Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 12:18 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
ANd only people who can vote yes or no on this bill are only those who have ever been raped..
Sure, that works. At the same time, nobody who won't themselves personally be subject to a tax can ever vote on anything to do with that tax.

You're cool with that, I'm sure. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
There does, definitely, need to be some sort of limit but 48 hours is idiotic. What about people who are in captivity, being directly watched or, otherwise in fear of their life?

One real issue is when an accuser never goes to the police but to a senator?

24,485 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Sexual assault and its ramifications are unique to the victim and we can't have a law that dictates a time frame for when one needs to report.

Of course there are times when DNA evidence has to be collected ASAP but for some victims they can't overcome their fear and confusion to think properly.

I can only imagine the question the OP is inquiring about is in response to the Ford/ Kavanaugh hearing.

It does seem ridiculous that Ford as accomplished as she is in academia and her life can also be the splintered fractured and frail woman that she is portraying herself as at the hearing.

We have no choice but to believe her but there is doubt there.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
What's arbitrary about 48 hours?

Do you have a proposal for a non-arbitrary reporting period that serves the interests of justice discussed in my original post?
All of these numbers are arbitrary and based on absolutely NOTHING but anger that a man might be facing consequences for his actions.

What scientific evidence do you have that your proposal makes more sense than one more day or one less hour?

Yeah, my proposal is that they have 2 weeks, 3 days, 5 hours, and 2 seconds to report it. And my proposal is at least just as scientific as yours.

Get the hell outta here. LMAO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think 90 days is good.
Based on what? What analysis did you use to come up with that number?

Why is 90 days better than 190 days or 90 seconds?

Old 09-27-2018, 12:21 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Sure, that works. At the same time, nobody who won't themselves personally be subject to a tax can ever vote on anything to do with that tax.

You're cool with that, I'm sure. LOL.
No im just poking fun at your out of touch proposal. As if youve ever known what its like for someone to be at the receiving end of that type of crime. No idea how someone is mentally affected and why theyre scared to come forward.

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
I didn't suggest it would also be a statute of limitations. Just that there is a reporting requirement. Obviously there would need to be a public awareness campaign of the requirement so that nobody can use the excuse that they didn't know.

To respond to your concern, the laws for the gun reporting is written in a way that provides for "reasonable knowledge of the theft".

Your scenario seems unlikely. It would also prevent people from using false accusations as leverage in long-standing unrelated domestic squabbles.

Exactly!!! You suggested a reporting requirement of two days. So if the assaulter can stall the female from reporting it for two days, then he is free! Because after two days the allegations have no legal consequences.

Do you not understand what you are proposing?

"Reasonable knowledge of the theft" has very little application when it comes to what you are proposing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Instead of taking action at the time we push it off onto society later when we are ill equipped to do anything with it. It benefits women to speak out sooner rather than later.

We aren't just talking 'rape' here either, touching, groping, an unwanted advance...all these things fall under 'sexual assault' now and things needs to change. If the 'sexual assault' doesn't warrant legal action at the time then I don't want to hear about it later with anyone crying about how it ruined their life. To me that signals mental instability.

I will never "just believe" anyone, I'm not stupid or susceptible to social brainwashing. It's fine to be supportive and sympathetic while seeking the truth, but if that's all you think an accusation = evidence you are wrong.
Funny how Neil Gorsuch faced no such accusations.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:22 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
...and all bank robberies must be reported within 1 week or they didn't happen.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:22 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Make it a few weeks or months and it seems like an entirely reasonable law to me.

48 hours is far too short, IMO.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
...and all bank robberies must be reported within 1 week or they didn't happen.
Bank robberies don’t count. We only wanna put stipulations on crimes that could hinder Trump nominees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies