Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:50 PM

25,792 posts, read 16,434,167 times

Advertisements

Their goal is to destroy everything those old white men built which is the greatest country and technology this world has ever seen. I have no idea why.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:00 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,614,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
As an old white guy myself, all I can contribute is my personal experience.

I live in a city where I'm a minority.

I taught HS for decades in schools where minority teens were the majority of students.

And the heck of it is, I've never felt this so-called "hatred towards old white men."

Maybe it's cuz I'm just a lovable ol' cuss.

Can't help myself.

when they say "old white men" they really mean "racist old conservatives with a chip on the shoulder".

Old 09-21-2018, 01:12 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,109,418 times
Come, come now: haven't you heard of people jamming on Old White People Really? And yes, the sources you mention do have a "kinder" view.

...it's the other sources that are really, really annoying.

I think I am an Old White Guy, or a Middle Aged White Guy®, one of the upper middle class types the new fringers/crazies love to jam on. I don't feel oppressed, but get annoyed as did OP. I am gravely concerned how far in the Nut-Zone the Democratic Party is now running, seems to me. And we are a favorite target.

Yes, there are many...many...who want people like me "toppled" using truly convoluted logic, since I'm somehow "keeping them down." Dunno about you, but I'm in a high performance business that will not tolerate slipping. Not for a second. It's a bit age discriminatory, end of the day, but I simply move myself into roles that require wisdom and slyness vs. absolute sharpness about some dorky application that will be old news in five years. Principles of leadership, enterprise program and people management do not change all that completely, all that often.

They fire minorities and women at an equal rate to Old White Guys who don't perform, btw. Equal opportunity, they.

As for making money, is that an Old White Guy conspiracy, too? What, learn some appropriate skills, via a top school or otherwise, show up to work, provide a lot more value that you cost, won't you be successful?

Or is that 'racist' LOL

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-21-2018 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 09-21-2018, 01:18 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,444,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
when they say "old white men" they really mean "racist old conservatives with a chip on the shoulder".
Oh, well.

In THAT case...

(with apologies to Gilda Radner, Emily Litella and SNL of the 70s.)

Old 09-21-2018, 01:34 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,389,344 times
LOL I too am a bit puzzled by the use of it in this case. If Anita Hill were the one making the allegations today, then it would be a reasonable strategy to invoke sympathy from other minorities. But Dr. Ford is just as White as these old men are, so I don’t really understand the relevance.

I honestly think people have been listening to critics of the handling of Anita Hill’s case, and just repeat those criticisms with no regard to context.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 09-21-2018 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 01:43 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,413,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I have been hearing this filth out of the mouths of people like Joy Behar and various other "progressives" for a while now, and I am wondering, when did such filth become acceptable rhetoric in this country?

My father was an "old white man" and he was the most decent, hard-working, genuinely good-hearted human being I have ever known. So liberals have taken what was the most wholesome and decent example of a human I have ever known, and poisoned it.

How the **** is this filth tolerated today? How in the world could anyone let a vile creature like Joy Behar and like-minded creatures spew their HATE without challenge?
I am an old white man. My father was an old white man, as was his father before him.

I don't take offense, because I know a quite a few that are total A-holes and a few bad apples can ruin it for everyone. Let me tell you, this is not 'the greatest generation' like the guys who lived through the Great Depression and carried us through WWII. People today are spoiled and more selfish, judgmental and unforgiving these days. Older folks today generally grew up in good times, were pampered and feel privileged. We have lost our idealism.

I get pretty crotchety at times myself, and I am not afraid to speak my mind, so there is that ...

Old 09-21-2018, 01:46 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,219,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
My father donated to food shelves, worked in homeless shelters, was a dedicated employee at his job for 35 years, never broke a single law, and "progressives" actually have poisoned him, his image. It turns my stomach and honestly, while I never had hate in my heart, every time I hear one of these cretins say that term ("old white man") it genuinely makes me have hate in my heart for them.
I’m afraid there are precious few politicians who fit this image.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:51 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,590,407 times
Wait a minute.. lol.

This isn’t how it works.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:30 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,127,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I understand....

but there have been years and years of older white male domination in our society. She's wrong of course to lump everyone together but I do agree to some extent to her comments.

This need not tarnish your father's image. You know the truth...
This. Just this. And saying "not ALL old white men" distracts from the point. I know Joy Behar (or whoever) isn't talking about my father.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,394,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I am an old white man. My father was an old white man, as was his father before him.

I don't take offense, because I know a quite a few that are total A-holes and a few bad apples can ruin it for everyone. Let me tell you, this is not 'the greatest generation' like the guys who lived through the Great Depression and carried us through WWII. People today are spoiled and more selfish, judgmental and unforgiving these days. Older folks today generally grew up in good times, were pampered and feel privileged. We have lost our idealism.

I get pretty crotchety at times myself, and I am not afraid to speak my mind, so there is that ...
Your opinion is logical yet neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies