Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 12:59 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times

Advertisements

Here in southwest Washington state it's Russian. A lot of them live here and there's enough of a community that even their children born here don't bother to learn English.

But technology is making this easier. Was at an eye appointment and they were managing to talk to a client in Russian using Google translate on their phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 12:59 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Even if English were our official language, that wouldn't stop private companies from printing labels or instructions in multiple languages. Are we going to make it illegal to speak anything except English in the US? That would kill the tourism industry.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Sorry, but we don't have an official language in the US. You can speak whatever language you prefer.

I'm proud to be learning Spanish right now.

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Only a handful of federal laws mandate the use of languages other than English:

Immigration procedures: interpreters must be available during the physical and mental examination of foreigners seeking entry to the United States – 8 U.S.C. 1224.

Due process: court interpreters must be provided in federal civil and criminal trials that involve parties or witnesses who are not proficient in English – 28 U.S.C. 1827.

Migrant health care: bilingual personnel must be provided in federally funded migrant health centers and alcohol abuse programs that serve a significant non-English-speaking population – 42 U.S.C. 254b(f)(3)(J), 245c, 4577b.

Voting rights: bilingual ballots and voter information must be provided in jurisdictions where speakers of Spanish, Native American, and Asian American languages exceed 5 percent of the population or number more than 10,000 and have below average rates of voter turnout and English proficiency – 42 U.S.C. 1973aa-1a.

Less than 1/2 of one percent of Federal documents are printed in languages other than English.

I was speaking about our state government, and I'm sure those vary.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
When the market disappears (and it IS disappearing) they will stop.

Pretty soon Univision is not going to have an audience. They are already planning to make an English Language network to attract young native born "hispanics" viewers that don't speak Spanish.

Let the free market do it's work. There's no reason to legally enforce language.

How will the market disappear unless we stop illegal immigration from south of our border and stop allotting Spanish speakers the largest quotas for legal immigration into our country?

There are far more Spanish speaking parents who are passing that language onto their kids than the other way around. No one is suggesting we force English on anyone just because we make English our official language. There never will be a law where other languages are not permitted to be spoken.

988 posts, read 682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Here in southwest Washington state it's Russian. A lot of them live here and there's enough of a community that even their children born here don't bother to learn English.
I find this hard to believe.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:02 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,110,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
True, I started speaking Spanish first, but when I started school I started learning English along with my cousins. Sad thing is that my dad joined the Military, we left L.A. for a while and I lost 50% of my Spanish lol. Sometimes there's miscommunications with my grandmother when I see her lol.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:03 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Why not? There are stores, churches, etc that operate primarily in Russian here. A lot of the jobs more typically done by Spanish speaking immigrants in other parts of the country are done by Russian speaking immigrants here.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:03 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sorry, but we don't have an official language in the US. You can speak whatever language you prefer.

I'm proud to be learning Spanish right now.

Why? Most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual so why would you need to learn Spanish to communicate with them?

Old 09-21-2018, 01:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The point is, they are learning/acquiring English like anyone else, which was my point.

https://thesocietypages.org/socimage...-s-immigrants/
This is based on census data, however, and illegals are very reluctant to fill out the census.

I don't think this is the most accurate information. But given that no English is spoken in a high number of households and 10 - 21% of children do not speak English when starting school in 8 states, it begs the question of how interested they are in learning English. They're not all new arrivals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies