Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 01:18 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I do not mean this to be racist. Hispanics are a great culture of hardworking people. I do not have an issue with their immigration to the US. They have brought new diversity and skills to the US.

My pet peeve is speaking English. English is the language of North America.

It has gotten to the point that virtually every set of instructions that come with anything you buy are in English and Spanish. Every time you call a telephone number you have a choice to press something for English or Spanish. I swear, I items for sale in Walmart and the box does not have one word of English on it, its all in Spanish.

I understand accommodation. However, I do believe immigrants to the US should learn English but the level of accommodation has gotten to the point that Hispanics do not have to learn English. Virtually everything is in Spanish. Sometimes to the point English speaking people are having to learn Spanish.

The whole Hispanic speaking accommodation is now a steam roller because businesses want to sell products so they target their audience.

It appears we are going to become a bi-lingual country.
Canada is bilingual and we have all seen how well the French and English get along.
We don't need that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 01:19 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I do not mean this to be racist. Hispanics are a great culture of hardworking people. I do not have an issue with their immigration to the US. They have brought new diversity and skills to the US.

My pet peeve is speaking English. English is the language of North America.

It has gotten to the point that virtually every set of instructions that come with anything you buy are in English and Spanish. Every time you call a telephone number you have a choice to press something for English or Spanish. I swear, I items for sale in Walmart and the box does not have one word of English on it, its all in Spanish.

I understand accommodation. However, I do believe immigrants to the US should learn English but the level of accommodation has gotten to the point that Hispanics do not have to learn English. Virtually everything is in Spanish. Sometimes to the point English speaking people are having to learn Spanish.

The whole Hispanic speaking accommodation is now a steam roller because businesses want to sell products so they target their audience.

It appears we are going to become a bi-lingual country.
U.S. Hispanics currently have $1.7 trillion in purchasing power and Hispanics account for almost half of U.S. population growth ... the face of America is changing and marketing is trying to keep up.

I crossed paths with a middle eastern once, who said he had been in this country for about 30 years (at the time we met) and said that he gave himself 6 months to learn English. It was his priority, because he thought if he could not learn the language, there was no point in pursuing citizenship.

Apparently not every one believes this to be a priority; even those that are born and raised here.

Came across another person, Philip, he was a co-worker and a graduate of UCLA, history major. He refused to speak in Spanish, even to his family members and his mother labeled him the black sheep of the family.

So yes, we are being accommodating in an area that we needn't be ... tell that to marketing and manufacturing companies as they have yet to catch up to the basic needs of their target market. However, they don't want to miss a sale, so, there ya go.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:20 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Everybody prefers to speak in their native language. You go to Mexico, you learn a little Spanish. But you still speak English with your wife and kids. And when you meet a couple from Iowa, you don't speak to them in your subpar Spanish.

And what is the "Spanish speaking problem" anyway? How does it affect your life negatively? The kids of immigrants speak English, always, even in these enclaves of which you speak. Often, their parents address them in Spanish, and the kids answer in English. The kids want to learn the prevalent language, as kids want to fit in everywhere with sneakers and cellphones and such. I don't see the problem. Lack of health insurance, higher taxes, Asian carp in the Mississippi river, and air pollution are problems. People speaking Spanish on the street when I pass them, or a "Panaderia" sign outside a business are not problems.

When you move to another country (not visit) it's important that you adopt their language out of respect to the natives and speak it in public. I don't know of anyone who enjoys listening to a bunch of loud babble in public which makes you feel like you are living in a foreign country. It's a non-assimilating, arrogant attitude IMO if they also know how to speak English. I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home.

I was in a department store a few days ago and two women and a child were all speaking Spanish to each other. It went on for awhile and I was curious if they just didn't know how to speak English so I asked them in Spanish. They said yes they both did and they answered me very fluently and in full sentences. I just walked away puzzled.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:24 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
When you move to another country (not visit) it's important that you adopt their language out of respect to the natives and speak it in public. I don't know of anyone who enjoys listening to a bunch of loud babble in public which makes you feel like you are living in a foreign country. It's a non-assimilating, arrogant attitude IMO if they also know how to speak English. I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home.

I was in a department store a few days ago and two women and a child were all speaking Spanish to each other. It went on for awhile and I was curious if they just didn't know how to speak English so I asked them in Spanish. They said yes they both did and they answered me very fluently and in full sentences. I just walked away puzzled.
See there's nothing wrong with that. Especially if your in a big city. People have the right to converse with one another in any language they want.

Hell, you can speak Klingon in a public setting and you have every right to.

That's the beauty of being bilingual.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
How well do you speak a second language?

If he's a native born U.S. citizen why would he need to learn a second language? Are you suggesting that we should learn a dozen immigrant languages to accommodate them? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Now if I moved to another country I certainly would learn the language of that country and speak it out in public there.

Last edited by Oldglory; 09-21-2018 at 01:48 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 01:29 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:

Unless they are talking to you why should you care what language they are speaking?

Old 09-21-2018, 01:30 PM

988 posts, read 682,200 times
Quote:

And I'm puzzled why you would feel the need to listen to strangers' conversation in a department store.

Now two of us are puzzled. That's not good. I'd rather one of us weren't puzzled, at least.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:32 PM

988 posts, read 682,200 times
Quote:
If he's a native born U.S. citizen why would he need to learn a second language? Are you suggesting that we should learn a dozen immigrant languages to accommodate them? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Now if I moved to another I certainly would learn the language of that country and speak it out in public there.
Well, we keep hearing some version of, "It's not that hard to learn another language."

I suspect many people who say that haven't learned a second language themselves.

Here's something else that's easy. A .350 batting average in the major leagues. How do I know? It looks easy.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
As with any immigrant populations, they'd have their own enclaves. The folks born here right after the immigration will know both languages, the older folks, namely the elders will have a harder time so it's a place where they can mingle with others because they can relate.

But as generations pass, things change.
d.

I assume your parents came here legally? Have they made the effort to learn English now? Just curious. Nothing will change with continued illegal immigration from south of our border. We will have an endless supply of new Spanish speakers.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Yes, Hispanics are acting as unassimilating colonizers and invaders and liberals are treating them all as US citizens or better. It's suppose to be against the law to aid and abet someone breaking the law.

Everywhere I turn I see or hear a creepy looking Hispanic person, where just recently none were before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies