Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 01:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As someone that will go to work in the morning and set prices for a major corporation, yeah...you just nailed it.

I mean dear god, there is a blankin' formula that incorporates expenses, capital usage, TAXES etc. I just get tired of how stupid most people are sometimes. Honestly, it wouldn't annoy me so much except with regards to topics like this where people with absolutely NO CLUE weigh in like they just slept at a holiday inn express when they don't have even basic math, statistical, analytical or finance knowledge.

It ALL gets passed along to the consumer unless you have some sort of inefficient market situation like a monopoly.

When I see an artist, a landscaper, a plumber, a OBGYN, an arborist, a cellist etc. I respect that they know WTF they are doing in their expertise. However, with regards to topics like statistics, finance and economics, we have hordes of politically motivated imbeciles that have zero clue yet make strong grossly uninformed statements. A bunch of egotistical morons packed full of hubris.
Thats kind of what I said in another thread about McDonalds raising wages, its not like people are going to stop eating at McDs because the cheeseburgers are now $1. more since the worker is making $12-15...they will be as busy as they always are.

I would not mind paying $1 more for a burger at McDs either, if I knew the employees were making enough to live on and support their families, I would be totally fine with that, and I would also NOT expect to get a raise either, Im not having any problems supporting myself, in other words, my job pays me enough, so there is no problem there. Im not sure why some people think they now deserve a raise since people making MW do? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 01:25 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats kind of what I said in another thread about McDonalds raising wages, its not like people are going to stop eating at McDs because the cheeseburgers are now $1. more since the worker is making $12-15...they will be as busy as they always are.

I would not mind paying $1 more for a burger at McDs either, if I knew the employees were making enough to live on and support their families, I would be totally fine with that, and I would also NOT expect to get a raise either, Im not having any problems supporting myself, in other words, my job pays me enough, so there is no problem there. Im not sure why some people think they now deserve a raise since people making MW do? LOL
Why wouldn’t they? If you’re a trained mechanic or electrician who worked for years for certification or paid for trade school and you have a minimum wage come in that pays the helper that just got hired $1 less than you’re making, yes you will demand more money and be pissed off.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:48 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Actually, fast casual has grabbed large chunks of fast food clientele, as the price gap shrunk between them.

I will likely watch NYY at casual restaurant vs fast food, tonight, and all of the big chains offer weekday specials which are ultra competitive vs fast food. MW is a big part of why they can. Casual dining has larger % of staff at sub minimum which is mainly unchanged. McD's lacks that luxury, so when you raise MW, you put McD's at competitive disadvantage vs sit down casual dining.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:27 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Actually, fast casual has grabbed large chunks of fast food clientele, as the price gap shrunk between them.

I will likely watch NYY at casual restaurant vs fast food, tonight, and all of the big chains offer weekday specials which are ultra competitive vs fast food. MW is a big part of why they can. Casual dining has larger % of staff at sub minimum which is mainly unchanged. McD's lacks that luxury, so when you raise MW, you put McD's at competitive disadvantage vs sit down casual dining.
LOL, no .Families on the go/run will chose a fast food over a "casual anytime", different clientele.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:32 AM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Most of these fast casual offer to go deals - no reason not to have a better quality of food for a couple of bucks more - and it makes the parents feel not as guilty about not cooking the meal at home. LOL.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:48 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The real min. wage is zero.
Yes I whole heartedly agree. But wait for the "STEM wages are driven down" lobby ( who themselves have a psycology degree and do some programming)

Old 10-03-2018, 05:03 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Corporations have only one duty as a corporation. To earn as much profit as corporately possible for their shareholders. Anything less than that, by law, is wrong and they can be penalized for.

Until we rewrite the books, change the way corporations behave, you will always have companies like Walmart that do what they do in accordance with the law.
Actually, there was a time in our history when shareholders were a minority stake holder in the majority of business in this country. The mom and pop type business did not have stocks on wall street.

Capitalism can exist just fine without shareholders. They have become the third party in the way costing consumers a lot of money.

The motto in this country used to be the customer is number one and was rewarded with high quality American made goods.

Now the new motto is the shareholder is number one and the customer gets cheap plastic trinkets from communist china.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:32 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No.

At one time, we left it up to people to either work more hours at a 2nd job, or learn some useful skills to get past jobs meant for the new unskilled entrant to the workforce.

That was as it should have stayed.
At one time Disney (etc) would never have imported H1bs and laid off Americans.
At one time the richest created railroads and industries, now many merely use wealth to skim wealth and yet we as a country do not differentiate them from venture capitalists and tax them the same.
At one time vertical price fixing was illegal.
At one time we enforced anti trust.
At one time there was a dignified job for the guy with an IQ of 90. You are not going to make a tech worker out of IQ90 and that is 25% of the population.
blah blah blah

Old 10-03-2018, 06:20 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Oh yes, Amazon is a terrible place to work, at least in the distribution centers, the 6 warehouses they have around here are always hiring, their employee turnover is crazy high, they cannot keep employees at all. Many quit their first day, walk off the job or go to lunch and never come back.
I don't know about any of that as I have never been in any distribution centers but you are right that this is more about not being able to keep employees than it is about social justice crap. The economy is so strong and the job market is so tight that wages must increase in order to retain employees.

However, I think that raising the minimum wage to 15/hour might have the unintended consequence of raising the high school drop out rate. If a kid can make a living and contribute to their family's household by flipping burgers or fulfilling Amazon orders, why stay in school?

Old 10-03-2018, 07:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Why wouldn’t they? If you’re a trained mechanic or electrician who worked for years for certification or paid for trade school and you have a minimum wage come in that pays the helper that just got hired $1 less than you’re making, yes you will demand more money and be pissed off.
Large scale private sector employers have a compensation philosophy, lead, match or lag the market.
Large scale employers rarely choose to lag for the obvious reason, turnaround. It’s obvious, Amazon has chosen to lead the market.

When large employers increase their starting wage, it ripples through their entire compensation system.

Perhaps it used to take an Amazon entry level employee 6.5 years ( speculation) of solid above average performance reviews to make $15/ hr. Now $15/hr is the starting wage. So it has to bump the seasoned employee’s wage to say $19.25/ hr. On their next anniversary.

It’s rather fascinating that people love to beat on large scale employers, despite that most have a long term track record of being leaders in terms of compensation packages, compared to ma/pa brick/ mortar.

Reportedly, a first term electrical residential wireman intern makes about $13.33/ hr, ( varies by local economy). This wage represents 30-50% of an experienced worker’s wage. The starting wage was $2-$6 more than Federal Minimum Wage. But now, it lags the starting wage at Amazon.

Which entry level position has the greatest long term income potential? That has to be weighed against the immediate gratification of a higher wage. Regardless, Amazon’s choice to lead as it relates to wage, puts pressure on most employers and will have a ripple effect.

It will also compel increased investment into custom industrial robotics/ technology substitution, designed to be substantially more productive than manpower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies