Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 11:01 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,226,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
When I was growing up sixty years ago, I needed two years of a foreign language to get into a California college/university. And some years later, I needed two years of a foreign language to graduate from an Oregon college/university. I guess it’s true that both high school and college have really been dumbed down.
Growing up 60 years ago meaning that you are in your late 70's?

Today? Many (every single college my college-aged kid applied to, at least) colleges want their applicants to have three years of a FL taken in HS - consecutive years & of the same FL.

Also, today, some colleges require two semesters of a FL to fulfill graduation requirements.

Other colleges don't require a FL based on a student's major.

For an example: My friend's son is a neuroscience major at Fordham. No FL req.

My son's girlfriend is a neuroscience major at a small liberal arts private college in NEPA. Two semesters of a FL req.

My father graduated from RU (undergrad) in the mid 60's (journalism major) . No FL requirement. Went to RIT for his post-grad (journalism/graphic arts), never took a FL. Was recruited by the secret service while at RIT. No FL required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 11:07 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,834,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It’s a response to your assertion that no American should be learning a foreign language.
Well no American should have to learn a foreign language to communicate with people living in America and to be employed. I stand by what I meant and not your strawman version.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:25 PM

15,068 posts, read 6,137,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Well like I said the only people in America who need to learn a new language is those who don't speak English. English speaking Americans don't have to do anything language wise.
That’s the attitude of those who lack ambition. Similar to the other poster, I needed 3 years of a foreign language to graduate high school and at least 2 years in university.

With attitudes like yours, it is no wonder U.S. students are not as competitive globally.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That’s the attitude of those who lack ambition. Similar to the other poster, I needed 3 years of a foreign language to graduate high school and at least 2 years in university.

With attitudes like yours, it is no wonder U.S. students are not as competitive globally.
What a strawman that got created. How is taking a foreign language in school related to the matter at hand? If you don't take Spanish you still won't be able to communicate with most of the non-English speakers in America. And why don't the Hispanics and foreigners learn English, since you're so big on everyone learning a foreign language? English is a language most learning a 2nd language would want to learn. Why is the burden and responsibility of foreigners always placed on Americans? Why don't latin Americans learn English in school since so many of them plan to come here? They aren't very literate in Spanish even.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
What a strawman that got created. How is taking a foreign language in school related to the matter at hand? If you don't take Spanish you still won't be able to communicate with most of the non-English speakers in America. And why don't the Hispanics and foreigners learn English, since you're so big on everyone learning a foreign language? English is a language most learning a 2nd language would want to learn. Why is the burden and responsibility of foreigners always placed on Americans? Why don't latin Americans learn English in school since so many of them plan to come here? They aren't very literate in Spanish even.
1. Taking a foreign language in school is directly related to your comment that Americans do not need to learn a foreign language. It is usually a requirement in school and makes one more competitive globally.

2. Taking a foreign language enables you to communicate with more people than speaking one language. It often makes you more competitive in the job market. One does not have to learn Spanish. Knowing Mandarin or Arabic is extremely useful in our time.

3. Who said Hispanics and other foreigners should not learn English? First and foremost, there are plenty foreigners already know English. Both of my parents knew English as a first language and spoke it better than plenty Americans. My father was trilingual when he came to the U.S. and my mother had second language skills as well. My comments to you are the same for any person who has an aversion to learning a foreign language.

4. Since when is the burden and responsibility of foreigners always placed on Americans? Please. Stop playing the victim. You are not.

5. As stated before, being bilingual is useful. It does not matter whether you are from the U.S., Mexico, Peru etc. My statements apply to ALL.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
1. Taking a foreign language in school is directly related to your comment that Americans do not need to learn a foreign language. It is requirement in school and makes one more competitive globally.

2. Taking a foreign language enables you to speak to more people than speaking one language. It often makes you more competitive in the job market. One does not have to learn Spanish. Knowing Mandarin or Arabic is extremely useful in our time.

3. Who said Hispanics and other foreigners should not learn English? First and foremost, there are plenty foreigners already know English. Both of my parents knew English as a first language and spoke it better than most Americans. My father was trilingual when he came to the U.S. and my mother had second language skills as well. My comments to you are the same for any person who has an aversion to learning a foreign language.

4. Since when is the burden and responsibility of foreigners always placed on Americans? Please. Stop playing the victim. You are not.

5. As stated before, being bilingual is useful. It does matter whether you are from the U.S., Mexico, Peru etc. My statements apply to ALL.
Keep going with a strawman argument. Many probably most of the Hispanics coming and living in America don't/can't speak English and we are forced to accommodate them. I see them around my town all the time yammering away in Spanish.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Keep going with a strawman argument. Many probably most of the Hispanics coming and living in America don't/can't speak English and we are forced to accommodate them. I see them around my town all the time yammering away in Spanish.
So basically you are unable to address my comments and prefer to maintain a lazy attitude.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
So basically you are unable to address my comments and prefer to maintain a lazy attitude.
I addressed your strawman argument. Scroll up.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,460,035 times
Quote:
I addressed your strawman argument. Scroll up.
How's your Strawmanese?

Old 09-23-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
How's your Strawmanese?
Well I got to go back to school to learn Spanish and I think Somali(? ) to communicate in America, I can't fit Strawmanese in .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies