Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 01:30 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I was merely responding to this:

To which I said:

I'm not sure why after that you launched into a post about "bubba" and a story about how you used to be a D.

If you've actually read my posts, you'd see that I'm firmly Independent. I dispise the two-party system with a passion. Believe whatever you want, though.
Bubba is Bill Clinton. I guess he got called that because he spoke with a southern accent and was from a little town in Arkansas or something.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:33 AM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Many conservative women I know from Ohio have left the R party (over things like Trump and nonsense like the Kavanaugh punch through).

*Shrug*...it looks like you don't speak for them all.
I never claimed to, and obviously you don't either. However I wonder how many you actually know considering you seem very left-wing, thus your association with conservative women is presumably very limited.
Regardless, I know part of the circus the (D's) put on in the senate was trying to make all the male senators look anti-woman by going after Ford when she testified, but they were foiled once again by Grassley.

Now I can see where some women and some men are put off by Trump's tweets and non PC comments, but there is a big difference between not liking the person, but appreciating how well things are going in the country.
As to the Kavanaugh situation, Trump ran on putting original intent constitutionalists on the federal courts, and he delivered. That would only make most moderate/conservative women happy that voted for him in 2016.

`

Old 10-08-2018, 01:37 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I never claimed to, and obviously you don't either. However I wonder how many you actually know considering you seem very left-wing, thus your association with conservative women is presumably very limited.
Regardless, I know part of the circus the (D's) put on in the senate was trying to make all the male senators look anti-woman by going after Ford when she testified, but they were foiled once again by Grassley.

Now I can see where some women and some men are put off by Trump's tweets and non PC comments, but there is a big difference between not liking the person, but appreciating how well things are going in the country.
As to the Kavanaugh situation, Trump ran on putting original intent constitutionalists on the federal courts, and he delivered. That would only make most moderate/conservative women happy that voted for him in 2016.

`
Most of my entire extended family (mostly all in Ohio) as well as a great deal of friends from my past (I grew up and lived in Ohio until college). I've had a lot of very interesting conversations with these people over the last few years. The 2016 election was certainly revealing to me, and in many ways not very surprising considering what I knew about that area of the country.

That said, what has been more interesting to me has been these people's feelings since 2016. Some regret, some satisfaction, some mixture.

But the women are certainly very disgusted with many aspects of it all, and it has pushed many away from the R party (keep in mind, not necesarilly to the D party...but certainly AWAY from the R party).

These people are not super religious, and would likely be described as more "old school" Republican (fiscally conservative, socially more liberal). Virtually none of them have any concern about things like abortion, and find it very weird that people are even talking about it in 2018. Nor do they ever describe themselves as "federalists". I actually have never met, in real life, people who have described themselves that way.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Most of my entire extended family (mostly all in Ohio) as well as a great deal of friends from my past (I grew up and lived in Ohio until college). I've had a lot of very interesting conversations with these people over the last few years. The 2016 election was certainly revealing to me, and in many ways not very surprising considering what I knew about that area of the country.

That said, what has been more interesting to me has been these people's feelings since 2016. Some regret, some satisfaction, some mixture.

But the women are certainly very disgusted with many aspects of it all, and it has pushed many away from the R party (keep in mind, not necesarilly to the D party...but certainly AWAY from the R party).

These people are not super religious, and would likely be described as more "old school" Republican (fiscally conservative, socially more liberal). Virtually none of them have any concern about things like abortion, and find it very weird that people are even talking about it in 2018. Nor do they ever describe themselves as "federalists". I actually have never met, in real life, people who have described themselves that way.
That is fine, but you do not get to define what conservative women are, based on what you term "old school Republicans". You seem to be describing what many would call Rinos today, because a large part of the (R) party is socially conservative, not liberal. They are not for homo marriage, drug legalization, abortion, affirmative action, abolition of LE agencies, etc., etc.

If even the anti-Trumpers are coming around (as a few have in this forum) because of Trump's accomplishments, rest assured conservative women will not abandon the (R) party because Trump is being crass, brash, and rude at times.
Instead they like the direction the country is going in, and the scotus picks are a part of that.

`

Old 10-08-2018, 01:53 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That is fine, but you do not get to define what conservative women are, based on what you term "old school Republicans". You seem to be describing what many would call Rinos today, because a large part of the (R) party is socially conservative, not liberal. They are not for homo marriage, drug legalization, abortion, affirmative action, abolition of LE agencies, etc., etc.

If even the anti-Trumpers are coming around (as a few have in this forum) because of Trump's accomplishments, rest assured conservative women will not abandon the (R) party because Trump is being crass, brash, and rude at times.
Instead they like the direction the country is going in, and the scotus picks are a part of that.

`
And nor do you.

Being "pro-Trump" is not the only definition of conservative. Not even close. In fact, many Trump supporters are pretty far from being conservative (seriously - tariffs? That is not a conservative tenant by any means). Often they're economically rather liberal (regulate so that my failed area of the US can thrive again!!) and are socially conservative (ban those people I don't like!).

Politics are much more complicated than that. Which is why a two-party system is downright terrible.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:16 AM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
I was merely responding to this:

To which I said:

I'm not sure why after that you launched into a post about "bubba" and a story about how you used to be a D.

If you've actually read my posts, you'd see that I'm firmly Independent. I dispise the two-party system with a passion. Believe whatever you want, though.
The rest of my post was in response to the topic of this thread.

I don't know why you had to comment on the post about Bubba since it wasn't directed at you.

Thank you---I believe that you are, if not a dem, an extreme leftist. If I had to guess, you voted for Obama, then Hillary

Old 10-08-2018, 02:19 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The answer to your question, OP, is yes. And these posts are Exhibit A as to why.

They comport perfectly with the Assaulter-in-Chief, who once denied he harassed a woman because he never would "hit" that (as in, she wasn't hot enough to bother with). What self-respecting woman would remain in such a party?
What self respecting woman would remain in a party whose heroine is a woman standing by her unconvicted rapist husband?

Old 10-08-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Bubba is Bill Clinton. I guess he got called that because he spoke with a southern accent and was from a little town in Arkansas or something.
And he liked being called Bubba. I recall once when he was at a rally, a few people held up signs calling him Bubba---and he got a kick out of it.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
What self respecting woman would remain in a party whose heroine is a woman standing by her unconvicted rapist husband?
^^^^Exactly!

Old 10-08-2018, 04:59 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Oh and I have become a bit more moderate over time, but yes, I was a conservative member and left the Republican Party and am independent.
So have many men. Left effectively in 2010 and officially in 2016. Did not register Dem. I loathe both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies