Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will we still be one nation of 50 states in 2030?
Yes 69 75.82%
No 22 24.18%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:21 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times

Advertisements

This could be an interesting issue. Democrats will be trying to add blue states like Puerto Rico and DC while Republicans will get behind Native Peoples independence movements in Hawaii and perhaps Hispanic majority states that want to rejoin Mexico or become independent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Attempting to split California or add Puerto Rico would probably lead to a political battle that makes the Kavanaugh hearings look like Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. It's basically asking the country to vote and give the Democrats 2-6 additional senate seats and more electoral college votes.
A 3 state Cali would be Gerrymandering on a mega scale! A 2 state solution might be more equal politically.

I would support PR as a new state. No doubt Blue.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Adding Puerto Rico as a State would be a disaster. It is a 3rd world culture that would add nothing of value to the US while costing us plenty. The Dems just want 2 more Senators on their side of the aisle. I suspect they'll pursue it when they regain power again.

No State will be allowed to leave the US. Not likely any will be allowed to split either.

As for all the moaning about CA only having 2 Senators despite their huge population, they're offset by the reliably small population blue States like Vermont that have 2 Democrat Senators for a population of only 623,000 people.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:58 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
Really surprised that there isn't some movement, from establishment powerful Democrats, to get Puerto Rico added as a state. 2 guaranteed Democratic Senators. The electoral college effect would be nothing, but 2 senators is huge.

Any theories why there isn't a strong push for statehood?

2030 is over 10 years away. I think that is enough time for something in CA to happen.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Adding Puerto Rico as a State would be a disaster. It is a 3rd world culture that would add nothing of value to the US while costing us plenty. The Dems just want 2 more Senators on their side of the aisle. I suspect they'll pursue it when they regain power again.

A disaster for whom?

Of course PR would add value, both on the productivity and consumption sides.

Of course we would spend more to support them. But as we are sovereign in USD as Trump obviously knows, that is not very material.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I can think of two scenarios. Trump wins a second term in 2020 and then Pence in 2024. With a conservative SCOTUS, Roe v Wade and Obergefell is reversed and red states immediately ban gay marriages. After that, they go after the school prayer decision and successfully get school-sponsored prayer back in schools. Schools can also choose to teach creationism/intelligent design instead of evolution if the school district votes on it. The government passes an anti-gay propaganda law to ban all positive mentions of homosexuality in the media, in essence sending gays back into the closet. Laws requiring equal pay for women are repealed which leads to fewer women working. Social security and medicare are ended and healthcare returns to a free market system, yet prices do not go down. The government reaffirms its commitment to the War on Drugs and sends the national guard into states that have legalized marijuana to shut down the dispensaries and arrest all involved. That is very realistically where we'll be in 2028 thinking about the direction we are headed. If this were to happen, I think you would see the west coast and the northeast at least down to Virginia secede.

Likewise, Trump could lose in 2020 or could be impeached. A far-left liberal could get in office. It doesn't seem possible now but a lot could change between now and 2020. I firmly believe if we were to have another Obama-like President, we would see secession movements in the former Confederate states.

Either way, we are no longer one nation with 50 states by 2030. What do you think?
I think we're totally screwed environmentally by 2030, and none of this political mess is gonna matter.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:35 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I can think of two scenarios. Trump wins a second term in 2020 and then Pence in 2024. With a conservative SCOTUS, Roe v Wade and Obergefell is reversed and red states immediately ban gay marriages. After that, they go after the school prayer decision and successfully get school-sponsored prayer back in schools. Schools can also choose to teach creationism/intelligent design instead of evolution if the school district votes on it. The government passes an anti-gay propaganda law to ban all positive mentions of homosexuality in the media, in essence sending gays back into the closet. Laws requiring equal pay for women are repealed which leads to fewer women working. Social security and medicare are ended and healthcare returns to a free market system, yet prices do not go down. The government reaffirms its commitment to the War on Drugs and sends the national guard into states that have legalized marijuana to shut down the dispensaries and arrest all involved. That is very realistically where we'll be in 2028 thinking about the direction we are headed. If this were to happen, I think you would see the west coast and the northeast at least down to Virginia secede.

Likewise, Trump could lose in 2020 or could be impeached. A far-left liberal could get in office. It doesn't seem possible now but a lot could change between now and 2020. I firmly believe if we were to have another Obama-like President, we would see secession movements in the former Confederate states.

Either way, we are no longer one nation with 50 states by 2030. What do you think?
I'm sure as hell all for this scenario...
Quote:
BLUEXIT
A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

Old 10-08-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Really surprised that there isn't some movement, from establishment powerful Democrats, to get Puerto Rico added as a state. 2 guaranteed Democratic Senators. The electoral college effect would be nothing, but 2 senators is huge.

Any theories why there isn't a strong push for statehood?

2030 is over 10 years away. I think that is enough time for something in CA to happen.
The Dems are just as stupid as the Pubs in regards to our needs for federal taxes and central money creation.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:37 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post

No State will be allowed to leave the US. Not likely any will be allowed to split either.

As for all the moaning about CA only having 2 Senators despite their huge population, they're offset by the reliably small population blue States like Vermont that have 2 Democrat Senators for a population of only 623,000 people.
Of the 10 lowest pop states. 4 are blue 5 red 1 purple.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I think we're totally screwed environmentally by 2030, and none of this political mess is gonna matter.
Nah. People will tend to move away from the east coast/Hurricane prone areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies