Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 10:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't know if women discuss rape or any other form of sexual assault with others.

I do have 6 sisters though. The consensual sex talk that went on between them and their friends I overheard growing up would make any man blush.

Whoa!

Not sure what happens in adulthood though. Eventually we all got our own places.
I noted that some discuss their sexual desires and experiences. I just wanted to point out that not all do. Both are normal.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:11 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Men know the difference between getting consent and not. They are responsible for their own actions as are women. But if a woman goes the extra mile to protect herself, whether it's with self defense classes, carrying a gun, or whatever, maybe it doesn't actually increase her personal safety, but if it makes her feel safer, that alone is worth the investment of time and money.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:12 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
No, the perpetrators are not less at fault. Stop the victim bashing. Men need to control their barbaric acts of sexual assault and aggression, period.
Sure they do, but history tells us that women should take precautions anyway since we live in the real world, not the imaginary utopia where parents “teach their sons not to rape” and lo and behold, rape disappears.

I do not blame victims at all, but I for damn sure am not going to go alone to a house or apartment/dorm of some guy I barely know. I’m not going to get so drunk I can barely stand at any party or bar. I’m not going to walk to my car in a crowded parking lot without being hyper aware of my surroundings. I’m going to lock my doors. I’m not going to walk or jog with headphones and be totally unaware of my surroundings.

And I realize that even taking all those precautions won’t make me completely safe. Most men aren’t rapists, but some are. Just as most people aren’t killers, but some are. And no amount of parenting will change some of these people because they are just mean.

I know a woman who got raped by a man who broke into her apartment when she was out to dinner, and hid in her back patio outside her bedroom while she got all comfortable. All the sudden he came out of her bedroom and did unspeakable things to her, then burglarized her home.

I knew two young girls, my friends in elementary school, who were playing at our apartment complex when a man came up and forced them at gun point to go to a vacant apartment where he raped them. They were 10 years old.

There is evil in this world, and unfortunately we can’t wish it away. It sure would be nice if we could.

Last edited by katygirl68; 10-03-2018 at 10:25 PM..

Old 10-03-2018, 10:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I noted that some discuss their sexual desires and experiences. I just wanted to point out that not all do. Both are normal.
Gotcha.

I'm just pointing out that not only do they discuss it...their conversations would induce embarrassment inside an NFL locker room.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There seems to be a lot of controversy around this issue. Although there is little debate that women are not responsible for sexual assaults, do they have a duty to protect themselves? If so, how? Avoiding being alone? Not drinking to excess, avoiding skimpy clothing, what? Many individuals of both genders have expressed this opinion. And if she doesn't protect herself in whatever way is deemed necessary or fitting, is the perpetrator less at fault if an assault happens?

yes women have a duty to protect themselves as best they can. be aware of who is around them, avoid taking drinks from strangers, avoid leaving their drinks unattended, go out with a group of people they know, all common sense stuff. they can get their concealed carry license and carry a firearm around with them at all times. they can learn a martial art or two, akido and judo are two good ones for women to learn.

and when they re out and about by themselves, they need to be even more aware of their surroundings. they need to learn to see into the shadows when out at night. and these also apply to men.

understand that when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away. so the myth of the knight in shining armor coming to the rescue in the nick of time isnt going to happen. we all must take responsibility for our own security. if we dont, no one else will.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I didn't agree either, but I read a Facebook post wherein a woman said she believed a woman had a duty to avoid excessive alcohol use and carry a gun to protect herself from rapists. And she has a grown daughter herself! Smh. Men should have enough self control to be able to resist violent impulses. I have a brilliant idea. Let's invent a robot sex doll brothel!
So you think the woman’s advice is wrong? Most men do have enough self control, but there are evil people who don’t have self control. In fact, they thrive on people’s pain and their power over them. You laugh at the woman with the daughter, but I think she understands the world pretty well.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I asked my wife this, she said "Absolutely, with Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson"

Bingo!

Old 10-03-2018, 11:19 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineyards99 View Post
Nope. Most women don’t. You have been watching too many chick flicks.
I think most single women have female friends and they talk about men and dating. I don't watch chick flicks .

Old 10-03-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I personally don't have a problem with women dressing sexy and acting sexy per se. Most of them are promiscuous and sleazy on the down low anyway.

But I can't get on board the sexual harassment of women hysteria for one of many reasons because I don't respect their choices in cads and low lives over decent men, so why should I in principle respect their choice of who they don't want either.
Geez, dude!

Old 10-03-2018, 11:23 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Who said she wants to be raped?

No place in the OP was that sentiment expressed.

I hear that type of response in this type of thread all the time.

Same thing with sexual harassment.

No, she doesn't deserve to be harassed/raped.

Dressing provocatively doesn't invite unwanted attention.

But that doesn't mean that it doesn't attract it.

Denying that flies in the face of reason and common sense.
While I do not agree with it, but its also important to keep in mind, many jurors DO factor things into their decision during sex crime trials, Ive read about a few cases where jurors thought the female was dressed too provocatively, or she was in the 'wrong' part of town at night, etc etc.

It is certainly not 'PC', but since many jurors see it as a factor, it has to be taken into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies