Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

You can’t make this stuff up. Granted, this guy is purported to be a tool, but at 27 years old, he’s in the social media generation. Cops are supposed to be smarter than this, right? He’s calling his constituents “zoo animals,” but his own screw up reveals that REAL zoo animals are smarter than he is.

Sigh...I realize that the genie is out of the bottle on social media, and one can only dream of prelapsarian times before folks felt the need to tell you EVERYTHING they think on social media, but geez, keep SOME of your thoughts to yourself.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/im-...nsive-caption/

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 09-24-2018 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:29 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Well, Charlie Rangel does belong behind bars, but he hasn’t been sighted in Detroit.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:37 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Okay, let me just say that making a comment like that, on social media, is completely inappropriate. However, I do have to wonder just how this is being spun. I haven't read the story, but my guess is this is being portrayed as a racist comment. And look, I can totally see where that would come from and why that would be most people's conclusion. However, I would also point out that "zoo animals" could absolutely apply to anyone. I remember playing to loudly in my room with friends as a child and having my mom come in and tell us to stop acting like a bunch of animals. Of course, my mom wasn't making a derogatory comment, she was simply calling us "animals" because we were going pretty wild in my room. And that could have been exactly what this officer meant when he made his comment. I'm only pointing this out because even though I haven't read the story, I'm pretty sure this is being made a racial issue, and I feel that may not be the case here. I mean, either way, it's a dumb thing to say or post to social media, but I'm also saying that "zoo animals" does not have to be an inherently racist comment. My guess would be he was referring to all the wild and crazy people he was going to be dealing with during his shift, rather than making a racist comment. Just my take on it. Of course, I could be wrong, but I do think he deserves the benefit of the doubt in that respect.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Okay, let me just say that making a comment like that, on social media, is completely inappropriate. However, I do have to wonder just how this is being spun. I haven't read the story, but my guess is this is being portrayed as a racist comment. And look, I can totally see where that would come from and why that would be most people's conclusion. However, I would also point out that "zoo animals" could absolutely apply to anyone. I remember playing to loudly in my room with friends as a child and having my mom come in and tell us to stop acting like a bunch of animals. Of course, my mom wasn't making a derogatory comment, she was simply calling us "animals" because we were going pretty wild in my room. And that could have been exactly what this officer meant when he made his comment. I'm only pointing this out because even though I haven't read the story, I'm pretty sure this is being made a racial issue, and I feel that may not be the case here. I mean, either way, it's a dumb thing to say or post to social media, but I'm also saying that "zoo animals" does not have to be an inherently racist comment. My guess would be he was referring to all the wild and crazy people he was going to be dealing with during his shift, rather than making a racist comment. Just my take on it. Of course, I could be wrong, but I do think he deserves the benefit of the doubt in that respect.
The piece paints a picture of the guy as Barney Fife anyway. Probably did him a favor.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:44 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Social media is a great tool for outing tools.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Social media is a great tool for outing tools.
Apparently.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
He was a cop in Detroit, not some white suburb.

These dopes who are supposed to be impartial need to zip it. If I headed up a department I'd tell them if they want to increase the odds of keeping their jobs, they should stop posting on social media. Cops aren't the most popular group and there are people watching everything they do online....just waiting for them to blow it.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:56 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
they probably are a lot like zoo animals... or worse

Old 09-24-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
they probably are a lot like zoo animals... or worse
Judging by where you come from, I defer to you as the expert.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Where's Harambre & Bonzo, when you need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies