Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:57 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Flake is persuadable, though. I really do think it will depend on the FBI report. That said, he's absolutely correct about Kavanaugh's extreme (to put it mildly) partisanship as a disqualification. Everybody's partisan to one degree or another, but when you're interviewing a nominee for the Supreme Court and he thinks that the other major party is engaged in a conspiracy theory against him personally--frankly, that's crazyville.
Yes but we elected a crazy nutcase as POTUS, no surprise at all he would choose another one for SCOTUS.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:58 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I believe Rachel Mitchell ........... no need to pick from 2 people under Oath.
You have to admit that ANY detail might have helped Ford + not changing her story a few times.
I trust the expert who heard both of them and questioned each of them.
I believe Mitchell as well. The main point being, it is not what Mitchell wrote and assessed, it is what Ford testified about. Anyone with half a brain could see the holes - more than a slice of Swiss Cheese. You really didn't need Mitchell to point that out. It was totally obvious, unless someone listened to the news and didn't actually listen to her testimony.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:58 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Flake is persuadable, though. I really do think it will depend on the FBI report. That said, he's absolutely correct about Kavanaugh's extreme (to put it mildly) partisanship as a disqualification. Everybody's partisan to one degree or another, but when you're interviewing a nominee for the Supreme Court and he thinks that the other major party is engaged in a conspiracy theory against him personally--frankly, that's crazyville.
I disagree with you. Kavanaugh saying explicitly in his rebuttal to dr. ford's testimony that the democrats are trying to destroy his life's work and reputation based on uncorroborated accusations isn't partisan. It is a fact.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:59 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Ok, so let's revisit a claim on President of the United States Donald J. Trump that he's a liar and lies every time he opens his mouth...

President Trump: I'm a Republican.

Breathless liberal losers: No he's not! Just watch and see!

SCOTUS nominees: Judge Neil Gorsch...

Breathless... Pssst... Yeah right.
Anarcho Capitalists... Liberal! Fools!

SCOTUS nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh...

Breathless... WAA! Not My ScWotus! Waa!
Anarcho Capitalists... Ummm errr.... DOIY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Women are going to provide this much needed backbone. I truly believe this. The millions of women who took to the streets after the inauguration, the strength and effectiveness of the Me Too movement, the record number of womend running for political office this time around, all point to the beginning of a new era.

The *****-grabbing party ignores this at their own peril.
The finger-****ing few that collected their Soros money do not an era make, and that includes Comey's ilk.

Back to the facts, kiddies.

Senator Lindsey Graham: just you wait losers. We're going to retaliate with the same vicious tactics that you're using now. Just go ahead and be that way.

McConnell: FBI is wrapping up, and we're going to have a vote this week as scheduled.

Senator Lindsey Graham: I hope this is the bottom. I hope we can turn this around from here. If not, God help us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
According to her testimony the therapists notes said 4 unnamed people assaulted her or were in the bedroom where she was allegedly assaulted. She went on to say that was a mistake and there were only two. Just saying she had the means to set up to 4 people up if she needed to.

Like you I have a hard time believing she doesn't know how she got home. Her story has her breezing by the occupants of the house to escape so kind of leaves them out and doesn't include making a call to get a ride. Did she run to a neighbors to use the phone. Are we expected to believe she ran out into this upscale neighborhood and thumbed a ride? That she walked home several miles? Its just not believable.

I don't buy the husband remembers her saying BK's name. Whether or not he is in on what I believe is her con job I think that was fabricated to bolster her story. My husband and I grew up in different places knowing different people. Of all the stories we've told each other about these people, I guarantee neither of us could come up with complete names.
This is the crux of the disgusting tactic the Democrats are using here, this We can make up to four charges here if we need to.

So this is how I see their game plan from the start.

Schumer and company: looks like Kavanaugh killed us in the confirmation hearings. What now?
Feinstein: Well, I have this July letter we can throw out there... See what sticks.
Schumer: That would be wicked. Let's go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Hannity is the president of Fox? when did this happen?
They fear him the most. Wonder what they think about Sheppard Smith or Juan Williams or Tarlov or Harf or... ... ... Mary Ann Marsh... Barf...

Wow. Senator Jon Tester is one cheeseburger away from a heart attack.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-02-2018 at 01:44 PM..

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Backbone, if the dems had half the backbone the GOP has they would control everthing.

The GOP are ethically monsters, they have some of the worst politicians I have ever seen and i have lived in a bunch of countries.

BUT they have rock solid backbone. Mitch is stunning in his ability to break or bend rules and norms, there is no limit to what he will do to win, Session will take any amount of humiliation to ensure his agenda is carried out. Ryan, did not even wince when he sold Americans his tax plan. King, Nunes, Cruz, Hatch

You guys got some of the toughest most soulless leaders the US has ever seen. It has been a complete disaster for the nation a massive victory for extreme right wing Republicans......

backbone, if we on the left had leaders with just 10% of the backbone Repubs have, we would control most of the states and all 3 branches....
Women are going to provide this much needed backbone. I truly believe this. The millions of women who took to the streets after the inauguration, the strength and effectiveness of the Me Too movement, the record number of women running for political office this time around, all point to the beginning of a new era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Oh give it up. You libs have been playing that wrinkled old card since the Reagan years. Try something new once in a while.

Hear, Hear!!

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I don't know anything about slots or how to interpret it. Cite? I'd be interested in the context.

Again, not a therapist here with little familiarity with "best practices." Ford didn't want to then name them (but mentioned a name in a subsequent sessions and the therapist never went back in time)? The slots were always meant to be blank, actual names never to go in the notes? Mitchell didn't mention this.

Regardless, is the contention that her husband is lying - and how does that tie into a plot and/or unstable Ford scenario?

Please understand, my take is that this situation is problematic. I would not blindly accept Ford's story wholesale and as I've said believe she would have done better not to go public. Even if her intentions were to serve the public good or some such stuff, an unprovable assertions only increases the national divide.

Too, out of all the various "questions," the one I find most compelling (as Mitchell likewise appears to have done) is that Ford does not remember how she got home. Not where the house was ... not how she got there ... but home after the incident.

We all tend to interpret thru our individual frameworks and that *I* find surprising. Sure, it could be evidence the story is fabricated or it could be evidence of substantial trauma. And I am willing to question how good a reporter a profoundly traumatized individual might be. I wrote earlier that if she had not previously known Kavanaugh that would be highly problematic.

I don't get cable television so I've no idea if the airwaves (or cable lines) are filled with armchair psychologists analyzing "typical" traumatic behavior. Calling Dr. Phil ...
According to her testimony the therapists notes said 4 unnamed people assaulted her or were in the bedroom where she was allegedly assaulted. She went on to say that was a mistake and there were only two. Just saying she had the means to set up to 4 people up if she needed to.

Like you I have a hard time believing she doesn't know how she got home. Her story has her breezing by the occupants of the house to escape so kind of leaves them out and doesn't include making a call to get a ride. Did she run to a neighbors to use the phone. Are we expected to believe she ran out into this upscale neighborhood and thumbed a ride? That she walked home several miles? Its just not believable.

I don't buy the husband remembers her saying BK's name. Whether or not he is in on what I believe is her con job I think that was fabricated to bolster her story. My husband and I grew up in different places knowing different people. Of all the stories we've told each other about these people, I guarantee neither of us could come up with complete names.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:01 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Ooops....

2012 or was it really 2008?

Renovation Records Undercut Ford's Exit-Door Account

https://www.realclearinvestigations....r_account.html

sorry mate it undercuts nothing at all.

what you got here is inference, not a lie not a "got ya".

This is nothing more than an absolutely desperate attempt to smear an otherwise squeaky clean witness.
Frankly if this is the best you guys can come up with than you may as well post "I think she was a stunningly good and trust worthy witness".

Old 10-02-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Women are going to provide this much needed backbone. I truly believe this. The millions of women who took to the streets after the inauguration, the strength and effectiveness of the Me Too movement, the record number of women running for political office this time around, all point to the beginning of a new era.

Like this?

Charges Dropped Against 4 Dentists Accused of Rape in Las Vegas

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...494850701.html

Old 10-02-2018, 01:03 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
the new liberal "rule of law"

Guilty until proven innocent... let's see how that works for ya in Nov...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies