Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 07:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
You know what? Nobody is waging a war on men. What we are doing, however, is no longer allowing men to behave despicably and get away with it. We are no longer allowing men to say whatever they want and get away with it. We are no longer allowing men to touch whoever they want and get away with it. We are no longer allowing men to brutally assault girls in alleyways and get a slap on the wrist because "they have potential and it would ruin their life" if they went to prison. We are no longer allowing men to say "but I was just a kid" when defending horrible mistakes made while those same men as adults will vilify teenage girls who get pregnant and say she has to live with that mistake for the rest of her life.

We have found our voices, finally, and we are no longer willing to keep quiet. We are no longer willing to teach our kids that "boys will be boys" and that girls must take extra precaution in every area of their lives to avoid being hurt by them.

Incredible to me how snow-flakey posts like this come across. You do know what real oppression is, right? It isn't feeling uncomfortable that certain groups of people finally have the rights, the opportunities, and the voice that you have always had. It's someone else's turn, my dude. Dry your tears.
Obviously the Republican men are having difficulty with the bolded. God forbid we addressed our country's rape culture and the bad behavior of many men who hold power.

But to radical right wing nut jobs - that just means it's a war on men.

So stupid. I raised a white male. And I can guarantee you he's never been accused of rape or groping or any of the above but he wasn't some dumb jock that assumed he could get away with anything.

And as for your last paragraph - totally agree. Apparently allowing 'others' to have a seat at the table scares them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I just did a quick review and the majority of candidates running for office on the Democratic side in my area are...white males.

Many will be elected too.
Go figure.
SHOCKING! According to RWNJ's ~ this is impossible.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:57 AM

12,038 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
You know what? Nobody is waging a war on men. What we are doing, however, is no longer allowing men to behave despicably and get away with it. We are no longer allowing men to say whatever they want and get away with it. We are no longer allowing men to touch whoever they want and get away with it. We are no longer allowing men to brutally assault girls in alleyways and get a slap on the wrist because "they have potential and it would ruin their life" if they went to prison. We are no longer allowing men to say "but I was just a kid" when defending horrible mistakes made while those same men as adults will vilify teenage girls who get pregnant and say she has to live with that mistake for the rest of her life.

We have found our voices, finally, and we are no longer willing to keep quiet. We are no longer willing to teach our kids that "boys will be boys" and that girls must take extra precaution in every area of their lives to avoid being hurt by them.

Incredible to me how snow-flakey posts like this come across. You do know what real oppression is, right? It isn't feeling uncomfortable that certain groups of people finally have the rights, the opportunities, and the voice that you have always had. It's someone else's turn, my dude. Dry your tears.
You are missing the point.
This is not about absolving men or anyone of bad behavior or an imbalance of power. And it’s not denying that some men have been guilty of sexual or other crimes against women. But there’s a civil, rational, and legal way of dealing with those issues instead of creating a gender war that the Dems are doing. Saying all men should just shut up, are a$$holes, are untrustworthy, should be snuffed off the planet, advocating unfair double standards for men is not civil and rational — it only creates a gender war that we are starting to see happen because of the democrats constant hate and fear mongering toward men. They have created the same tension and division over race in this country.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:57 AM

301 posts, read 189,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So go after the small percentage of men who are doing this. Leave the rest of us the f--k out of it.
Let me ask you a question - how many girls and women do you know personally, know of through your social circles, or in your community who have come out with a #MeToo story or experience in the last year? Any #MeToo experience, not just violent rape that lands a woman in the ER, but - unwanted advances, pushy daters, hands-y men who don't seem to want to take no for an answer, the cat-callers on the street, the workplace harassers who attempt to disguise their lewd language and shi**y behavior with "humor," the men who go after underage girls, the men who slip sedatives into drinks at parties, the men who purposely keep buying drinks for the woman they just met at a bar because they know the more she drinks the more likely they are of scoring a lay, the domestic abusers, and the rapists.

If almost every girl or woman around you has a story (or multiple stories) that fits one or more of the above scenarios, then it's time to start looking around you and realizing what that means about the boys and the men. Statistically speaking, it isn't a small percentage of women who are victims of some sort of sexual activity in their lifetime. That means that, statistically speaking, the percentage of men behaving this way isn't small either.

And if your response to this is that you don't know many girls or women who have experiences like these, you either aren't paying attention or are deflecting because you're afraid to be held accountable for something you've done that fits one of the descriptions above. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
You are missing the point.
This is not about absolving men or anyone of bad behavior. And it’s not denying that some men have been guilty of sexual or other crimes against women. But there’s a civil, rational, and legal way of dealing with those issues instead of creating a gender war that the Dems are doing. Saying all men should just shut up, are a$$holes, are untrustworthy, should be snuffed off the planet, advocating unfair double standards for men is not civil and rational — it only creates a gender war that we are starting to see happen because of the democrats constant hate and fear mongering toward men. They have created the same tension and division over race in this country.
See, but we aren't doing that. Nobody is saying any of this. We're saying - time to be held accountable, guys. That's it.

Last edited by lunalvr; 10-01-2018 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 07:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I understand what you are saying here. But I also had men try to grope or act or speak inappropriately to me, but always knew they were just ignorant jerks, and the vast majority of men weren’t. The Dems are making it into all men.
There were horrible acts women did to men also — the main one being getting pregnant on purpose to force a boyfriend into marriage — I knew at least two young women doing that.

You are correct that the pendulum is swinging back, but I don’t believe in two wrongs making a right.....
Last I knew, it took a male and female having unprotected sex to get pregnant.

Nothing prevents either party / both parties from taking responsibility for birth control.

Pregnancy no longer results in “ forced marriages” as it once did.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:01 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
I have to wonder what the reaction would be last Thursday if that was a woman seeking a supreme court seat rather than Kavanaugh.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It doesn't warrant a circus. It warrants a confidential investigation by the committee like any other allegation brought before them for decades.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...avanaugh-vote/
It’s rather fascinating that both Republican and Democrat Senators are equally uncertain and want to accelerate/ delay the vote due to the midterms.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:05 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Looks like someone got his bvds in a wad over the Kavanaugh hearings.

too bad.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I think the people you know are lying.

No legitimate person interviewing a candidate for a job would ever say anything like that because is it is illegal, they are freely admitting they discriminate and they are setting themselves up for a lawsuit. Sorry--but I don't believe that. Do you have corroborating evidence?
People not hired/ promoted sometimes prefer to blame-throw instead of accepting the employer took a pass on them.

It’s got to be the employer HAD to hire someone else as opposed to the competition being more qualified or a better interview or a better fit with the internal culture.

This sort of defense mechanism is not limited to white males.

I agree it is highly unlikely any, let alone multiple, employers are exposing themselves to litigation by telling applicants they have to hire a woman.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:30 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It is a full swing of the pendulum from the not so long ago days when women who spoke up about sexual harassment and sexual assault were treated as hysterical, over emotional and not to be believed. Or worse yet, that that's just boys being boys.

I came of age in the '70s and experienced sexual harassment routinely in every job I ever held. It was expected. There was no one to report it to because no one cared.

Now women are standing up and saying no more. And that has shaken society to the core because up until now it's been a man's world.

I, too, have had mostly decent, honorable men in my life, but I will never forget a boss laying his hands on me, and knowing I was powerless to do anything about it if I wanted to keep my job.

I'm sorry if men are feeling ambushed by this movement, but women have felt powerless in the face of male dominance for too long now. This is women pushing back. They are shaking up the status quo, and that's a good thing.
It's a good thing until that pendulum swings back even further next time. In our country right now, we are a community of extremes. To me, as a man, I feel that the push to gain control is too much. There needs to be balances, with balance comes harmony. When you push too hard, people push back even harder.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
The Democrats are doing so much damage to future young men.
By teaching equality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies