Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:28 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

I asked my wife this, she said "Absolutely, with Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson"

Old 10-03-2018, 09:31 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Where legal, women should get their concealed carry permits, and TRAINING to enable self defense against bigger, stronger, and possible multiple male assailants.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:31 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
These kinds of discussions often get very, very heated, but as someone with a pretty broad perspective on the subject...here goes...

We've got to separate out the concept of RESPONSIBILITY from the concept of FAULT/BLAME/LIABILITY. They are not the same thing and we use them far too interchangeably.

In a certain sense, to the extent that one is capable of making decisions (for instance, excluding children and those with severe mental disabilities) and to the extent that one is informed/risk-aware (they are aware of the possible cause-and-effect chain of consequence that could occur) then yes, one has a certain degree of responsibility for each of one's choices and everything in one's life. The result of the many things we could always have done differently. But there is a chaos factor, too. You sit down at a restaurant, your first thought is to order what you always do, you know you love that dish. But for some reason that day, you talk yourself into trying something new. It arrives, and damn! It's nasty! You hate it. Is it your fault that it doesn't taste good? No. Are you responsible for the fact that it's sitting in front of you? Yeah. Are you thinking, "If only I'd gone with my first choice..." Yeah, probably. But you had no way of knowing, so you took the risk and there was a chance the result would be good, and a chance it would be bad. If you wanted a guaranteed good result, you would not have taken the risk.

That's how risk works. The results of a risky choice can be good, or bad. While we may not bear fault, we bear some responsibility when we make a risky choice.
Excellent point. I didn't think of it that way. We lock our doors when we leave our homes. Why? We don't want our house broken into, our belongings stolen, and our home to be damaged. If we did not lock our home while away and someone broke in and stole everything, would it be our fault? No. We are not to blame for the burglar's actions. But we should take responsibility to attempt to protect our home each time we leave by locking the door.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:33 AM

37,177 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There seems to be a lot of controversy around this issue. Although there is little debate that women are not responsible for sexual assaults, do they have a duty to protect themselves? If so, how? Avoiding being alone? Not drinking to excess, avoiding skimpy clothing, what? Many individuals of both genders have expressed this opinion. And if she doesn't protect herself in whatever way is deemed necessary or fitting, is the perpetrator less at fault if an assault happens?
She should carry a straight razor and gut any sonofabitch who lays his hands on her without permission like a catfish.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:35 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Excellent point. I didn't think of it that way. We lock our doors when we leave our homes. Why? We don't want our house broken into, our belongings stolen, and our home to be damaged. If we did not lock our home while away and someone broke in and stole everything, would it be our fault? No. We are not to blame for the burglar's actions. But we should take responsibility to attempt to protect our home each time we leave by locking the door.
What do you wear at the beach? Is it "skimpy"?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:37 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Does a person have a "duty" to protect themselves from being murdered, kidnapped, burglarized or any other crime, fill in the blanks? Duty? Strange idea. Ask all the crime victims of these types of crime if they failed their "duty" to protect themselves. WTH???

Old 10-03-2018, 09:49 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
when I was a sophomore in college the brother of a female acquaintance who lived in my dorm invited me to a house party of his friend who attended another school.

when we got to this party everyone was drunk, high and it was early in the evening. a couple of the boys were scaring me with their talk and sexual demeanor. You know that feeling don't ya, girls. I didn't have time for a drink as I told my date we were leaving the party right then. he refused, but I forcibly took his car keys and emphatically told him he was coming with me or walking home. He decided to leave with me. this experience taught me a valuable lesson at 19. don't ever go to a remote place where there isn't a single person you know with a male you don't know.

women have to use common sense and listen to their gut feelings. the importance of making good smart choices and personal responsibility can't be underestimated.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:49 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Does a person have a "duty" to protect themselves from being murdered, kidnapped, burglarized or any other crime, fill in the blanks? Duty? Strange idea. Ask all the crime victims of these types of crime if they failed their "duty" to protect themselves. WTH???
I think we'd all agree that you DO have a duty to yourself to protect yourself from crime. That's why we scoff when people's cars get stolen when they've left the key in the ignition, if they mail large amounts of cash, if they leave their bike parked in public but not chained, etc.

Wait, what, you left the front door wide open when you went for a walk????

That sort of thing.

I think maybe the difference here, vs. sexual assault is that the robbers and the community aren't whining when they are arrested that of course they stole the bike, who wouldn't?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:51 AM

669 posts, read 320,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
No, the perpetrators are not less at fault. Stop the victim bashing. Men need to control their barbaric acts of sexual assault and aggression, period.
I wonder if you know, there are those who regret their decisions than re-classify it as assault against their will.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:53 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
I wonder if you know, there are those who regret their decisions than re-classify it as assault against their will.
Do you wonder about the larger number of women who don't report being raped?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies