Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 10:47 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Because they have other reasons for not wanting him on the court. Doesn't mean that they were doing something illegal to keep him off it.

Please remind me... how many Republican Senators would not even CONSIDER Merrick Garland?

Oh, yeah... none of them because McConnell would not have it.

See how that partisan crap screws us all every time?
Sotomayer and Kagan both got quite a few R Senate votes.

No one that was selected by Trump this go around would have gotten any of those 45 D votes, no matter what.

If Kavanaugh fails, I hope he nominates Amy Barrett. She appears to be even more conservative. Let's see what dirt the corrupt D's will charge her with.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:49 AM

21,738 posts, read 9,300,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, to be fair, we know precious little about Ford since her background has been scrubbed.

Personally I think that was one of the reasons for the delay in presenting this to the public by Feinstein, to get some time to scrub her background and "online persona" but then, I'm a natural skeptic.

She met her husband on an online dating site for pete's sake. She was online. Now she's not. Interesting.
https://heavy.com/news/2018/09/russe...stine-husband/
I am going to tell my girls that if they ever do anything embarrassing and it gets posted online to accuse a GOP person of something heinous so they can get their internet presence deleted.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,109,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Because they dont like Trump, the Republicans, anyone who voted for a republication and Judge Kavanaugh.
I don't like Trump. I don't really have an issue with all Republicans any more than I do with all Democrats.

I'm a liberal... moderate, not hard left.

I don't care if people vote for Republicans. I've done it myself plenty of times.

I do care if people vote for idiots... see: Trump.

But, it is their right to vote for idiots... see: Trump.

I doubt I'd like Kavanaugh now that I've see how he behaves... seems like a guy with anger issues.

So, no.... it's not as simplistic as you think.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I did watch it. She was silent after those softball questions. I only had the audio feed. I presumed she got up and left. In either case, she became a spectator. At no point did she grill him on his drinking habits or his calendar.
She was not a prosecutor in this case. She was hired by the R's to question Ford so she could do delicately without being accused of attacking a victim.

I'm surprised they let her ask BK any questions, it was not necessary.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:51 AM

19,394 posts, read 6,449,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
My family voted Democratic their whole lives. My mom was Teamsters at one time, my dad was Master, Mates & Pilots union. I listened to the Senate hearings on Kavanaugh on the radio. I couldn't believe anybody would be on her side. Her fakey tears, clutching at her hankie, unfocused eyes, and choked up voice for effect, I don't care about party lines. What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. The whole affair seemed like a pre-planned set-up to me. One after another the senators kept telling her she was brave, as she said in that emotion choked voice "Tthhhaank yyyoou" Oh, please!!! If that's womanhood, I'm not a woman. I would never subscribe to whatever she classifies herself as. Lindsey Graham got it right. It is an unethical sham, and she's not brave, she's a conniving weasel/hired gun.
Yes. I saw a video in which a body language expert revealed the ways in which Ford was giving away her act. One had to do with that "chokey" voice and how it was faked.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:52 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,781,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes it would have been assault.

She couldn't help being in the bedroom because she was pushed in there. Trying to hit on a girl does not involve surprise attacks and restraining them.
I just saw this.

I don't disagree with that, all I said was that it was not unusual for her to not remember all the details given the circumstances... plus I'm not surprised they don't remember either.

Plus, I was a teen/in college in the 80s. In many circles that would not have been thought of as "assault" or "attempted rape". They would have thought of it as wild party boy antics, "you know how guys get", "well weren't you flirting with him?", etc etc etc.

My only point that it is highly likely at the time, the boys involved wouldn't have considered themselves as having done anything that would stick out in their minds. They might have done stuff like that all the time and never thought twice.

Guys like that were considerd jerks maybe, but not rapists or assaulters.

It's way better now than it was then. I woudn't go back for anything.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Sotomayer and Kagan both got quite a few R Senate votes.

No one that was selected by Trump this go around would have gotten any of those 45 D votes, no matter what.

If Kavanaugh fails, I hope he nominates Amy Barrett. She appears to be even more conservative. Let's see what dirt the corrupt D's will charge her with.
I'm fine with Trump nominating a conservative. I mean, that's what he would do to replace a conservative, no?

I don't like Kavanaugh, but really it's just based on his testimony at this point. He seems like a grudge-holding jerk.

But... I don't care that he's conservative at all.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:53 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,395,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Actions have consequences.

If you accuse someone of something as hideous as this, you better have proof. As hell hath no fury, in a day of reckoning.

Face it, Communism is in fear of it's extinction.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:54 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,388,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It's a serious stretch to think that a woman would come forward with allegations like these and attract so much attention and wrath (and death threats) over a lie she fabricated. Especially someone who otherwise, by all accounts, very much valued her privacy.
She told you herself her community......which is a very rich privileged one...…..is very supportive of her.

Lets put the death threats in perspective...…….sure that would be frightening...….but we all know that most of them are crazy nutjob keyboard warriors who will not be leaving their basements to harm anyone. Any serious ones, hopefully LEO is on top of it. And, like I said hopefully they make examples out of some of them on both sides.

All that being said, she also told you she has friends who can provide security...….sounded like professional security to me...….she didn't sound overly concerned. She and most likely many of her wealthy friends have more than one home. She apparently has lots of choices where to hang out in comfort until the crazies move on.

When this is over...….she will go back to her wealthy privileged cushy life...….in a place where she is surrounded by a community that will hail her as a liberal hero. What has she lost?

Old 10-01-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I just saw this.

I don't disagree with that, all I said was that it was not unusual for her to not remember all the details given the circumstances... plus I'm not surprised they don't remember either.

Plus, I was a teen/in college in the 80s. In many circles that would not have been thought of as "assault" or "attempted rape". They would have thought of it as wild party boy antics, "you know how guys get", "well weren't you flirting with him?", etc etc etc.

My only point that it is highly likely at the time, the boys involved wouldn't have considered themselves as having done anything that would stick out in their minds. They might have done stuff like that all the time and never thought twice.

Guys like that were considerd jerks maybe, but not rapists or assaulters.

It's way better now than it was then. I woudn't go back for anything.
This. And, I think it's part of why so many people who are Gen X or older are like "why is this a big deal?"

Kind of like how they thought Trump's Access Hollywood ramblings were "locker room talk."

They are fine with the misogynistic slant and the boorish behavior that dominated their formidable years.

I'm not okay with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies