Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 02:23 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It was incredibly bizarre and really stupid for him to make the remark about the Clintons, who have absolutely nothing to do with any of this ****show right out of the blue for no reason at all.

Everyone picked up on it immediately, and pegged him as not only partisan, but prone toward conspiracy theories. Just a really really stupid thing to say, and I think it made everyone think twice about his judgment.

It actually sounded like one of those paranoid Trump tweets, and despite the RWNJs ability to kid themselves into believing that just everyone believes it--nobody other than the extremist right wingers do.
Big backstory on that -- it's the main excuse (he worked on the Starr report) they tried to use in 2006 to keep him from being confirmed to the Federal Bench - several articles about it again this year BEFORE he brought it up in his statement. He was talking specifically to the Democrats and they knew it.
They kept him on hold for 3 years.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:25 PM

7,810 posts, read 6,388,633 times
It’s because she made the entire thing up, or this actually happened with different people and she’s being opportunistic.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:26 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,515,336 times
McConnell: Senate will hold Kavanaugh vote 'this week'

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said the Senate will hold a vote on Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination this week.

"The time for endless delay and obstruction has come to a close. Judge Kavanaugh's nomination is out of committee. We're considering it here on the floor and ... we'll be voting this week," McConnell said.

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Big backstory on that -- it's the main excuse (he worked on the Starr report) they tried to use in 2006 to keep him from being confirmed to the Federal Bench - several articles about it again this year BEFORE he brought it up in his statement. He was talking specifically to the Democrats and they knew it.
They kept him on hold for 3 years.
But so many people live off sound bytes that they don't even know that. I mean, come on, that's ancient history - twelve years or even twenty ago! A life time ago. Except of course if you're digging into high school yearbook entries that are 36 years old - now THOSE are pertinent - some might even say timeless.

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
So Ford texts the Washington Post about this alleged incident with Kavanaugh on or about july 7-9. Ford states there were 2 boys present and includes the info that she has the marriage therapy notes. The therapy notes state 4 boys were present.

Ford amends the copy of the therapy notes to "2 boys were preseent'' and testifies the therapist made an error in the notes.

2 boys present is Kavanaugh and Judge; 4 boys present would mean 2 additional boys that would need to be tracked to verify. Too many ''boys'' would have been a problem.

Ford needed to keep her story straight.

This and, among other things, the politics played by Feinstein & Katz since early August using an attempted rape story about a sitting Federal judge and a nominee to the SCOTUS, completely poisons this whole thing.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:27 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Actually - Kavanaugh's extreme partisanship has been noticed when he applied for other jobs and he was downgraded by the ABA for same.
false.

Quote:
It had downgraded him in 2006 over concerns about litigation experience.
Kavanaugh Reclaims Highest ABA Rating Ahead of Senate Hearings | Bloomberg

Old 10-01-2018, 02:29 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djt2020 View Post
I partied a lot as a young adult and have some crazy/traumatic memories. When I think about them,

(1) I can remember where the party was
(2) I can name at least a few people there
(3) I can't name everyone who was there if the number exceeded a couple people
(4) I can't remember exactly how many drinks I had at any party

Sort of interesting that Ford's memory works the opposite way. "I know I had exactly 1 beer but I don't know anything about the location or owner of the house beyond the fact that it was a house with exactly 4 guys there who I can name." Sorry, but if this was an actual criminal trial she'd be dismissed as a non-credible witness.

Or maybe I'm just really good at remembering where I was at the time that an event happened?

I think locations, and reasons for being at the location, are usually the first thing a person can remember about an incident.
I didnt party very often as a kid. But I did go to a couple. Some had some spectacular issues. and I

1. Can't tell you where they were, or whose house they were at except for 1 or 2 at my best friends.
2. I can name a few people there, but not all-just like Dr. Ford.
3. I can tell you how many drinks I had at a couple of them because I didnt drink much as a kid.

In other words, my memories work much like Fords. In fact so do yours. Except you remember where parties were. The differenc may be that someone else didnt take you to someones home who you didnt know. But its hard to say.

Your argument really doesn't match the experiences of most people I think. Especially those of us as old as judge Kavanaugh and Dr Ford.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:30 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times
It’s not what you know, it’s what you can prove, and she can’t prove a single thing. Crying about it in front of people doesn’t make an allegation credible.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:32 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The FBI has thousands of agents and huge resources. They can easily do the interviews in 3 days. Then a day to coordinate all the info. I would suspect this is at the top of their To Do list this week.

They may stall a day just so Dems don't say they rushed the process.
If the midterms haven't happened yet the dems are still going to say they rushed the process.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djt2020 View Post
I partied a lot as a young adult and have some crazy/traumatic memories. When I think about them,

(1) I can remember where the party was
(2) I can name at least a few people there
(3) I can't name everyone who was there if the number exceeded a couple people
(4) I can't remember exactly how many drinks I had at any party

Sort of interesting that Ford's memory works the opposite way. "I know I had exactly 1 beer but I don't know anything about the location or owner of the house beyond the fact that it was a house with exactly 4 guys there who I can name." Sorry, but if this was an actual criminal trial she'd be dismissed as a non-credible witness.

Or maybe I'm just really good at remembering where I was at the time that an event happened?

I think locations, and reasons for being at the location, are usually the first thing a person can remember about an incident.
Maybe you just aren't in your 50's yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies