Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Didn't Donald Trump say (he lied) that the FBI would have "free rein?"

"The White House and Senate Committee republicans are keeping a tight lid on what the limitations of the investigation are, and making sure that the limited scope details given to the FBI are not revealed to the public."

Feels like we're stuck in the Twilight Zone.

No source...never woulda thunk it....

Old 10-01-2018, 07:06 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Another Yale classmate comes forward.

A Yale classmate of Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh’s accused him on Sunday of a “blatant mischaracterization” of his drinking while in college, saying that he often saw Judge Kavanaugh “staggering from alcohol consumption.”

The classmate, Chad Ludington, who said he frequently socialized with Judge Kavanaugh as a student...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...wzp?li=BBnb7Kz
In his testimony that I heard, Kavanaugh said he liked drinking beer, sometimes he drank too much, but he never blacked out from drinking. I'm not sure how this contradicts that.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:06 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Clearly our minds trying to deal with our frustrations of this week's irrational, unreasonable actions of our so-called leaders, while simultaneous empathizing with a man fighting for his life based on unsubstantiated accusations!
Oh, stop with the drama already. He's fighting for a job, not his life. He's not walking a plank; he talked in front of the Sentate. And lied several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
His tendency to lie is the "something else," though. Not a good trait for a supreme court justice.
+1. Every politician lies. A liar for a Supreme Court justice is more of a serious thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
True dat.

To be clear, I think that Kavanaugh missed a golden opportunity and mishandled questions about his drinking, yearbooks, etc. in high school and college.
"Mishandled questions about his drinking?" You mean lying? Is that like alternative facts?

Quote:
I think he should have laughed those off, and at the most should have said, "You know what - I don't even remember what we were talking about in those yearbook entries - I was a KID, a TEENAGER then - you got anything better to throw at me?" He shouldn't have honored that line of questioning with any sort of serious answer.

I can't believe we're down to judging a person by their drinking expertise when they were a TEENAGER. Because that's where so much of this is focused - partying when one is a teenager. Please! It's ridiculous!

I wasn't the same person I was at 17 by the time I was 20. Moving out on my own, going to college, supporting myself, paying my own bills, all that made a huge difference in my mindset - not to mention that for women, the frontal lobe matures around the age of 20 or so. FOR MEN, IT DOESN'T MATURE TILL THEY ARE ABOUT 25 YEARS OLD. Which explains a lot, but I digress.
I agree. People change a lot in 30 years. However, if Kavanaugh blacked out, even once 30 years ago, he won't remember what he did or didn't do during that timeframe. That's why blacking out is so dangerous. And that's what he lied about. And that's the problem. not the drinking itself. The lying and the blacking out may have led to a sexual assault that he was unaware of. Or aware of if he hadn't blacked out.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:07 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
OK maybe I missed this, but have we talked yet about the statement issued by the sex crimes prosecutor? She said based on what she knows, she would not prosecute Kavanaugh because not only is this a case of "he said, she said," Ford's story was too inconsistent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.ebbb712fdf3a
Ratchel Mitchell stated last night that the case against Kavanaugh is even weaker than "he said, she said".

Christine Ford changed the time of occurrence of the incident from the mid-1980s to the early 1980s and finally to the summer of 1982. She did not mention Brett Kavanaugh was her attacker to her therapist in 2012. She does not know how she got to the house, where the house is located, or how she got back home. None of her named witnesses corroborate her presence or their presence at the house.

Too many holes and inconsistencies in her story.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:09 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,821 times
Quote:

FOR MEN, IT DOESN'T MATURE TILL THEY ARE ABOUT 25 YEARS OLD. Which explains a lot, but I digress.
Hey, I may have even stopped at 25! I like to think of it being Young-at-Heart.

But I have also been very successful in both my career (retired at 51) and raising my children.

I believe that you can't take life TOO seriously (unless you're running for SCOTUS I guess)!

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 10-01-2018 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 07:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
"Mishandled questions about his drinking?" You mean lying? Is that like alternative facts?

No, why are you trying to put words in my mouth? I gave a very specific example of what I meant when I said that - I would have suggested laughing that stupid stuff off. Yearbook entries about drinking or whatever? COME ON.

Look at the man's lifetime of accomplishments as an adult. Let's PLEASE not judge people on how much they drank when they were teens. Please. It's ridiculous.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:12 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
So one of Kavanaugh's friends says he will tell the FBI that Kavanaugh was a vicious drunk at Yale (grown up now). If this proves to be true, then Kavanaugh committed perjury before the Senate. Worse, once a violent drunk always a violent drunk.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:13 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
There are only 2 things that matter here.

1. The democrats are only going to accept an open ended investigation that takes us past the midterms as being legitimate.
2. Will Flake, Collins or Murkowski ultimately cave to the democrats demands for an open ended investigation that brings us past the midterms?

Everything else you all are discussing is a mere distraction. The answer to the question in item 2 is the only thing that matters right now. They've all heard the democrats objections by now. Have any of them made statements today on the matter?

Old 10-01-2018, 07:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So one of Kavanaugh's friends says he will tell the FBI that Kavanaugh was a vicious drunk at Yale (grown up now). If this proves to be true, then Kavanaugh committed perjury before the Senate. Worse, once a violent drunk always a violent drunk.
And hopefully the FBI will be able to determine whether or not this person is a credible witness. Lots of people say lots of things, make lots of claims. We'll see.

You know what I find to be interesting, though it is also predictable - that now the left is all up in arms about Kavanaugh's drinking habits when he was a teenager, since it seems that the Ford fiasco is not likely to hold up. And if the drinking thing doesn't pan out, it will be something else, and then something else...because the goal of those Senators is to keep this man off the Supreme Court (and watch - any other Trump nominee - more fun is coming), not to defend women, or support Ford or whatever. He is a conservative and they will fight the appointment of a conservative - ANY conservative - to the bloody end.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:17 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Proving Kavanaugh perjured himself is basically a black hole. There is no way you can prove that when asked if Kavanaugh sometimes drank in excess he said "yes, I have had too many beers". He is smart. He admitted to having "too many beers", which mean that he drank in excess at times. There is no way to prove or disprove blackouts.
I do not think the fact that Kavanaugh drank too much in college and HS is really debatable anymore. He did. The question is does drinking too much as a child and college aged adult disqualify you from sitting on the Supreme Court. The question is also is their enough evidence that he sexually molested a girl/girls while drinking as a child and young college aged adult?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies