Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:50 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

I know it's all Kavanaugh all of the time, however...

Jobless claims fall to the lowest in nearly 49 years

The number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, hitting near a 49-year low in a sign the job market remains strong.

Initial claims for state unemployment benefits fell by 3,000 to a seasonally adjusted level of 201,000 for the week ended Sept. 15, the Labor Department said on Thursday. That is the lowest level since November 1969.

The labor market is viewed as being near or at full employment. It continues to strengthen, with nonfarm payrolls increasing by 201,000 jobs in August and annual wage growth notching its biggest gain in more than nine years. Job openings hit an all-time high of 6.9 million in July.

This is what Trump and the Congressional Republicans have helped the private sector achieve. Tax cuts, reduction in regulations, trade issues... all are helping us create jobs for others and increasing wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 01:14 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Fake unemployment numbers. As Trump told us, the real number is closer to 30%. Perhaps 40% unemployed.

I also love how corporate mainstream media never talks about real median wage growth (wage growth for the typical worker in the middle adjusted for inflation). Instead they pull the wool over people's eyes by not excluding inflation while at the same time including Wall Street compensation packages as part of the "strong wages" for the American people.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Fake unemployment numbers. As Trump told us, the real number is closer to 30%. Perhaps 40% unemployed.

I also love how corporate mainstream media never talks about real median wage growth (wage growth for the typical worker in the middle adjusted for inflation). Instead they pull the wool over people's eyes by not excluding inflation while at the same time including Wall Street compensation packages as part of the "strong wages" for the American people.
I am not crazy about how they do the numbers either... but it's always how they have done the numbers.

If you haven't done it, I will dig into the numbers at some point.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:36 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Please refrain from mentioning any improvement in anything over the last two years. Doing so makes you responsible for any TDS seizures that may, and likely will, occur. You could be held liable for any institutionalization, medication, or cost related to straitjackets and padded walls.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Let's be a little more specific and accurate.

I suggest we consider the very people who swung toward Trump and for whom he promised the world....winning everything. The so-called Forgotten man and Woman. Am I right?

OK, jobless claims have nothing to do with them. They have been low...almost full employment (except for those who aren't looking, etc.) for a number of years. The person working two or three jobs for 10-12 dollars an hour frankly could care less whether a figure is 3.75% or 3.95% or 4.1%.

We've already been through the stock market thing over and over. the top 14% own 86% of stocks. So the Forgotten Man and Woman is NOT caring about the Obama stock market rising or the Trump stock market.

Here is what they care about:

1. Wage Growth as compared to basic COL inflation - has gone nowhere for DECADES:
For most Americans, real wages have barely budged for decades | Pew Research Center
It's even worse for the forgotten man and woman....look at the chart! Even the median wages have risen very slowly.
Cost of Living is outpacing wage growth - all together. Even worse for those at the middle and below:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.4a9544796d7c

"Cost of living was up 2.9 percent from July 2017 to July 2018, the Labor Department reported Friday, an inflation rate that outstripped a 2.7 percent increase in wages over the same period"

So, the "win" here is .2% LESS that the middle class and below can buy with their wages.

2. Cost of Debt - Interest Rates - well, this is one that can't be disputed. The Fed raised rates again today and said they would do so 4X more in the next year. This will put the middle class and below, who survive ONLY through debt, in an even worse position......

3. Health Care - I won't even detail this, but we all know Trump is throwing people off the rolls of the insured.

Please - without talking about TDS or throwing out BS terms, explain how this translates to a much better life for the middle class and below????

Last edited by craigiri; 09-26-2018 at 03:24 PM..

Old 09-26-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Please refrain from mentioning any improvement in anything over the last two years. Doing so makes you responsible for any TDS seizures that may, and likely will, occur. You could be held liable for any institutionalization, medication, or cost related to straitjackets and padded walls.
Yeah - I better watch it. If I am ever up for the Supreme Court, this may come back to haunt me.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:08 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
It's hard to be optimistic with a corporate debt bubble looming over everything. That's why I'm worried right now.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:43 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Things were looking peachy in 2003, too.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:46 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
But, none of that matters because I heard Trump doesn't like women and might even but blacks in chains.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:00 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
and crayons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies