Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 11:06 AM

189 posts, read 110,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The Republicans have said all along that someone probably did something to her, but it wasn't Kavanaugh. She can't prove her claim, and he can't disprove it after so long. It's BS. Are we supposed to let Kavanaugh be the stand-in for her assaulter (if it ever happened and I have serious doubts myself)?

Are we supposed to believe that drinking in high school and college should destroy someone's life when there is ample proof that he has had an exemplary career with no allegations of impropriety, and six deep FBI background checks where no allegations of excessive drinking or violence were made?
Saying that "something" happened to her but not believing that she knows "what" or "who" is the definition of not believing her. She KNEW Bret Kavanaugh and she KNEW that it was him. The same way you KNOW you spoke to your friend last week, but maybe can't remember if it was Tuesday at 3 PM or Wednesday at 2 PM.

She was attacked. She thought, "Bret Kavanaugh just attacked me!" and she felt lucky to get away and get home. 20 years later, she isn't thinking, "someone attached me when I was in high school" - She has remembered the attack and who perpetrated it. I can remember lots of events from my younger days. But I can't tell you exactly what day these events occurred.

He engaged in underage drinking.... he drank a LOT in college according to his friends. He lied multiple times when being questioned. Perhaps his career has been exemplary and he is doing a great job in his current position. But I think he's proven that he doesn't deserve this promotion.

Let's look at some other qualified candidates. I'll bet there are probably some that tell the truth and can keep their temper under stress.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:08 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This. And, I think it's part of why so many people who are Gen X or older are like "why is this a big deal?"

Kind of like how they thought Trump's Access Hollywood ramblings were "locker room talk."

They are fine with the misogynistic slant and the boorish behavior that dominated their formidable years.

I'm not okay with it.
I'm GenX. Many of my contemporaries don't seem to get what's wrong with that. Luckily I taught my daughter a different way than I was raised. Between that and the progress of 30 years in our society I have her checking me when I say something that turns out to be part of the old conditioning. She was at an job orientation and was harassed by a guy. She moved away from him and told him to stop. He moved closer to her and continued. She went to the instructor and had him removed. The way I was raised I would have felt guilty for getting him in trouble or been taught to view it as a compliment. I'm so proud of the generation behind me. I'm proud of us GenXers for raising them.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:09 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northshorenative View Post
Saying that "something" happened to her but not believing that she knows "what" or "who" is the definition of not believing her. She KNEW Bret Kavanaugh and she KNEW that it was him. The same way you KNOW you spoke to your friend last week, but maybe can't remember if it was Tuesday at 3 PM or Wednesday at 2 PM.

She was attacked. She thought, "Bret Kavanaugh just attacked me!" and she felt lucky to get away and get home. 20 years later, she isn't thinking, "someone attached me when I was in high school" - She has remembered the attack and who perpetrated it. I can remember lots of events from my younger days. But I can't tell you exactly what day these events occurred.

He engaged in underage drinking.... he drank a LOT in college according to his friends. He lied multiple times when being questioned. Perhaps his career has been exemplary and he is doing a great job in his current position. But I think he's proven that he doesn't deserve this promotion.

Let's look at some other qualified candidates. I'll bet there are probably some that tell the truth and can keep their temper under stress.
How about some evidence?

Old 10-01-2018, 11:10 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Not everyone is cut out to be a Supreme Court justice.
It is kind of funny. I was thinking that most of the Congress, let alone the Supreme Court are older, in many cases, considerably older than Brett Kavanaugh.

Many are in fact Baby Boomers who were young in the 1960s. Can you imagine if we looked into their past and seen what they did when they were young? Not just 20 something or college kids. No back into when they were teenagers, hell why not back into when they were in grade school?

I doubt if we would have many of our current members still sitting in the Congress or the courts!

Old 10-01-2018, 11:13 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Except that Trump didn't restrict the FBI investigation.

The liberals (including Flake) who demanded the investigation, specified that it be "limited in time and scope".

Nice try.
That remains to be seen. We have Trump saying "FBI has free rein" yet they are also not allowed to investigate claims about his drinking habits. People are coming out saying this man drank himself under the table, or in other words, "passed out."

At the end of the day, Grassley played this game perfectly. We don't know what Flake and the Democratic caucus of the Judiciary Committee had agreed to - but it seems like there was a legitimate misunderstanding when Grassley called the vote. Once Grassley got the nominee out of committee, it seems that there was some backtracking on what the investigation would entail.

I look at it this way. I've been investigated multiple times (background checks). Probably ones not that different than Judge Kavanaugh had in previous years. They take... months. Months! Not 1 week. I really doubt you can throw enough bodies at an investigation with questionable scope to get any actual results.

There were calls to have the FBI or Trump release the orders he gave the FBI so the people can see what is being investigated. "Investigation" is very vague. What exactly are they investigating? Who knows. This is all about perception. Republican Senators won't care WHAT was investigated. They'll just care that there was some sort of investigation and Kavanaugh came out clean. The end. 51-49 vote. It's about winning at all costs.

It is pretty sad that the bar for what is considered acceptable to be on the SCOTUS is set so low. Kavanaugh comes across as a politician more than a justice. Nominate someone else and do it in the lame duck session. I don't care if the nominee is further to the right.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:14 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Her privacy. She isn't going to be living in a fortress.
Maybe she gave up her privacy for her cause.

In any case, once the story dies down she will have her privacy back.

When all is said and done, she gave up hardly any privacy because she provided almost no details and she has scrubbed the internet of all her info.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
It is kind of funny. I was thinking that most of the Congress, let alone the Supreme Court are older, in many cases, considerably older than Brett Kavanaugh.

Many are in fact Baby Boomers who were young in the 1960s. Can you imagine if we looked into their past and seen what they did when they were young? Not just 20 something or college kids. No back into when they were teenagers, hell why not back into when they were in grade school?

I doubt if we would have many of our current members still sitting in the Congress or the courts!
These are pretty serious allegations. I love me some Sanders, but if he had done something like this at any time in his past and then tried to lie about it while the accusers gets lamb basted I would want to see him removed. This is too important of an issue to turn it into politics. Which is why, if it is a political set up, the people who set this up need to be held accountable.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:18 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Richard Blumenthal: He's a liar!

Cory Booker: He's a sexual molester!

Nancy Pelosi: He's unqualified!

Mazie Hirono: He's stupid.

Dick Durbin: He's taking too much of our time.

Dianne Feinstein: He's unethical and wreckless with his own trusted staff.

Maxine Waters: Impeach Fodifav! Impeach Fodifav!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
For the love of this country vote red this November. Don’t reward these disgusting tactics and behavior we’re seeing out of the left. They have nothing positive to offer and are blinded by hatred. There is too much at stake, too much going right to hand it over now
Let the reds vote red. All we have to do is get off our ass and vote. We do that, we beat them.

5 billion twitter bashes on Trump equals zero blue votes. It's simple math. Just ask Hillary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Uh oh....Somebody had a little too much red pill? Got them eyes of truth googles on do you now? Quick, how many sheeple am I holding up?
I'm sorry. I have a 4 x 4 outside that acts better than Keanu Reeves or Johnny Utah or whatever his name is. I gotta go. I gotta job interview with Mr. Anderson shortly.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-01-2018 at 11:51 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Trump has been giving a Presser on his new Trade agreement and it's now changed to Kavanaugh and he is torching the Democrats calling out Booker, Blumenthal in particular for the scumbags that they are.
The best part of the presser on the new Trade Agreement is that he SHUT DOWN all questions that were not about the Trade Agreement ..... just as he should. These Leftist Media Rabid Dogs turn every Presser on important issues into their Agenda. Today the President said -- NO. "Do you have a question on Trade?" I'll get to you at the end of the Important stuff we are here to talk about".

Well done ..... Sarah Sanders should do exactly the same thing.
The Leftist Media is all about ME-ME-ME and Grandstanding -- Normal People want to know about issues.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:23 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northshorenative View Post
Saying that "something" happened to her but not believing that she knows "what" or "who" is the definition of not believing her. She KNEW Bret Kavanaugh and she KNEW that it was him.
That isn't really believable. Her best friend, who Ford said was there, already submitted a statement under penalty of perjury that she didn't know BK. How would Ford know him but her best friend did not if they were at the same house party with just a few people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies