Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about those with completely opposite political views (US)?
Countrymen 20 25.00%
Enemies 29 36.25%
Other/somewhere in between 23 28.75%
I just want to see the poll results 8 10.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 02:15 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,932,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
So what you saying religious people are stupid for supporting Trump which is a falsehood because 80% of the US population has some level of religious belief including liberals.

Second under educated? Wow...since the majority of American work at jobs that don't require a level of education above high school and in fact do quite well...thank you...
I find a vast majority of college grads who were taught by liberal professors are rather street stupid as witnessed by the screaming mob at the Kavanaugh conformation and the anarchic burning and beating people up that don't agree with their anti-American views.
All the above is rather obvious to the majority of Americans.

How do you equate a college education to screaming mobs and people assaulting others. How do the two intersect? They don't. That is a statement an uneducated person would make. Also one completely lacking in street smarts.

Clinton had a +8 margin with college educated voters. Trump had a +9 margin with those without a college education. 17 point swing based on nothing but how intelligent you are. Trump voters are largely uneducated, overly religious, and tribal. I know its a hard pill to swallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I enjoy posts where users seem to think "college" equals "intelligent". I've read more books and acquired more knowledge over the course of my life than most college graduates you will ever meet. In college, I was only taught "specific" knowledge based on my chosen field of study. This means college graduates are educated, but only when it comes to their chosen field of study. Reading and studying on your own, after college, is the key to real knowledge. My mother-in-law, who has been gone for 6 years now, was one of the smartest people I have ever met in my life. The sheer amount of knowledge she possessed on so many subjects was astounding. She had a two year degree in Substance Abuse Counseling. That was the extent of her "college" education. So please, understand, college is not the only road to education and intelligence.

PS. Just as a side note, I thought I'd add that I have worked the elections for the last 6 years. The only voters who come in holding "sample ballots" which have already been filled in to show who the voter should cast their votes for are Democrats. Republicans usually at least know who they are voting for and why before they show up. Democrats, not so much.

There is a direct correlation between intelligence and educational attainment. I know the anti-science loving right will find that hard to believe so please take some time to do a google search or two before posting an ignorant response.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:32 PM

1,406 posts, read 791,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
There is a direct correlation between intelligence and educational attainment. I know the anti-science loving right will find that hard to believe so please take some time to do a google search or two before posting an ignorant response.
Ok

Huffington Post disagrees with you

Old 10-06-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Nice link to a blog post. How about you link a few scholarly articles. I'll get you started.

https://academic.oup.com/ije/article/39/5/1362/802787

Old 10-06-2018, 02:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,834,508 times
Quote:
The political scene in the US is highly polarized, with left and right moving farther apart ideologically. On so many issues, it seems the left and right are diametrically opposed-abortion, racial/identity politics, health care, gun control, wages/economy/taxes, religious freedom, immigration...you name it. Whichever side you are on, how do you feel about the other side? Do you see them as fellow countrymen (and women) and at the end of the day we are all on the same side? Or do you feel you have no common ground with them, that they are just as much the enemy as foreign invaders? Or somewhere in between?

(anonymous poll to come)
I can't stand Trump.

Republcians vs. Democrats -- good and bad with both parties. For me it really does depend on what the major issues are at any given time, the character of the politician, etc.

I would vote for a decent Republican over a corrupt Democrat and vice versa,

I don't think any one party has more integrity.

I don't have history with either party and don't feel emotionally attached to a party. I don't understand the extent to the animosity folks on both sides have for the opposition. It's intense and just crazy.

Trump -- I can't stand and haven't for years and nothing will ever change my mind.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,624,194 times
Quote:
The political scene in the US is highly polarized, with left and right moving farther apart ideologically. On so many issues, it seems the left and right are diametrically opposed-abortion, racial/identity politics, health care, gun control, wages/economy/taxes, religious freedom, immigration...you name it. Whichever side you are on, how do you feel about the other side? Do you see them as fellow countrymen (and women) and at the end of the day we are all on the same side? Or do you feel you have no common ground with them, that they are just as much the enemy as foreign invaders? Or somewhere in between?

(anonymous poll to come)
I voted ‘other’.

Most people of the opposing party are pretty much like me. Have opinions, have reasons for those opinions, but are willing to make at least a few compromises in order to get stuff done.

But when someone calls me traitor or demonic or wishes bad things to happen to me - yeah, I pretty much think of those individuals as my enemies.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:22 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,536,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I voted ‘other’.

Most people of the opposing party are pretty much like me. Have opinions, have reasons for those opinions, but are willing to make at least a few compromises in order to get stuff done.

But when someone calls me traitor or demonic or wishes bad things to happen to me - yeah, I pretty much think of those individuals as my enemies.
Kind of hard not to, I'd say. Put me down as "other," also. It's really something I can only decide on a case-by-case basis, dealing with each person as an individual.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 10-06-2018 at 03:50 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 03:42 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,867,274 times
Countrymen. The only enemies are communists and they are very rare in the US, I have never met one. The new liberal movement is quite strange to me, but they are not communists. At the end of the day no reason we cant sit down at a bar and have a drink together and debate politics.

The enemy are people who want to end private property. The Democrats for all their faults still accept capitalism and private property. The Republicans for all their positives still cling to outdated social laws. Anyone who argues otherwise is only fooling themselves and making enemies with people who might not need to be.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:53 PM

18,750 posts, read 11,719,220 times
Countrymen. We are all American's first. We should never forget that. United we stand, divided is for the foolish.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,797,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Countrymen. The only enemies are communists and they are very rare in the US, I have never met one. The new liberal movement is quite strange to me, but they are not communists. At the end of the day no reason we cant sit down at a bar and have a drink together and debate politics.

The enemy are people who want to end private property. The Democrats for all their faults still accept capitalism and private property. The Republicans for all their positives still cling to outdated social laws. Anyone who argues otherwise is only fooling themselves and making enemies with people who might not need to be.
I met a communist once. We had a ninety minute discussion about our respective political philosophies. Two years later I saw her running for office as a Libertarian. I converted her I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies