Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2018, 08:06 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 29 days ago)

34,606 posts, read 16,671,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They already started, need I remind y'all of the Senate Softball game?
I believe it was a House game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 08:08 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,699,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No. Not 36 years late. Further, being a very young silly girl, I wasn't watching what my friend was doing. I was more interested in talking and flirting with the other boys who were there. That friend had no idea Christine has gone upstairs.

36 years ago. Who the hell remembers what happened 36 years ago unless it was VERY MUCH OUT OF THE ORDINARY.

Like she was assaulted.

As far as that VERY YOUNG GIRL - 15 y/o friend was concerned - nothing happened. She was busy talking to others and wasn't paying attention. Therefore, that party which occurred 36 years ago is forgotten.

It REALLY IS as simple as that.

BS. I was assaulted "about" 20 years ago as I said before. All I remember is who did it, that it was a late afternoon on a Saturday and maybe Aug/Sept. in my workplace. Can't be sure of the year - somewhere late 90's/early 2000's.

BUT, I sure as hell remember who did it.

I didn't report it because I'm from the "boys will be boys generation," have always expected men will do things they shouldn't and try to avoid it if I can - but on this day I was taken by surprise and cornered, nothing "really" happened other than a lot of groping, grabbing - and any consequence had I reported it would be all out of proportion to the actual event and give it more significance than warranted.

Geez...... the rationalization of an inconvenient truth explains why people believe the Trump lies. There truly is an alternate universe.

Oh, Kavanaugh did it all right.

That said, I've repeatedly said the allegation should never have seen the light of day because of Kav's youth. Drunk 17 y/o sex-obsessed boys do stupid stuff. They shouldn't have it haunt them their entire lives. That event had no bearing on his qualifications today for SCJ.

However, his dissembling, paranoia and partisanship does. I was neutral on his appointment prior to his tirade.
If no woman ever lied about rape, this would all be very easy. Trouble is, lots of women lie about rape. Women know that it's that fastest, most effective way to destroy a man's life, career, etc.

If it weren't or Crystal Gail Mangum -- for example -- falsely accusing the Duke LaCrosse team it would be easier. If it weren't for thousands and thousands of women over the years making false accusations, this would be so much easier. But sometimes women lie. About 5% of all rape accusations that make it to court are eventually proven to be false claims. About 10% of rape cases lead to convictions. That means we know very little about what's going on with the remaining 85%. It's very hard to prove a negative, so false claims are undoubtedly much higher than 5%. It's also very hard to prove rape, so the cases where there was insufficient evidence is also undoubtedly much higher than 10%. We have absolutely no idea what that translates into. Are 60% of reported rapes real and 40% fake? Is it more like 70%/30% or 50%/50%? We have absolutely no idea. And many many of the men convicted of rape are later proven to be innocent as well. So what does that do to the 10% conviction rate?

What we certainly can glean from these numbers is that false accusation is commonplace. It happens a lot. It happens enough that we can't just "listen and believe" anytime a woman claims she was raped or assaulted. If we believed every woman, a whole lot of innocent men would go to prison. This is why innocent until proven guilty is how we do things. We don't ruin lives or throw people in prison just because they are accused. Just about everyone alive has experience being falsely accused of something.

If something bad happened to you, I'm sorry to hear it. If it happened 20 years ago, I would hope you realize that you've missed any opportunity to do anything about it. If some man groped you and is now running for a high political office, be prepared to be called a liar and a political opportunist. You won't be able to prove that you're not. You might feel common cause with Christine Ford because of your own experiences, but do you really know for certain that she's not just another false accuser?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They've also been taught over their 4 years steeped in liberalism that respect and decorum along with societal rules don't apply when you meet someone from the opposite party or someone who believes differently than you. You are allowed,no REQUIRED in order to keep your liberal creds to "get in their faces" and toss a tantrum using any vile language that pops into their heads.
I went to Cornell, graduating in 1979. I was more staunchly liberal in those days, as was the campus. I went to the 1976 Democratic Convention on a press pass and voted for Carter. The campus was a leftist loony bin, then and now.

When Milton Friedman came to speak one of my friends suggested we go in and shout anti-apartheid and anti-Pinochet (Chile's dictator at the time) slogans. I said, at the young age of 21 or 22 (it was near my birthday) "you got to let him speak his mind. That's what college is all about."

So I don't think it's just age.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:13 PM

8,480 posts, read 3,295,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The she is approaching the levels of the greatest rhetorical contortionists of all times at this point. She is really doing something here. I don't know what and I do not believe she does either. But it sure is something.
We've been on other threads where we argued history to death (Civil War last time, wasn't it?)

Full disclosure: I've worked as an investigator in reviewing large volumes of attorney-compiled information for factual inconsistencies etc. From it, I've developed a profound distaste for distortion.

Ford's testimony drew me because of her apparent fearfulness (with the odd laughter etc. quite typical). I've read a lot about trauma, dealt with several trauma therapists in connection with a family member.

I believed her. Not blindly, and I have wondered whether she could have fabricated the affect. But anyone smart enough to do that wouldn't have left the holes.

That simple.

Carry on.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bingo.

Though I wonder how anyone who has ever raised teens was convinced by Kavanaugh's performance.

Declaring that his life was destroyed reminded me of our teenage daughter declaring that her life was ruined because we wouldn't let her stay out all night on prom night.

The sniveling and sniffling, choking back sobs, the belligerence, the vows to get even, ... all so, so familiar.
When someone who on their face is a decent family man, it's hard to live down those accusations.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:18 PM

17,347 posts, read 9,173,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Garlands nomination deserved more respect for the process, I disagree with how some of the protesters behaved but certainly you can understand the anger.
Hmmm -- let me think about that for a minute.
Character Assassination, wife, little girls, entire career, no proof, unproven allegations, turn Senate hearing into a circus, Dem Senators deliberately let protesters into locked Senate building

NOPE -- it's not "anger" it's a Rabid Mob and the word "respect" is not a word that the Leftists can use.
You own it -- it will be remembered, it will go in the history books.
I believe a Great President named Obama explained it best when he Gleefully Boasted....

Elections have consequences and "I won" .... only then he lost over 1000 elected seats, the House
and the Senate .... that's what I call "consequences".

Old 10-07-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
We have arrived at a maddening paradox where treating women equally is expected, but expecting equality is sexist.
The whole post is great but that's a keeper.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:26 PM

17,347 posts, read 9,173,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Nor did they try. People were trying to contact the FBI but were not allowed through.

FBI interviews only go to age 18; Bart was 17 when this allegation occurred.

The FBI failed to investigate one of THE most important things to come out of that hearing and that was Kavanaugh's tendency to lie under oath.

I've twice been interviewed by the FBI for two friends that applied for jobs. Do you think I told them dirt I knew on those two friends? Or did I tell them the very best parts of those two people and leave off the . . not so good parts.

That is what most people do.
You are WRONG ..... there is no age 18 rule, they go way back. You have t kno provide names of people you have known 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years .... and then they ask THEM for more names.

If you choose to LIE to the FBI for anybody, that your business and it's dangerous business.
Brett Kavanaugh knows better

You choose to believe all this fairy tales and that's fine if you can live with that.
I do advise you to NOT lie to the FBI in the future. It's really not a very bright thing to do.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
A
Women don't come forward because they are often not believed and usually questioned about their "responsibility" for their own assault.
Excuse me, sir or madam. But isn't involuntary nature of the interaction an essential element of "assault." Or should we investigate every childbirth for an "assault" during impregnation?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,871,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You know what's weird?

YOU say democrats have decided that white males are evil.

But overwhelmingly, I will be voting for democratic white males come november.

Kinda hard to square that circle dude.

Know what else? I raised a white male. Yep. 23 years old and teaching in college. But I don't worry. He's was raised to respect women and he's not rapey.

We're good.
I don't care about your weird pathologies or internal dissonance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies