Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the affiliation on your voter ID card?
Republican 17 21.52%
Democrat 12 15.19%
Unaffiliated 23 29.11%
Libertarian 1 1.27%
Other/Independent 26 32.91%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 12:25 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,098,155 times

Advertisements

In all my years as a registered voter (27 of them) I have never been affiliated with a political party. My home state allows unaffiliated voters to choose a primary in which to vote, so I pick the one I want to vote in, if I feel strongly about one or the other primary.

Otherwise, I just vote on election day.

In this forum, however, because I cannot stand Trump (this dislike goes back decades), I'm assumed to be a Democrat.

I'll admit I'm liberal on social issues, but I'm moderate otherwise and I do vote for people from either major party and even some independents and 3rd parties, when I can.

Why do you think there are people who want to pigeonhole other people into "choosing a side?"

Does it threaten their sense of "how it is done" maybe?

ETA: I made this a public poll, in case anyone wants to reference it later.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:31 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,651,479 times
I’d like to be independent. I actually grew up in a Republican household. But that was in the 80’s when the Republicans had some sanity. The GOP has increasingly gone to crazy town, just look at who is president. As a result, there is only one party left in our two party system that is the party of sanity and facts, the Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 12:33 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,424,718 times
I was a Republican until they nominated George W. Bush. At that point I made myself an Independent who leans liberal. Now I despise Conservatives and it will be along time before I ever vote for one of them as they are nothing but liars and hypocrites who don't give a damn about the environment, poor people, or the middle class.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I’d like to be independent. I actually grew up in a Republican household. But that was in the 80’s when the Republicans had some sanity. The GOP has increasingly gone to crazy town, just look at who is president. As a result, there is only one party left in our two party system that is the party of sanity and facts, the Democrats.
I haven't voted for a Republican for federal office (POTUS, Congress) since 2000.

I have voted for some local ones since then, but none of those since 2004.

I know that for some of the nonpartisan offices in my home state, the people I voted for as recently as 2016 were registered Republicans, but many had been in those a long time and did a good job, so I didn't see any reason to oust them because their party has some stinkers in it. Same is true of the Democrats.

I do not believe in affiliating with a party, though. Nope. Just candidates and balancing power. That's how I vote.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I was a Republican until they nominated George W. Bush. At that point I made myself an Independent who leans liberal. Now I despise Conservatives and it will be along time before I ever vote for one of them as they are nothing but liars and hypocrites who don't give a damn about the environment, poor people, or the middle class.
I actually voted for Dubya the first time. Didn't like Gore. I regretted that later, and it's weird as hell for me to now think I'd prefer him (not Cheney, nooo) to Trump.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:39 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,540,867 times
Different states, different rules, kind of makes for different choices. I'd say that makes the poll meaningless to the questions in the title.

Carry on !!!

Old 09-28-2018, 12:41 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,651,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I haven't voted for a Republican for federal office (POTUS, Congress) since 2000.

I have voted for some local ones since then, but none of those since 2004.

I know that for some of the nonpartisan offices in my home state, the people I voted for as recently as 2016 were registered Republicans, but many had been in those a long time and did a good job, so I didn't see any reason to oust them because their party has some stinkers in it. Same is true of the Democrats.

I do not believe in affiliating with a party, though. Nope. Just candidates and balancing power. That's how I vote.
Is it any wonder that many of the founding fathers were against any political parties? We would not be in this predicament if everyone ran as an individual without party affiliations.

As I told my conservative friend, I am a Democrat by default. Se la vie.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:44 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,692,184 times
I haven't figured out how to answer the poll yet. I am trying to figure out the difference between Unaffiliated or Independent.

Yes, I hear you on the frustration of people assuming you must be 100% for one part and 100% against another. I am in independent thinker and I don't fall neatly into either the Republican or Democratic camp. I think I tend to lean conservative on fiscal issues, but more liberal on social issues.

A lot of times I can clearly see the arguments and points on both sides of an issue. Other times, I like an idea (such as a social issue) but can see it doesn't match with my fiscal beliefs and I ponder it for a while. Trying to figure out what would bring the most good.

In my personal life, I find that almost everyone thinks that I am on the same political page as they are. I am fine with that. It is kind of funny. I go to the gun show with one friend who thinks I am a Tea Party Republican and then the next day I go to a fund raiser with my very liberal friend who thinks I am a card carrying Democrat. Mostly I just let them talk and listen. I don't agree or disagree, just consider what they are saying. But they take that as agreement.

Then sit by myself in the evening and think about how I wish we could eliminate parties all together, then kick everyone out of Washington, and vote all new people in with the conditions that they can not belong to any political party... just run on their personal ideas and thoughts and get rid of the bickering mess we call a government today.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:46 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,540,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Is it any wonder that many of the founding fathers were against any political parties? We would not be in this predicament if everyone ran as an individual without party affiliations.

As I told my conservative friend, I am a Democrat by default. Se la vie.
I know the founders opposed political parties. The thing is, the nature of our presidential elections practically guarantees their existence.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:49 PM

5,751 posts, read 2,759,241 times
I have voted for both, but more dem. In the last few years so many screws have gone loose in the GOP I don't vote for any just as a point. MN had open primaries so I never had to choose now in CA I am listed as a dem because I had to choose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies