Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 05:27 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
All that might be true. All I'm saying is America was doing a lot better after the immigration laws after 1921 and when we didn't purposely outsource industry. Most of the things I'm opposed to were purposely and I'd argue foolishly laid in place in the 1960s. America opened its borders to people and trade from all these countries who were not doing the same, and they benefited and the US did not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
It is a good post you made, but the problem is that the beneficiaries are no longer the majority of Americans since the greed of the elite has spelled their doom. I will not be carrying water for the wealthy elite in this country since their voracious appetite and quest for power has no ends and that will not stop until this country is destroyed.

They control Washington DC with their Corporate and Banking Lobbyists. Small Business and Pro Capitalists have no chance against them.

Tell the people working paycheck to paycheck or the increasing homeless or the ones bankrupt from medical bills that they should be grateful for this so that cockroaches in the finance sector can make bank.

I hope to see their lives utterly destroyed in my lifetime. They care exactly ONE BIG 0 about people in this country and I care 0 about them.
I agree 100% with both of you.

I hate it all so much, I wish I could drag these people out into the streets and hang them. My only point is, it wouldn't solve anything. And in fact, it would probably make things worse.

That is what frustrates me so much. Once you understand why the world is the way it is, and once you realize who the real enemy is, you'll see that he can't be defeated.

What do you think the world looks like in a hundred years? Will it become more like you wish it would be?

Last edited by Redshadowz; 10-07-2018 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 07:07 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
It is a good post you made, but the problem is that the beneficiaries are no longer the majority of Americans since the greed of the elite has spelled their doom. I will not be carrying water for the wealthy elite in this country since their voracious appetite and quest for power has no ends and that will not stop until this country is destroyed.

They control Washington DC with their Corporate and Banking Lobbyists. Small Business and Pro Capitalists have no chance against them.

Tell the people working paycheck to paycheck or the increasing homeless or the ones bankrupt from medical bills that they should be grateful for this so that cockroaches in the finance sector can make bank.

I hope to see their lives utterly destroyed in my lifetime. They care exactly ONE BIG 0 about people in this country and I care 0 about them.
I feel your frustration although I may be a tad more optimistic about the future.

Granted, reversing the damages made over the past few decades is quite a big order, particularly in a large interconnected economy like US. Similar to completely reversing a large ship, more difficult & challenging to do, particularly without causing irreparable damage to the ship itself.

Citizens United ruling has already been identified as one of the 13 Worst Supreme Court Decisions of All Time:

https://blogs.findlaw.com/supreme_co...-all-time.html

During his pre-POTUS campaigning (to differentiate from his post-POTUS efforts), Mr. Trump derided the need for campaign reform &/or regulation:

Quote:
"I don't need anybody's money. It's nice. I don't need anybody's money, I’m using my own money. I’m not using the lobbyists. I’m not using donors. I don’t care. I’m really rich.”
So what does that boil down to? (Besides essentially none of it being true.) His campaign finance reform platform is that people ought to be really wealthy so they can't be bought?

(Besides that also not being true.) That would essentially be called a plutocracy.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:39 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD7qzH4ob3Y

I believe he is not guilty of any of these sexual assault charges. The Democrats slandering him with these allegations are despicable.

But the fact he helped get The Patriot Act passed does give me pause in my support for him.

"The documents show that Kavanaugh assisted in the effort to pass the Patriot Act and drafted a statement that President Bush incorporated in the bill signing. Kavanaugh wrote that the PATRIOT Act will “update laws authorizing government surveillance,†which he claimed, and President Bush then restated, were from an era of “rotary phones.†In fact, the PATRIOT Act weakened numerous U.S. privacy laws"
[link to epic.org (secure)]

I know you can say he was just doing his job, but in this action he helped to erode some of the protections afforded by the constitution. He does as you put it "play ball".

The judge is a very strict Libertarian so no surprise.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:49 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The judge is a very strict Libertarian so no surprise.
He is a pro constitutionalist unlike kavanaugh.
You do not pick and choose what you like and violate the other parts.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:26 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
He is a pro constitutionalist unlike kavanaugh.
You do not pick and choose what you like and violate the other parts.

"
Political stance

Napolitano is a well-known libertarian who is a strong advocate of constitutional rights against government encroachment on natural and legal rights"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Napolitano

And what Constitutional things are Kav against?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:56 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"
Political stance

Napolitano is a well-known libertarian who is a strong advocate of constitutional rights against government encroachment on natural and legal rights"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Napolitano

And what Constitutional things are Kav against?
FISA and the Patriot Act are 2 good examples of violating rights.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
I don't really know a lot about Napolitano or Kavanaugh but something is kind of suspicious to me about both of them that I can't quite put my finger on.

In the judiciary hearings I didn't pay close attention but I couldn't quite see his explanation being originalist enough. Then he said he favors females before the allegation of Ford's and that caught my attention.

Does anyone have any input on the originalism angle. I know no one is perfect and even Scalia wasn't always completely originalist.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:06 PM

271 posts, read 139,757 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD7qzH4ob3Y

I believe he is not guilty of any of these sexual assault charges. The Democrats slandering him with these allegations are despicable.

But the fact he helped get The Patriot Act passed does give me pause in my support for him.

"The documents show that Kavanaugh assisted in the effort to pass the Patriot Act and drafted a statement that President Bush incorporated in the bill signing. Kavanaugh wrote that the PATRIOT Act will “update laws authorizing government surveillance,” which he claimed, and President Bush then restated, were from an era of “rotary phones.” In fact, the PATRIOT Act weakened numerous U.S. privacy laws"
[link to epic.org (secure)]

I know you can say he was just doing his job, but in this action he helped to erode some of the protections afforded by the constitution. He does as you put it "play ball".

Good post.

If I was part of the Democrat party leadership, this is one avenue I might try to pursue to rebuild the party's credibility.

I'd go down the line and attack the Patriot Act, select provisions in the NDAA, all domestic spying, reform civil forfeiture laws, and fight against any further infringement to the 4th amendment.

I'd take a break from promoting gender-neutral bathrooms and the transgender agenda, and firmly re-establish myself as the anti-war party.

That would go a long way for attracting Independents back to the party.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyKay44 View Post
Good post.

If I was part of the Democrat party leadership, this is one avenue I might try to pursue to rebuild the party's credibility.

I'd go down the line and attack the Patriot Act, select provisions in the NDAA, all domestic spying, reform civil forfeiture laws, and fight against any further infringement to the 4th amendment.

I'd take a break from promoting gender-neutral bathrooms and the transgender agenda, and firmly re-establish myself as the anti-war party.

That would go a long way for attracting Independents back to the party.
The problem being the Democrats love this stuff now and would never give it up. But they could lie about it, they are good at that.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The problem being the Democrats love this stuff now and would never give it up. But they could lie about it, they are good at that.
Unfortunately for Team Blue they have supported the Patriot Act each time the bell has rung for a vote. Sure, not at the level of Team Red but they love their gestapo-like powers too.

Megalomania is a helluva drug my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies