Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 03:05 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times

Advertisements

watched the movie lone survivor again the other night it made me wonder about the state of Afghanistan right now.

current KIA of our forces since we went in is around 1865 lost service people with peeks of our KIA in the years 2009-2012 . Taliban currently controls about half of the country. Trump has somewhat ramped up troop levels.

I was for eliminating the Taliban from control, to me that was the mission. Yet years later I wonder if we can, and that if it is in our national interests to do so, what are the goals what is the mission? Yet there are Afghan people who are friendly to us and would benefit from ridding the Taliban , do we just abandon them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...in_Afghanistan

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/in...083528213.html

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashp...n-afghanistan/

what do our soldiers feel about Afghanistan? Many politicians don't even mention Afghanistan anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 03:25 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times
You would think after the Russians got their butts kicked there, we would have stayed out.

Last edited by Floorist; 09-28-2018 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-28-2018, 03:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
watched the movie lone survivor again the other night it made me wonder about the state of Afghanistan right now.

current KIA of our forces since we went in is around 1865 lost service people with peeks of our KIA in the years 2009-2012 . Taliban currently controls about half of the country. Trump has somewhat ramped up troop levels.

I was for eliminating the Taliban from control, to me that was the mission. Yet years later I wonder if we can, and that if it is in our national interests to do so, what are the goals what is the mission? Yet there are Afghan people who are friendly to us and would benefit from ridding the Taliban , do we just abandon them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...in_Afghanistan

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/in...083528213.html

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashp...n-afghanistan/

what do our soldiers feel about Afghanistan? Many politicians don't even mention Afghanistan anymore...
Persian empire, Greek Macedonian empire, Greek bactrian Kingdom, tang China, Arabs, Turkmens, kwarizham, mongols, mughals, Russians, British, soviets, and now Americans. The US troops are marching on the same land where once Alexander the great marched through.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:30 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,947 times
We need to CUT and RUN at this point.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:32 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
The Taliban we are supposedly fighting against are probably second generation from the original group. Not sure why they are any worse than the "government" of the country. Afghanistan has always been a loosely organized gang war. I have long wondered what our interest is in sticking around there.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:35 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Defend our borders, not other nations borders. Defend our people not other nations poppy fields.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:38 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times
What is the validity of emotion and feelings on policy ?
We may need a Czar or new cabinet position of emotional feelings to weight in on both domestic and foreign policy. One with the official position to tell us who we are as Americans and explain what our morals are or should be. They should be the final word on it and everyone should willing comply. We simply can't be trusted as individuals to reach the correct conclusions.

Afghanistan in or out ? The old, in and out, we have been receiving from the beginning.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:39 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Afghanistan is a trainwreck, a really bad one.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:44 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

We have no reason to be there whatsoever. Its been a big money pit and not much has changed there after all these years.

The military industrial complex benefited from this but not America or the world. To think of all the soldiers killed and injured for nothing really burns me up. Very sad.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:48 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What is the validity of emotion and feelings on policy ?
We may need a Czar or new cabinet position of emotional feelings to weight in on both domestic and foreign policy.
Well in this case my feeling or thoughts whatever you want to call them is torn between the right thing to do or deciding what is the right thing to do. Do we support what we started as far as the troops, the people we have become engaged in friendly that is, along with what is the goal, is it to eliminate the Taliban?, is it to nation build? Can either be done.

To eliminate the Taliban may be doable, to nation build all the Afghan people is probably not doable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies