Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 11:41 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's just why I want to conserve the US population as the world minority that it is and not be diluted and overpopulated by global mass immigration..
Well, OK. I fail to see how that relates to multi-language packaging though. Which is what I was responding to, because at least some folks here are complaining that multi-language packaging is being done for the benefit of non-english-speaking immigrants and is a sign of dilution and encroachment of our national culture. It isn't. In fact, multi-language packaging on say, a GE range, is a sign that american/western culture is encroaching on other countries.

Wasn't that long ago that France was trying to ban creeping americanisms from written French. I believe they've given that up as futile.

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-22-2018 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 11:08 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Well, They certainly thought they were white:

And to think we have people today asking "why are hispanics identifying as white?", as if that were something new. That is how they traditionally identified before they became "hispanics".
I have a DIL who was born in PR, and her grandparents immigrated from Spain. You can’t get more Hispanic than being from Spain, but she’s lighter skinned that I, and I’m swedish.

Anyway, I don’t understand why anyone needs to identify as anything. What’s the purpose?

Old 09-22-2018, 11:21 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
As a black guy born and raised in San Antonio, Texas I have a unique insight to both minority groups.

America is most certainly going overboard to accommodate people of color. Especially when the success of Asian Americans has already proven people of color have more than enough resources and blueprint to make it in this world.

It’s simply a matter of black and Hispanic Americans looking at Asian Americans, and doing the exact same thing they’re doing. Working hard, pursuing education, studying marketable degrees, self-reliance and self-discipline, parental involment, and abiding by all laws.

The greatest trick liberals have ever pulled was convincing people of color they need government help to climb up the social ladder. Knowing damn well the government can’t get a bachelors or masters degree for you.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:30 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
1. Hispanics come from a myriad of cultures, not just one.
2. English is not the language of North America. Learn about Canada please.
3. It is a good thing to be bilingual.
4. Perhaps Hispanics in some areas are overly catered to in comparison to others learning English but ultimately that works to your disadvantage in the U.S. In time, those who need to learn English will do so or remain at a lower level in society.
5. Again, it is good thing to be bilingual.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:35 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As a black guy born and raised in San Antonio, Texas I have a unique insight to both minority groups.

America is most certainly going overboard to accommodate people of color. Especially when the success of Asian Americans has already proven people of color have more than enough resources and blueprint to make it in this world.

It’s simply a matter of black and Hispanic Americans looking at Asian Americans, and doing the exact same thing they’re doing. Working hard, pursuing education, studying marketable degrees, self-reliance and self-discipline, parental involment, and abiding by all laws.

The greatest trick liberals have ever pulled was convincing people of color they need government help to climb up the social ladder. Knowing damn well the government can’t get a bachelors or masters degree for you.
I don't think they can at the same rate as Asian Americans even if they wanted to and tried and are being boosted by affirmative action. And if they intellectual can but don't then that still impugns their character traits, decision making and judgement.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

This is about Hispanics, not people of color in general.

There are more than enough successful people of African origin and Hispanic background to model after. There is no need to look at Asians and not all Asian groups are successful.

The U.S. has also done far too much to cater to whites over its history. Yet rather than take the actions above, many of them depend on the government while criticizing non-whites who do.

At the end of the day, there are simpy a good number of lazy individuals in the U.S. that need to get their acts together.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:40 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
I am cracking up that someone would be so sheltered to even notice people speaking in a language other than English, much less be upset by it.

I’m guessing you don’t travel much?

Old 09-22-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
1. Hispanics come from a myriad of cultures, not just one.
2. English is not the language of North America. Learn about Canada please.
3. It is a good thing to be bilingual.
4. Perhaps Hispanics in some areas are overly catered to in comparison to others learning English but ultimately that works to your disadvantage in the U.S. In time, those who need to learn English will do so or remain at a lower level in society.
5. Again, it is good thing to be bilingual.
1. They're primarily coming from latin America and still foreign.
2. English is spoken in most of Canada but we're talking about America here.
3. No
4. So that's an argument against catering to Spanish and Hispanics.
5. Saying the same totally wrong thing twice doesn't make it right.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I am cracking up that someone would be so sheltered to even notice people speaking in a language other than English, much less be upset by it.

I’m guessing you don’t travel much?
Many people in their home countries are surrounded by natives speaking the native language. When you travel to a foreign country you expect to experience foreign things like language.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
1. They're primarily coming from latin America and still foreign.
2. English is spoken in most of Canada but we're talking about America here.
3. No
4. So that's an argument against catering to Spanish and Hispanics.
5. Saying the same totally wrong thing twice doesn't make it right.
1. That has nothing to do with my statement, which was that Hispanics come from a myriad of cultures.
2. The OP said North America and what you are trying to say is the United States of America.
3. And?
4. And again, it is a good thing to be bilingual. It’s only wrong to those who dislike putting effort into learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies