Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:17 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,220,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
See what I'm saying:

People invent some bullsh*t reason to say that English is not the language of the U.S, and they actually believe themselves. If we try to make English official, they will rationalize having multiple official languages.

Just ignore them, and all foreign languages disappear.
Its being pushed by liberal governments. They print and do business in 100+ langugages. Instead of just forcing people who want to transact or participate in government business to provide their own translators. Leftist courts have ruled its "unconstitutional" to not "accommodate" them...another mysterious "right" that magically benefits only foreigners, conjured up out of nowhere to destroy and subvert America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 12:20 PM

3,847 posts, read 2,221,550 times
Where do people live where this is a problem?

I live in NYC, which is probably one of the most linguistically diverse cities in the world and there are virtually no language related issues.

English is the only functional language, and immigrants just speak their foreign languages among themselves.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Not everyone learns new languages easily. Do you know any children born in the USA who don't speak English or are your observations based on FOB immigrants?
Not everyone learns new languages easily, and yet people all across Europe have managed to learn English as a second language. Previous generations of immigrants have managed to learn English. It's only in the latter part of my life that immigrants are not learning English.

More than 10% of children entering schools in eight states do not speak English. The eight states include California where 21% of children entering schools do not know how to speak English, and Texas and Nevada where the number is 17%.

Do I know them, is your question? No, I don't know them. Is there a reason you ask?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:22 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,344,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Nothing irritates me more than seeing American products labeled in Spanish. Call a bean, a bean, the picture is on the can All this Spanish accommodation is typical liberal thinking. It is harm in the guise of helping. How is hindering Spanish speaking people from learning English helpful? It isn’t. It is keeping them from learning the language sooner.

The only time I feel accommodation should be necessary is for school children who have not been exposed to English. They can’t be expected to learn, if they can’t understand, so they should get extra help, along with learning English.
No, that is a deliberate decision made by the manufacturer or supplier of a product, usually a private company. Take it up with the company - they'll just laugh at you. It has nothing to do with "liberal thinking" and everything to do with dollars, or dineros.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Who says that there is any resistance to learning English today?

Today's immigrants, and that includes Latino immigrants, acquire English language proficiency at the same rates or as faster than yesterday's immigrants. Maybe grandma (or abulita, nonna, whoever) won't really be able to speak English as well, but the successive generations do that.

I'm 2nd generation Chinese American and just because I speak Mandarin (and Cantonese) doesn't mean I don't speak English fluently.
See my post #33.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:26 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,108,649 times
I'm amused this keeps you up at night..

Old 09-21-2018, 12:28 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,396,229 times
If a Spanish-speaker comes to the U.S., it's understandable that they may hardly know English for a while. However, if you are an expat in another country for over a year and you don't write/speak at least a moderate amount of 1 of the native writing systems/languages, shame on you.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I'm amused this keeps you up at night..
You don't quote anyone, but if this is directed toward me, let me know and I'd be happy to respond.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,108,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You don't quote anyone, but if this is directed toward me, let me know and I'd be happy to respond.
Not you, just the OP. Like c'mon man. lol

Old 09-21-2018, 12:36 PM

3,847 posts, read 2,221,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
However, if you are an expat in another country for over a year and you don't write/speak at least a moderate amount of 1 of the native writing systems/languages, shame on you.
Well the free market forces people to learn English, we don't need to legally enforce it.

If you come to the United States and never learn English, you'll have very limited job opportunities and prospects. People who don't speak English are confined to their small ethnic communities and can't do much of anything. Most immigrants don't want to live that life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies