Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 11:35 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NYC, went to college in Boston at a university with a large international student population, have lived in Europe, and currently reside in a very diverse city. Yes, I've heard how "some foreigners" speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:36 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default Where's the beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Have you heard the way some foreigners speak, the cadence, dialect and volume? it's worse than a listening to a barking dog. I could probably tolerate or even respect if not admire it if I were in say Mexico. But the fact it just shows up everywhere uninvited and likely unauthorized in my neighborhood changes everything.
That would only apply if you live in a gated community, or something similar. Or are you referring to something else?

Old 09-24-2018, 11:37 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Personally, I don't understand the resistance in learning English. My grandparents were so proud to be here, so proud to be Americans they couldn't wait to learn to speak, read, and write the language of their new home. The only time they spoke Italian at home was when they didn't want us (their grandchildren) to understand what they were talking about, which was rare.
It’s a different era. My grandparents were Polish, and they and many other Polish learned English and assimilated. However, those were different times.

I honestly don’t have a problem as long as it is truly bilingual. Like the incident in Florida where the English speaking customer could not order off of a menu in English, is pretty ridiculous, because the speaker claimed to not understand English (although apparently she really did). Incidents like that are ridiculous. It should be fair both ways.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:38 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
I used to lived in the North End of Boston (it's Little Italy) and had many, many elderly neighbors who only spoke Italian, not English.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:40 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I still laugh at the idea that hearing a language other than English is "annoying" and anything other than English sounds like "babbling". Everyday life must be very hard for some people.....
I still laugh at the idea that people of color need the white mans help to advance in society. The anxiety some white folks must have in this country until every Hispanic or Black has a mansion, BMW, and 4 kids in private school must be very hard to deal with. All the while Asian Americans are currently enjoying the highest standards of living and suing Harvard as TOO MANY qualified Asians are being turned down.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:46 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
That's interesting. Where does that median IQ come from? Do you have a source for that?
From various studies. Best estimate yet of Hispanic-American IQ, by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review

Old 09-24-2018, 11:47 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
If you are making unpleasant and incoherent racket and clamor in public, and you probably shouldn't even be here to begin with, then it does involve me. What I have to see or hear in my country in my neighborhood is my concern.
It's none of your business what language people speak out in public. Maybe they're talking about how unpleasant you are.

You don't like your neighborhood? Move. They're not going anywhere and if they're here legally, they don't have to.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:47 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
That would only apply if you live in a gated community, or something similar. Or are you referring to something else?
If you are not a citizen then you have to have a valid visa to be in America.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:48 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Have you heard the way some foreigners speak, the cadence, dialect and volume? it's worse than a listening to a barking dog. I could probably tolerate or even respect if not admire it if I were in say Mexico. But the fact it just shows up everywhere uninvited and likely unauthorized in my neighborhood changes everything.
Unauthorized????!!!! You live in a VERY strange neighborhood. I’ve lived in a lot of places, and never once had to apply for a license from the language police.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It’s a different era. My grandparents were Polish, and they and many other Polish learned English and assimilated. However, those were different times.

I honestly don’t have a problem as long as it is truly bilingual. Like the incident in Florida where the English speaking customer could not order off of a menu in English, is pretty ridiculous, because the speaker claimed to not understand English (although apparently she really did). Incidents like that are ridiculous. It should be fair both ways.
It's not a question of fairness. You're talking about a woman who lied because she decided she didn't want to serve the customer and she was fired for it.

To me, it's stupid to move to a country and then not learn the language. Not every cop or firefighter or EMT worker is going to speak Spanish. It puts people at a great disadvantage in those encounters alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies