Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 05:28 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The Democrat left media went all-in against Kavanaugh, aggressively facilitating and participating in the nastiest and most baseless smear campaign any of us have ever seen. They utterly failed to accomplish their despicable objective.

CNN and the media here have lost in spectacular fashion, yet again.
The objective was to rile up their potential voters and motivate them to go to the polls for once, I think. We'll see.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:29 PM

8,117 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
He had a justifiable reason for being angry. The left had accused him of a vile crime. His family was receiving threats. The democrat party as a whole were the ones driving it all.
We already have a SCJ who spoke out against the President. She later apologized, but hey she is a hard core leftists so it is acceptable right?

Why do you impose standards for those on the right that you ignore in your own?
Lol. Try to get angry at a job interview. Report back.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:30 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
When the Dems take back the Senate I hope they restore the 60 vote requirement for SC judges. We have seen what a partisan fiasco the simple majority vote is. Needing "the other side" would lead to better choices and eliminate the spectacle and the pressure on the only decent senators we have, the moderates.
When Harry Reid pulled the trigger on the nuclear option in 2013, Mitch McConnell said, and I quote, “You'll regret this, and you may regret this a lot sooner than you think.”

I guess this is what he meant.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:30 PM

718 posts, read 598,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'm not saying anything like that. I'm saying if a woman is raped or assaulted, do everything you can to gather your courage and go to the police as soon as possible. I'm sure it's the hardest thing anyone could ever contemplate doing besides burying a child, but it is a duty in my opinion. Rapists are repeat offenders. We owe it to other women, men, boys, and girls to make sure that person gets marked for what they did (if they are proved to be guilty of course).

I understand children being manipulated to not tell, and being afraid to tell, but no woman or man should ever be too afraid to go to the police when they have an opportunity. It may not work out for you. They may tell you that there is not enough evidence to prosecute. They may tell you that the person you're going after is too powerful like they did to one victim of Bill Cosby, but there is a now a record of it. That woman had the last laugh because she not only made a report, she filed a civil suit against Cosby and got him to say some very incriminating things in a deposition. It's the thing that finally got him in trouble. So even though it seemed like it was pointless at the time, it really was a great move.
Absolutely understood and agreed. Apologies if I misinterpreted.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:31 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Here is Senator Collins speech, for those who missed it:

I regularly watch Senate Hearings - I've heard Senator Collins many times.
Sometimes I agree, sometimes I disagree .... BUT .....

I'm always aware that a "conservative" (ie Republican, which I'm not) in one State really has little relationship with a "conservative" in another State ..... AND that all of them are supposed to represent the People who elected them.

I find that many consider Senator Susan Collins a "RINO" .... Leftist love that she sometimes vote with them and praise her. She does what SHE considers best Represent the PEOPLE who elected her.

A Texan doesn't have to agree and neither does a West Coaster .... she is NOT their Senator.

She gave the MOST Impressive Speech I've seen on the US Senate Floor in many decades - maybe the most impressive ever. She certainly deserved her own thread ... she carefully laid out her case and gave her reasons for her Vote "case by case" with ALL of the concerns she had.

It's the very first speech about the Confirmation of a Supreme Court Judge that actually addressed the importance of a Senator's JOB to "Advise & Consent" and the importance of that job. She did her homework, she takes her job seriously.

I'm sure she is aware that the Rabid Leftists will come after her ..... but the Reality is they started attacking her months ago. They didn't scare her off - she just kept doing her Job.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:32 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
When the Dems take back the Senate I hope they restore the 60 vote requirement for SC judges. We have seen what a partisan fiasco the simple majority vote is. Needing "the other side" would lead to better choices and eliminate the spectacle and the pressure on the only decent senators we have, the moderates.
How many Blue Dog moderates are actually in the Democrat party today?

Obama and Bernie pushed the party left and there is very little room left for someone in the middle.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:32 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
And yes, good point. That is quite a different demographic up there, but although Murkowski has won three full terms to the Senate, she has never won a majority of the vote. She won with 48.6% of the vote in 2004, 39.5% in 2010, and 44.4% in 2016.
You cut and pasted that directly from Wikipedia, lol.

While you were skimming Wiki for talking points, did you also notice that 2010 was a three-way race (in which she was a write-in candidate!) and 2016 was a four-way race?

Old 10-05-2018, 05:33 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Thank you boneyard. Some people are just idiots, what can I say? I absolutely abhor when these feminists claim that we should just "teach our sons not to rape!" "They should be able to walk naked through a prison and still not get raped!" Why should they have to take any precautions at all, in dress, in behavior, in being wise about your surroundings? It's ALL men's fault because they should have learned not to rape!

Do these people live in the actual world? Have they never read a news article, watched an ID Channel show, known any person who has ever been the victim of crime? Have they ever actually met thousands of parents "teaching their sons how to rape"? It's ridiculous. There are murderers and rapists and violent greedy thugs who will brutally kill you just because they enjoy it. Do these people think all we need to do is have classes on toxic masculinity and suddenly every male is going to be alright?

Again, idiots exist and these people certainly fit into that category.
When Millennial American Women get tired of paying their sons legal bills and redundant tuition from having to change colleges due to false accusations stemming from retroactive consent change ("I thought I wanted to have sex but I actually realize now I did not") - Things will change.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:34 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
The Democrat left media went all-in against Kavanaugh, aggressively facilitating and participating in the nastiest and most baseless smear campaign any of us have ever seen. They utterly failed to accomplish their despicable objective.

CNN and the media here have lost in spectacular fashion, yet again.
I honestly didn't know anything about Kavanaugh. After all the smears and pushing that he was guilty of a heinous crime without a shred of evidence? I am glad it blew up on them. I just hope we aren't stuck with a bad judge. They should have attacked based on his judicial record. I have to believe that there is a reason that they didn't.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:34 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I regularly watch Senate Hearings - I've heard Senator Collins many times.
Sometimes I agree, sometimes I disagree .... BUT .....

I'm always aware that a "conservative" (ie Republican, which I'm not) in one State really has little relationship with a "conservative" in another State ..... AND that all of them are supposed to represent the People who elected them.

I find that many consider Senator Susan Collins a "RINO" .... Leftist love that she sometimes vote with them and praise her. She does what SHE considers best Represent the PEOPLE who elected her.

A Texan doesn't have to agree and neither does a West Coaster .... she is NOT their Senator.

She gave the MOST Impressive Speech I've seen on the US Senate Floor in many decades - maybe the most impressive ever. She certainly deserved her own thread ... she carefully laid out her case and gave her reasons for her Vote "case by case" with ALL of the concerns she had.

It's the very first speech about the Confirmation of a Supreme Court Judge that actually addressed the importance of a Senator's JOB to "Advise & Consent" and the importance of that job. She did her homework, she takes her job seriously.

I'm sure she is aware that the Rabid Leftists will come after her ..... but the Reality is they started attacking her months ago. They didn't scare her off - she just kept doing her Job.
It was a great speech and I certainly respect her for the thoroughness she took in reaching the conclusion that she did.

I hope her read of him is correct and that he will not be a conservative ideologue. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies