Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 12:35 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times

Advertisements

I want everyone to be treated as individuals and no one should expect an apology for something another jerk did. Women should not expect or demand a speech such as this either.

I just want the men I talk with to listen and to say, "Hey, I get it. I know that there are a lot of guys out there who behave terribly and I know that makes a lot of women feel afraid. I'm sorry that those men have made it seem like all of us are this way. I am not this man and I will do what I can, in words and in actions, to make the world safer for the girls and women in my life. It would be really easy for me to participate in the harmful behavior, the degrading speech, and/or the demeaning jokes in the locker room, but I am choosing not to."

Old 10-01-2018, 12:44 PM

301 posts, read 189,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I want everyone to be treated as individuals and no one should expect an apology for something another jerk did. Women should not expect or demand a speech such as this either.

I just want the men I talk with to listen and to say, "Hey, I get it. I know that there are a lot of guys out there who behave terribly and I know that makes a lot of women feel afraid. I'm sorry that those men have made it seem like all of us are this way. I am not this man and I will do what I can, in words and in actions, to make the world safer for the girls and women in my life. It would be really easy for me to participate in the harmful behavior, the degrading speech, and/or the demeaning jokes in the locker room, but I am choosing not to."
That's the thing though - I don't expect or demand this because I know I'm never going to get it. I simply said it's what I want and the motivation behind my participation in discussions like this.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:52 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
That's the thing though - I don't expect or demand this because I know I'm never going to get it. I simply said it's what I want and the motivation behind my participation in discussions like this.
There is a big difference between recognizing the differences between men and women and calling those differences a "superiority" like you did in your previous post. If you subscribe to the "toxic masculinity" mantra then you are negatively describing what is an inherent trait in men. Please don't conflate masculinity with jerk behavior as the two are not the same.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:58 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Everyone condemns racism/sexism, until its directed at white males. That doesnt make snowflakes out of white males. It makes hypocrites out of the enablers/racists/sexists.
It seems like white male bashing is ok to do. No one says a word about it. You got idiots like Joy Behar openly bashing white men.

Things are swinging too far the other way. All people need to be treated with respect and equally.

I don't get why this is so hard for some people to get.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Last edited by Chowhound; 10-01-2018 at 01:15 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 01:06 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It seems like white male bashing is ok to do. No one says a word about it. You got retards like Joy Behar openly bashing white men.

Things are swinging too far the other way. All people need to be treated with respect and equally.

I think what happens historically is that the pendulum does tend to swing too far in the opposite direction. For generations there was so much inequality when it came to women, minorities, etc. Hopefully at some point in time, the balance will happen. I too want to see everyone treated with respect and equally.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I think what happens historically is that the pendulum does tend to swing too far in the opposite direction. For generations there was so much inequality when it came to women, minorities, etc. Hopefully at some point in time, the balance will happen. I too want to see everyone treated with respect and equally.
Things probably will settle out. IDK, things are getting better for those groups you listed but at the end of the day, I'll still take being a man over a woman. Being a white man I suppose is still ok. For now... I guess we like the Romans had our time in the sun......

Old 10-01-2018, 01:11 PM

177 posts, read 108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It seems like white male bashing is ok to do. No one says a word about it. You got retards like Joy Behar openly bashing white men.

Please Please Please do not use the word "retards" to describe people. You stated that "ALL people need to be treated with respect" and yet you use a word that is so hurtful to people like me who have a child with intellectual disabilities. This word hurts and is really not respectful at all. You have every right to disagree with Joy Behar but please don't use this word to describe her. It demeans my daughter and it demeans you- for using it. Thanks.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnfarm1947 View Post
Please Please Please do not use the word "retards" to describe people. You stated that "ALL people need to be treated with respect" and yet you use a word that is so hurtful to people like me who have a child with intellectual disabilities. This word hurts and is really not respectful at all. You have every right to disagree with Joy Behar but please don't use this word to describe her. It demeans my daughter and it demeans you- for using it. Thanks.
Fair enough. It is an ugly word. I used it on purpose without thinking about the real living people with disabilities.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:19 PM

301 posts, read 189,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
There is a big difference between recognizing the differences between men and women and calling those differences a "superiority" like you did in your previous post. If you subscribe to the "toxic masculinity" mantra then you are negatively describing what is an inherent trait in men. Please don't conflate masculinity with jerk behavior as the two are not the same.
Please don't put words in my mouth. I pointed out the idea of toxic masculinity and the superiority complex that some men have as a societal problem - not as something that afflicts all men across the board. And when I talk about toxic masculinity, I'm not talking about genetic masculine traits ... I'm talking about toxic masculinity, which is the socially constructed idea that men are violent, unemotional, and sexually aggressive by default, with no choice in the matter. The "boys will be boys" mantra being but one example of this.

Toxic masculinity is, believe it or not, harmful to boys and men as well. The pillars of masculinity, like strength, endurance, assertiveness, confidence, and the innate desire to provide and protect are beautiful and should be celebrated. Men are allowed to be emotional, vulnerable, sensitive, and empathetic. The toxicity comes in when these are ignored or suppressed in favor of the "jerk" mentality.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:20 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Why isn't there such a think as Toxic Femininity, or "Womansplaining"? Both exist, but hardly ever discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies