Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 04:09 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Should I put on a blind fold too, to go with the gag in my mouth liberals placed? That's the only way I won't see, hear or speaking of illegals and immigrants? And the way liberals want us blind, deaf and mute to the dystopia they're creating.
Probably just focus on other things in life. Learn an instrument, travel(You probably need that), draw, take up photography, have a beer, grow a beard and shave it off etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 04:12 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Before they became "hispanic" minorities in the 80s, they were always white - especially in Texas and the South West.

That article ignores that or pretends to be unaware.
I remember them as "Mexicans" in 1980s Texas and not all that numerous.

Today up north, most all the Hispanics I see recently popping up are very mestizos and very brown and I can't imagine anyone here thinks they fall under white.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:12 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
I rather agree, and I don't think it's racist. I think your attitude would be the same if we had a big influx of Germans and suddenly everything was also written up in German.

A basically agree that it's disturbing. But, added to that, in the long run, I feel that it harms Hispanics, because they have less incentive to integrate and assimilate.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:15 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Before they became "hispanic" minorities in the 80s, they were always white - especially in Texas and the South West.

That article ignores that or pretends to be unaware.
It's an opinion piece utilizing released data.

Millions of Americans changed their racial or ethnic identity from one census to the next

People are dropping the hyphens too, identifying as American. It'd be nice if the media would catch up, as well as, those in politics.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Probably just focus on other things in life. Learn an instrument, travel(You probably need that), draw, take up photography, have a beer, grow a beard and shave it off etc.
While constantly surrounding by the sights and sounds of foreigners.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:17 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
While constantly surrounding by the sights and sounds of foreigners.
Then that's a personal issue you have and should probably seek help for letting something so minuscule bothering you..

Old 09-21-2018, 04:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I rather agree, and I don't think it's racist. I think your attitude would be the same if we had a big influx of Germans and suddenly everything was also written up in German.

A basically agree that it's disturbing. But, added to that, in the long run, I feel that it harms Hispanics, because they have less incentive to integrate and assimilate.
I was born and raised in the South. If I moved up North to live, I would not give up my Southern Heritage. I'd still be cooking black eyed peas, serving sweet tea to drink ... and that southern draw is coming with.

And no, that's not any different than what you are asking any one who passes miss lady liberty to live in the u.s. If the value that has been given to miss liberty by America can not pass the test of time, something needs to be done with her. If they can not come as they are, what is the point of giving out the invite? btw: i'm full blood German, so they tell me.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I was born and raised in the South. If I moved up North to live..... and that southern draw is coming with.
What's a "southern draw"?

Old 09-21-2018, 04:34 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default Implications of World trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Translation services are incredibly expensive.
Here's a tally of just the outsourced expenses (the inhouse expenses likely dwarf this)...and its from 2011.
https://www.commonsenseadvisory.com/...Aid=1076&PR=PR
4.5B just in expenses to the FEDERAL government.

So this could be a 20B/year problem nationally. In any case...a huge and unnecessary cost imposed on us by the importation of people Americans never asked for.
Meaning the US, right? We didn't directly ask for people to immigrate to the US, true enough. But when we export lots of grain, meat, manufactured goods, we displace a number of workers who can't compete with industrialized farming, nor our scale of manufacturing. We also import lots of raw materials, oil, rare earths, & so on.

When our economic activity disrupts or replaces existing economic flows, workers are displaced. They may travel to their cities to look for work, & if they're within reasonable reach of the US, they may decide to come to the source. We're (the US) not the sole source of work & capital in the World anymore (certainly not like in the immediate post-WWII period) - but old habits die hard.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
lol, so you think those two women were conversing in Spanish just so I wouldn't listen in? They were already speaking Spanish when I entered the same area. I couldn't care less the gist of their conversation anyway but listening to foreign babble for 20 minutes was irritating when I was trying to focus on what I was buying.

I still don't see the beauty of switching languages on the fly. For what purpose?

No, why would native Spanish speakers automatically speak to one another in Spanish when they were out in public and were fluent in English? Does comfort include rudeness?

How is a private conversation rude? I don't understand that. I sincerely don't.

And as far as why they would speak Spanish if they were native Spanish speakers...I mean, do you really not get that? Do you speak another language? It takes a lot of time and study to approach the fluency of a native language, and if I were speaking to another person who shared that native language, it would be natural.

Quote:
People from other cultures admit they want to turn America multicultural, throw out the melting pot, and deny America every had a predominate culture that they're helping to erase. What more proof does anyone need?

I'm kind of all for that. I fail to see that as a problem. Sharing art, music, language, food--it's a powerful thing. I like that we can see glimpses of other places & cultures in our everyday lives. And a lot of other people see the strength and beauty in that, too.

Quote:
Should I put on a blind fold too, to go with the gag in my mouth liberals placed? That's the only way I won't see, hear or speaking of illegals and immigrants? And the way liberals want us blind, deaf and mute to the dystopia they're creating.

No, you should grow up and realize the world doesn't revolve around what you want, maybe. If there is a concerted negative impact on where you live due to policies and how things are run, get involved. Vote. Canvass for a politician who you agree with. But expect opposition. Because you represent an untenable ideology, one that will be vigorously opposed. That's the beauty of this country, though. Keep fighting for what you believe in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

Have you ever visited an area with a large German population? You will hear & see German. What is wrong with it? I live somewhere where there is a large Finnish population, and I hear & see Finnish. We even had a Finnish language tv show until very recently. How is that offensive? How does it bother people? I mean, if someone was trying to tell me to do something in Finnish, I wouldn't know what to do, but that has literally never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies