Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 01:00 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There seems to be a lot of controversy around this issue. Although there is little debate that women are not responsible for sexual assaults, do they have a duty to protect themselves? If so, how? Avoiding being alone? Not drinking to excess, avoiding skimpy clothing, what? Many individuals of both genders have expressed this opinion. And if she doesn't protect herself in whatever way is deemed necessary or fitting, is the perpetrator less at fault if an assault happens?
Speaking as a male, and living by the questions that are being asked above, I believe in equality across the board, the bottom line is watch your own a$$, or suffer the consequences.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:07 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You are wasting your time again...

"You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it think."

Haven't you read enough to realize when someone WANTS to believe what they do, regardless the facts, reason or logic, no facts, reason or logic will make a difference!
Fake and inflated statistics aren't facts. And reasoning from biased sources are not something anyone should believe . For example the 1/5 female college students are raped is not true and the real figure is closer to 1%. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...llege-campuses

Old 10-18-2018, 01:10 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I dont know who lied if anyone and neither do you. You can believe, you can assume. Me? I require something more than an accusation. I believe that Dr. Ford believes . I am no fan of Kavanaugh's. I simply feel the burden to prove falls upon the accuser. If I had been Kavanaugh I would have said, "I am not going to respond to these allegations other than to say that they are not true. That would have been my only reply.

You feel her story is solid. You feel her chain of events makes sense. Fortunately the law requires a great deal more. Her witnesses that she herself selected didn't back her story. Her therapist remembers a different story

To say her story is thin is being kind..
Kavanaugh wasn't on trial! As I have said umpteen times, the man was interviewing for a job. He wasn't on trial facing a possible prison sentence. There was zero burden of proof on Dr. Ford whatsoever. And I guarantee anyone who owned a small business would have dropped him from consideration in a minute had they heard these allegations. He's a bad risk and a potential liability. Sure, the supposed incident happened 30 years ago, but what if another woman makes an accusation? Better to hire someone without such skeletons. There are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of lawyers and judges in America. Hire someone else who isn't possibly a sexual predator. It's irrelevant, what's done is done, but there was no criminal standard of proof in the Kavanaugh hearing.

I was watching a TV show about a terrible crime in which a longtime realtor was showing a home to a man who kidnapped and subsequently murdered her. She and her coworkers went to elaborate lengths in an attempt to assure their safety, since they sometimes showed empty houses to men by themselves, and despite her usual precautions, she became a victim anyway. Her downfall? She showed a home alone to the wrong guy. Her coworkers had a secret text message they sent each other if they were in trouble, tried to avoid they never showed homes alone to single men, avoided showing homes at night or homes that had no electricity, and still she became a victim. Women always have to think about this stuff. Men don't. They rarely become victims of sexual attacks. And despite the precautions she took, it wasn't enough

Old 10-18-2018, 02:49 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Fake and inflated statistics aren't facts. And reasoning from biased sources are not something anyone should believe . For example the 1/5 female college students are raped is not true and the real figure is closer to 1%. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...llege-campuses
Talk about bias and misinformation. You are the one spreading false information. You posted an OPINION piece from a 100% right source that was an effort to criticize a bill the author didn't like and criticize democrats for caring about women being raped. Sexual assault is common and the admitted rapists know it, you are the only one insisting on pushing bs.

The exact criticism in your little opinion peice was addressed here in a review of studies and it found that the higher the response rate, the higher the numbers, indicating the higher numbers are more accurate. That's 25% in the three with the highest response rate. These studies covered hundreds of institutions across the US, not just one or a couple colleges. Unlike the cherrypicked study your biased author chose.
"demonstrated that schools with higher response rates had slightly higher rates of sexual assault"
I back up eveything I post with real studies. All of these actual studies show numbers between 20-25%. The studies were also reviewed and showed that most of the assaults were rape/attemted rape, not minor assaults.
It does not matter how badly you want to pretend that sexual assault is rare, it isn't. This is reality.

Numerous studies have found similar numbers to what I posted.
"It's important to note that the four national studies with very high response rates (Koss – 98.5%, Fisher – 86.5%, Ford 100%, and NIJ – 54%) show the highest rates of assault. Jennifer Freyd, a highly regarded researcher at the University of Oregon, confirmed this correlation again when she analyzed the 26-school AAU study and demonstrated that schools with higher response rates had slightly higher rates of sexual assault.
"

Koss, Gidycz, Wisniewski (1987)
3,187 women in 32 institutions
More than 25% of undergraduate women sexually victimized while in college

Ford, Soto-Marquez (2015)
2,345 women in 21 institutions
25% of women sexually assaulted while in college

Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation (2015)
514 women in several hundred institutions
20% of undergraduate women sexually assaulted while in college

Association of American Universities (AAU) (2015)
89,115 women in 27 institutions
23% of undergraduate women sexually assaulted while in college

National Institute of Justice (NIJ) (2016)
15,000 women in 9 institutions
25% of undergraduate women sexually assaulted while in college (2106)

This also has nothing to do with all the admitted rapists. 5-15% of college men admit to and 13% of new Navy enlisted admit to rape or attempted rape. Those are the facts and they keep being repeated over and over.

Studies have also shown between 5-15% of college men admit to sexual assault and 2/3 admit to repeat offenses.

A 2002 study by David Lisak at the University of Massachusetts-Boston, speaking with 1,882 men, found 120 had committed rape or attempted rape. Among those men, 76 reported being a repeat offender.

Lisak’s research and analysis has also shown males are more likely to be sexually assaulted than be falsely accused of rape.

Last edited by detshen; 10-18-2018 at 03:15 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 05:05 PM

I don't care what you say with inflated statistics. The link I gave wasn't just an opinion piece. It pointed out some of the errors in the surveys. 20% of female college students are not raped.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I don't care what you say with inflated statistics. The link I gave wasn't just an opinion piece. It pointed out some of the errors in the surveys. 20% of female college students are not raped.
Digital Magazine Log In | Subscribe
Thursday, October 18, 2018

OPINION
No, 1 in 5 women have not been raped on college campuses
by Ashe Schow
August 13, 2014 10:31 AM

Every time you post you embarrass yourself further with what are either lies, or willful ignorance. Right there at the top, OPINION.

I don't care what nonsense you pull out you rear. Sexual assault is way too common. You are just wrong, deal with it. It was an opinion peice based on ONE cherrypicked study. I posted a review of multiple studies that back up my numbers along with the fact that so many men admit to raping women repeatedly. They state they knew they were raping, not confused about consent. Everything you think is just wrong, think what ever stupid crap you like but you post nonsense, expect to be called out.

Last edited by detshen; 10-18-2018 at 06:45 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 07:04 PM

Typically the surveys would ask if someone had experienced unwanted sexual contact that was defined as things as just touching through clothing. Typically 9-20% of the women would say yes depending on the particular question. That's a far cry from 20% were victims of "rape". It's bogus stats.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Typically the surveys would ask if someone had experienced unwanted sexual contact that was defined as things as just touching through clothing. Typically 9-20% of the women would say yes depending on the particular question. That's a far cry from 20% were victims of "rape". It's bogus stats.
I already stated at least three times the vast majority of these cases in these studies that make up the 20% were rape/attempted rape, not groping or anything else minor. The stats are not bogus no matter how much you want to believe that.

That rapists themselves admit to RAPE and trying to RAPE! There's no confusion. There are large numbers of them and they admit to raping repeatedly, there is no denying the numbers of victims will add up to be very high.

Quoted form my post:

"All of these actual studies show numbers between 20-25%. The studies were also reviewed and showed that most of the assaults were rape/attemted rape, not minor assaults.
It does not matter how badly you want to pretend that sexual assault is rare, it isn't. This is reality.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I already stated at least three times the vast majority of these cases that make up the 20% were rape/attempted rape, not groping or anything else minor. The stats are not bogus no matter how much you want to believe that.

That rapists themselves admit to RAPE and trying to RAPE! There's no confusion. There are large numbers of them and they admit to raping repeatedly, there is no denying the numbers of victims will add up to be very high.

You know the truth contuning to deny it makes you look either dense, a troll or someone who just wants to lie.

Quoted form my post:

"All of these actual studies show numbers between 20-25%. The studies were also reviewed and showed that most of the assaults were rape/attemted rape, not minor assaults.
I don't care what you stated you have a feminist bias. So I went to the survey and read the questions asked and the results and it was just as I described. Sexual contact was described as touching even through clothing and force was described as not too different from what could happen consensually. And only about 9% described sexual contact with force. Most of them were probably party girls anyway.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I don't care what you stated you have a feminist bias. So I went to the survey and read the questions asked and the results and it was just as I described. Sexual contact was described as touching even through clothing and force was described as not too different from what could happen consensually. And only about 9% described sexual contact with force. Most of them were probably party girls anyway.
I posted numerous studies and there are more I left off for space, not one that was cherrypicked. The overall review of multpile studies showed RAPE/ATTEMPTED RAPE at 17% or higher. Telling the truth is not a "feminist" bias.That's nonsensical. Lying and judgeing and excusing the assault of "party girls" shows tremendous bias against women.

I'ts clear I do not show bias against men. I was always quick to point out that most men don't rape. The high numbers are due to the fact that rapists are repeated offenders. One rapists can rack up many, many victims. Good men don't rape or defend rape.

I've also pointed out numerous times that the admitted RAPISTS had no confusion about consent. They knew what they were doing, they knew they were forcefully raping women agaisnt their will. Most human beings consider this a horrible crime whether the girls partied or not. You are always accusing others of what you constantly do, and your bias against women is off the charts.

This is only women during their 4 years of college, women in lower incomes who probably don't attend college are more likely to be raped. Also many are raped before or after college. The 13% of the newly enlisted on the Navy who admit to rape/attemted rape were likely raping women outside of college. That amounts to huge numbers of women who are raped or nearly raped.

Last edited by detshen; 10-18-2018 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies