Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 12:08 PM

2,102 posts, read 989,560 times

Advertisements

Right now Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman, is explaining how accommodating he and the Committee was towards CBF.

Hell, if he was any more accommodating to CBF, he'd have to change his name to Stormy!

Old 10-06-2018, 12:10 PM

294 posts, read 217,585 times
Far from being an honorable statesman Harry Reid is a dirty filthy mobster. George Washington would have him strung up on the gallows if he were here. Chuckie Scummer would be next to swing from the same rope.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,862,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Kavanaugh lied. For starters, he said he had no connection to Yale when he was a legacy student. He said the legal age to drink was 18 when it 21 by the time he turned 18. There are several instances where he lied.
I know that FORD lied. She said she was terrified of flying (could not come to Washington to testify).
Then it turned out she was a world traveler.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:13 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
They won't enjoy it for long. It has messed up the process for years to come for both sides of the aisle.

Only the side that is not in power...What goes around comes around...

Old 10-06-2018, 12:13 PM

7,264 posts, read 4,173,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Not baseless--

Kavanaugh has lied to Congress before--at least twice on separate occasions...
He DID lie to Congress in both of the testimonies he gave for this nomination...

The FBI circumvented ANY possibility of finding the evidence to support he was lying because Don McGahn and apparently Chris Wray were comfortable putting such a narrow scope on whom they interviewed that Kavanaugh was never in any danger...

Of course the very fact that they DID engineer this to exclude rational evidence that would cast doubt on Kavanaugh's truthfulness means he will always be a stained Justice on the Supreme Court
But they don't care abou that

The GOP has proven over and over there is no moral center even as they try to claim the moral high ground.

Susan Collings 40min whitewashing of Brett Kavanaugh mentioned how destructive the Democrats' actions were in protesting Kavanaugh's appointment and pointed out that Garland and Kavanaugh have like a 90+ % overlap on their judicial decisions---but she never once objected to Mitch McConnell's refusal of processing Garland's nomination by Obama...
And Collins was vehement about pushing Al Franken out of the Senate w/o any kind of Senatorial hearing when his accusers came forward ---so one rule of "law" for Franken, a Democrate, and a totally different examination of character for Kavanaugh... That seems par for the course...

Her hypocrisy is going to cost her the Senate because she won't run again...3 millions reasons and growing...
Maybe she feels she wouldn't have anyway because of her age or other factors--she can lie to herself all she wants---but lying to the people of America just won't fly this time...
She didn't lie to the American people. I'm guessing she swayed many democrats over to the Republican side with a reasoned, intelligent, fact-based speech. Something sorely lacking from the left.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:15 PM

7,264 posts, read 4,173,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I know that FORD lied. She said she was terrified of flying (could not come to Washington to testify).
Then it turned out she was a world traveler.
just one of the many inconsistencies with Dr. Ford. Makes you wonder if she will try and slip away now or continue to assert her accusations. Frankly, given all that we have learned - I hope she gets sued for slander.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:17 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,419,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Not a done deal yet. The senator who is attending their daughters wedding should be there for the vote no matter what. I don't trust the Dems or deep state.
Perhaps this Senator will turn from hypocrisy after walking his daughter down the aisle.
Will he wonder if she had ever been sexually assaulted and feared to tell ?

Clearly, sexual assault, still, crosses all socio-economic lines, despite the impeachment of Bill Clinton for lying about it. In fact it paved the way for a Donald Trump to Represent the party that impeached , most voraciously, a Democrat. And for the Republicans to announce that Brett Kav. may be the greatest SC justice ever. Of course .He earned their respect as the author of the most filthy descriptions of sexual acts to question Clinton. He drew on his experiences with Mark Judge so indelible in his hippocampus....he s a gem.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,552,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
You posted the following:

So, you made an assertion.

I am asking you to explain why you believe that although nobody will lose his/her right and ability to vote due to organized economic power, there is nonetheless a rational fear that some people will be squeezed out of the electoral process.

How is that fear rational?

Don't tell me to do the work or to think for myself. If you have no intelligent reply, just say so.

Or, back up your assertion with some explanation.
Democracy would seem to indicate a balance--that people's votes have an equal value in the overall scheme of the election system...But that doesn't really favor the GOP which is going against the current trend for minority growth and liberal ideas from younger voters

that is why 'gerrymandering" which the GOP loves to do has been rampant in the last 10 yrs--since the census triggered the ability of state legislatures to revamp districts according to population shifts...unfortunately with BK now on the Court it seems very likely there will be no more decisions that find the GOP has gerrymandered to create districts directly to benefit the GOP...

But in reality the minority of population controls the majority of the senate--because a state like Wyoming with fewer than 300K citizens has two Senators
How many TOWNS in the United States have more than 300K residents???
That is not the only example of how states with smaller total population and conservative attitudes have equal weight with states with far greater numbers and more liberal views...

There is a terrible imbalance within the way the Constitution has overweighted some states now w/o considering how population centers would shift over the past 200 yrs.
That has played into the GOP's hands...

Personally I am all for liberals in places like CA or NY or other areas moving to states like MS or Iowa or South Dakota and working from home for a year so so to get registered and change voting patterns...

Old 10-06-2018, 12:18 PM

21,397 posts, read 10,454,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What a deal this...

I couldn't find a way to believe one more than the other. I still find it hard to believe Ford would testify as she did if she weren't telling the truth. On the other hand, if Ford was lying or not correct about Kavanaugh assaulting her, it isn't hard to understand that Kavanaugh would react the way he did. If Kavanaugh is guilty, it isn't hard to understand that Kavanaugh would react the way he did.

Ultimately, I (like Collins) am a strong believer in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the presumption of innocence until proven guilty." Though something seems to smell awfully bad here, without some proof of Kavanaugh's guilt beyond Ford's claim, on what grounds do you declare Kavanaugh guilty?

Regardless, I am still disappointed so many Republican Senators are supporting Kavanaugh. Not because Ford should be believed instead, but because of how Kavanaugh handled himself, for what Kavanaugh himself acknowledged he should have handled better. Reminds me much of our last election. We really should be able to do better in terms of getting better qualified candidates to assume responsibilities of these highest levels; POTUS, Senators, judges. Much better.
I’m very proud of this post.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:20 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,204,293 times
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies