figured, American values are working hard, and taking care of your family and community..

Most immigrants have that covered. Capitalism is another with immigrants starting their own restaurants and stores that sell food unique to their culture.

About language and their culture, their kids and their kid's kids are gonna be more Americanized as time passes. My brothers are way more Americanized than me. I still know Spanish, and they know very little of it. Their kids won't know it, and they might not even marry the same race. My brother is dating a white girl, my sister dates a guy who seems Hispanic but knows no Spanish.

As generations pass, things pretty much buff themselves out..

Seems you are blurring the lines between immigrants and illegal aliens. You jump from one to the other. I don't hate illegal aliens either I merely object to their presence here. How many times do I have to post the links proving that the good walls have been very effective before you and yours stop remaining in denial?

Yes, those are a part of American values. Many immigrants share those values to but again illegal aliens aren't immigrants. I don't care what family values illegal aliens have they don't give a damn about our immigration laws and are harmful to Americans.

Once again, unless we stop illegal immigration from south of our border and stop allotting them the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country then Spanish will continue to be their primary language of usage in this country rather than English (if they even bother to learn it) generation after generation. We will also have a continuous flow of non-English speakers into our country and the pandering will continue and so will us having to listen to it spoken loudly and obnoxiously out in public all the time.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Actually over half the states in the U.S. recognize English as their official language.

The majority of the Americas are Spanish-speaking, so I can't figure out why anyone would feel threatened or get upset by English, the minority language of the hemisphere, being declared the official language of the United States.

Exactly! What does the entire North American continent have to do with the fact that the U.S. an individual country has English as it's national de facto language? We aren't allowed our own language?

Old 09-29-2018, 01:17 PM

3,861 posts, read 2,500,154 times
Quote:
Exactly! What does the entire North American continent have to do with the fact that the U.S. an individual country has English as it's national de facto language? We aren't allowed our own language?
Who knows, languages change overtime. Maybe North America's official language would be a hybrid of spanish and english.

I think bladerunner they had a language that was a mix of multiple languages. "city speak"..

Hell some English words actually derive from latin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or