Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 02:24 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
She should carry a straight razor and gut any sonofabitch who lays his hands on her without permission like a catfish.
If it were possible for all females to be implanted with something that could only be activated by and do harm in case of attack, it could end it. But I guess that is too unrealistic and futuristic. Just saying, if only it were established, a universal awareness of females having been armed with something permanent, it seems it would be the only way to prevent attacks.

Otherwise, if all males were impressed upon with what is right and wrong, it would help, but then there are mental issues that it has to do with, developing for other reasons, so that would need to be prevented, also. How one is raised and other influences has a lot to do with it.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 10-05-2018 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: More

Old 10-05-2018, 02:38 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There seems to be a lot of controversy around this issue. Although there is little debate that women are not responsible for sexual assaults, do they have a duty to protect themselves? If so, how? Avoiding being alone? Not drinking to excess, avoiding skimpy clothing, what? Many individuals of both genders have expressed this opinion. And if she doesn't protect herself in whatever way is deemed necessary or fitting, is the perpetrator less at fault if an assault happens?
This again. OK how about men follow all the rules instead. Don't drink too much lest you be tempted to get all rapey. Avoid being alone. A woman who makes you rape her could get you. Wear special clothing to contain your penis if you can't.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
As noted, the perpetrator is always at fault. However, the argument I have seen that it is wrong and/or misogynistic to even suggest that women should use caution or take steps to protect themselves or avoid danger (because they "shouldn't" have to) is ludicrous and irresponsible. There are plenty of things I shouldn't have to worry about, but I still take reasonable precautions to prevent bad things from happening or to ameliorate their effects.
But we have to take all those same ones and then a whole list of totally unreasonable ones on top of it.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I mean, what do you do to protect yourself from sexual assault?
I mean, that is the billion dollar question isn't it? There is no such thing unless we never leave the home except in the company of a 'guardian' who might freaking rape us himself. There is not ever ever ever enough we can do.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Self preservation is a human instinct. We all have a duty to try to keep ourselves free from harm. It is in our DNA. That doesn't mean women are in any way responsible for sexual assaults. I don't care how they dress, nor if the are flirtatious, or not.

Including:

If she has a drink (in any setting) and another puts something in it to make her unconscious.

If she is alone with someone she has gone out with before, but who ends up raping her.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Do you wonder about the larger number of women who don't report being raped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
if you don't report being raped then that is your choice. But then you have to accept consequences. The rapist will go free and likely rape someone else
So, thinking about that is also on the woman's shoulders, after having been traumatized. Each instance can be of a different level. Besides the overburden of Rape kits sitting on shelves, not ever having been processed, was reported to be a problem years ago. There are many reasons why a woman will not report it. It's complex and not as cut and dried and one may think.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 10-05-2018 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 10-05-2018, 04:55 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
This again. OK how about men follow all the rules instead. Don't drink too much lest you be tempted to get all rapey. Avoid being alone. A woman who makes you rape her could get you. Wear special clothing to contain your penis if you can't.
"A woman who makes you rape her?" Self control and empathy and class. Education. Hey guys, how about some respect for girls and women. We were not put on earth, so that men can just run over us through life. Show some class, guys. Not all women or men are the same. Sounds like some serious thinking needs to take place. Crazy times. As usual.

Of course having a low class president as a role model does not help. That may change. Soon, I hope.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:33 AM

I was taking the rules for women and flipping them onto the men.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:39 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I was taking the rules for women and flipping them onto the men.
There are no rules but women certainly can be proactive to minimize their chances of becoming a victim.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:52 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
There are no rules but women certainly can be proactive to minimize their chances of becoming a victim.
That is what I taught my daughters. Going to a frat party might seem like fun and most are. Just know the Frat throwing the party and always use the buddy system.

I taught my son the same thing.

Don't make yourself the target. Don't be the weak one because you are alone. Use some common sense. You wouldn't accept candy from a complete stranger, why would you accept a drink?

It's a tough world we live in. Dreaming of a Utopian society doesn't and won't change the fact that there are predators among us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies